User Tag List

First 35434445464755 Last

Results 441 to 450 of 871

Thread: Ask an INTJ

  1. #441
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I have a good friend who is an INTJ and he's 22. He's been extremely depressed and down about himself for awhile now. He does well academically but strikes out in the land of personal interactions. I've done my best to try and pep him up with positive talk but he always shoots it down. (I do my best to make sure what I say isn't hyperbolic and is based in reality, but I get the whole Fi thing where if one doesn't currently believe something, no one else is going to convince me of it.). He's going off to graduate school soon, which I have suggested will be a much better place for him to fit in. He is unconvinced of this as well.

    What I would like to know, is there anything else I can do to help him out besides what I have been doing? Based on what he confides in me, I know he trusts me implicitly, which I realize is a huge deal. I just don't want him to talk himself out of confidence in himself and his abilities.

    Thanks for listening to me ramble ^_^. Here is a math equation as thanks! 2+3=bunnies!

  2. #442
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    A couple of questions:

    1) What are your feelings on the paranormal/supernatural? Do you think its all nonsense, or is there some types of phenomena you give credence to?

    2) Is there any area in your life where you are particularly prone to impulsive decision-making?

    3) If you loved someone, what could they do to truly disappoint you? What would make you terminate a significant relationship?

    4) Apples or oranges?

    5) Liz Taylor or Marilyn Monroe?
    1) Not enough hard evidence to cause me to believe there isn't a natural explanation.
    2) Hmmm. Not usually.
    3) Betrayal of trust. It takes a great deal for me to trust a person at all. I suggest not fucking with that if they want to remain close to me.
    4) Apples for eating, orange for juicing.
    5) They both seemed too high maintenance for me but on looks alone, Liz wins.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  3. #443
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Gee, Nicodemus - I could have written that myself, except for 5. I'd pick "neither" with Greta Garbo as a write-in.
    Very few are perfect. ;)

  4. #444
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    A couple of questions:

    1) What are your feelings on the paranormal/supernatural? Do you think its all nonsense, or is there some types of phenomena you give credence to?

    2) Is there any area in your life where you are particularly prone to impulsive decision-making?

    3) If you loved someone, what could they do to truly disappoint you? What would make you terminate a significant relationship?

    4) Apples or oranges?

    5) Liz Taylor or Marilyn Monroe?

    1. For me there is only natural. But that does not mean that natural cant be abstract.


    2. I score 100% J for a reason.


    3. I was never in love.


    4. Both.


    5. Does not compute.

  5. #445
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Gee, Nicodemus - I could have written that myself, except for 5. I'd pick "neither" with Greta Garbo as a write-in.
    Ahh. Gosh. This is awkward, but the correct unwritten third option to this question was Sophia Loren. Thanks for playing, tho.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  6. #446
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    1) It means that I care about the person the help is offered to and that they really need it.
    So...you think the person is incompetant?

  7. #447
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohd1122 View Post
    So...you think the person is incompetant?
    Oh dear...

  8. #448
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I have a good friend who is an INTJ and he's 22. He's been extremely depressed and down about himself for awhile now. He does well academically but strikes out in the land of personal interactions. I've done my best to try and pep him up with positive talk but he always shoots it down. (I do my best to make sure what I say isn't hyperbolic and is based in reality, but I get the whole Fi thing where if one doesn't currently believe something, no one else is going to convince me of it.). He's going off to graduate school soon, which I have suggested will be a much better place for him to fit in. He is unconvinced of this as well.

    What I would like to know, is there anything else I can do to help him out besides what I have been doing? Based on what he confides in me, I know he trusts me implicitly, which I realize is a huge deal. I just don't want him to talk himself out of confidence in himself and his abilities.
    I'm going to bamboozle you.

    You can't fill up an already overflowing glass, which is the problem with unhappy perceiver types.

    However, judging types are infact merely half full glasses.

    You need to fill up the other half with something worthwhile and people 'empathise' and 'humanise' the simple information they gain from their environment by bouncing a reflection of their internal self against it.

    What you are seeing is negative half full. Fill it up with achievement, not people.

  9. #449
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I'm going to bamboozle you.

    You can't fill up an already overflowing glass, which is the problem with unhappy perceiver types.

    However, judging types are infact merely half full glasses.

    You need to fill up the other half with something worthwhile and people 'empathise' and 'humanise' the simple information they gain from their environment by bouncing a reflection of their internal self against it.

    What you are seeing is negative half full. Fill it up with achievement, not people.
    Interesting. I brought up mbti with him this weekend, and it turns out his grad program had him take the test recently. So now he's been researching INTJs and what careers they enjoy, and what they like in a job. He's going for med school on the researcher side so I think he will be in a place filled with more NTs than he may care to have.

    When I talk to him I will make sure to focus more on what he has achieved than some ephemeral future possibility of achievement.

    Question: why are INTJs so often pessimistic? I have my cynical side, but eventually I talk myself out of it when I see a butterfly or glitter or a cloud shapes like an alligator (I saw one the other night! It was eating a tree that was in its jaws.)

    P.s. Thanks for the response Jim!

  10. #450
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Question: why are INTJs so often pessimistic? I have my cynical side, but eventually I talk myself out of it when I see a butterfly or glitter or a cloud shapes like an alligator (I saw one the other night! It was eating a tree that was in its jaws.)
    We have to consider everything and (for me anyway) I need to look at worst case scenarios. Believe me I hear it all the time from my ENFJ. Why do you have to see the negative? Don't be a Debbie Downer. I tell him after awhile...if you want me running around sprinkling glitter on everyone and pissing unicorn wonderfullness you're just going to have to find a new best friend.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] What the hell is an INTJ?
    By Haphazard in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
  2. [INTJ] asking for a raise from an intj boss... tips appreciated!
    By lostlanguage in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM
  3. Ask an INTJ, get a terse answer
    By Haphazard in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
  4. Ask an INTJ... get the RIGHT answer
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
  5. [INTJ] Have you ever been stalked by an INTJ / INTJs have you ever stalked someone
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 04:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO