• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, I'll bite. Would two INTJs get along well in a long-term romantic relationship?
Yes, but unless we agree on everything we will split over some small disagreements.

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
Okay, I'll bite. Would two INTJs get along well in a long-term romantic relationship?
let me know if you'd like me to give this a shot as well, though I might have a less than common INTJesque optimism about it ; )

I have some questions for some INTJs! (mostly geared towards work environments : )

1. What kind of personality do you take at your work and how might you guess people perceive you?

2. Does this personality style and perception of you represent how you would ideally like to be in your work environment? (i.e. how would you like to be perceived and what might you like to do differently in the social group that you find yourself not being able to do as often?)

3. How would you handle yourself in a work environment that was strongly dominated by more Fs than Ts such as yourself?

lastly : )

4. What types of non-primary-human systems would you least like working on? And what about the system is/are the main discouraging factors when compared with stysems that you might enjoy alot more?

thanks!
logan :)

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can you be INTJ when you come across as so extraverted and exuberant?

Surely you must be ENTJ! In fact, I even get a little ENTP impression... How strong are each of your preferences?

I know, right? I thought he was a bot at first.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
INTJs are not optimists.
Enneagram Five INTJs are generally complainers. Enneagram One INTJs are generally meliorists, from which a certain sense of optimism can be derived.

That aside, Logan is by all appearances an irradiating ExFP.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
What about E9 INTJs?
Working billable hours while the Fives are sulking and the Ones are ablaze with indignation?

Seriously, though, I wonder if the husband of an IxFP friend isn't a Nine. He tests as an INTJ, yet lacks both the stuffiness of Fives and intensity of Ones.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Working billable hours while the Fives are sulking and the Ones are ablaze with indignation?

Seriously, though, I wonder if the husband of an IxFP friend isn't a Nine. He tests as an INTJ, yet lacks both the stuffiness of Fives and intensity of Ones.

Fives are stuffy? :shock: We certainly don't lack intensity....

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
No, no; just the INTJs. That's assuming the correlation isn't incidental...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So the undersexed are clingy.

Probably realize they don't have much of a hold on their partners.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
BW: Your point is interesting, but can you clarify further - put some meat on the bones, so to speak? What exactly is going to overload the T?

The INTJ's Ni will generate far more ideas than the Te could process.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. What kind of personality do you take at your work and how might you guess people perceive you?

At the jobs I had, everyone seems to think I'm an extrovert and they think I have strange ideas and a vivid imagination. They seem to think I'm egotistical, cynical, and arrogant, and also funny, smart, and witty.

More often than not, people think my behavior is inappropriate. I am aware that my behavior is inappropriate, but I just don't care. I like to shock others as a symbol that I do not wish to be a sheep.

More than once, people have told me that I'm the most unique person they ever met.

While I may seem extroverted in certain public places, I'd be by myself if I had a choice.

2. Does this personality style and perception of you represent how you would ideally like to be in your work environment? (i.e. how would you like to be perceived and what might you like to do differently in the social group that you find yourself not being able to do as often?)

3. Well, I want to come up with innovative ideas and defy social norms. I want to be perceived as a genuinely creative person.

lastly : )
4. What types of non-primary-human systems would you least like working on? And what about the system is/are the main discouraging factors when compared with stysems that you might enjoy alot more?

Why does everyone seem to think that INTJs and INTPs are programmers? I'm actually more artistically inclined, both in drawing and writing. (I guess a dominant Ni function creates this tendency.)

Zhash

How can you be INTJ when you come across as so extraverted and exuberant?

Surely you must be ENTJ! In fact, I even get a little ENTP impression... How strong are each of your preferences?

No, there are extraverted INTJs. I'm extaverted and exuberant, too, except for when I'm depressed.

Oh my God, do they ever!

Heaven... I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak.
And I seem to find the happiness I seek,
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
How do you stay motivated to perform during your studies/job?

At times it's easy, when I am interested. Other times it involves barganing with myself "Do this and you can do that". "Do this and it will be over soon". And other times I take Mental Health Days from work.

Do you usually know what your next step will be? i.e. are you usually confident in your next move?

96% of the time, yes. Often when I am not, it's because I've scheduled in unplanned time.

Do you mostly think in terms of sequencing?

Pretty much.

Are you careful about your hair and do your eyes look sleepy and distant?

Bleh, sometimes. I mean, my hair is clean, but it's not always 'nice'. I don't know that I look distant or sleepy, I think I've learned to fake that part - looking intune and like I'm paying attention. I can often feel my eyes wanting to glaze over though.

And while I'm always clean and smell nice I don't much care what I'm wearing. I'll go out in a black fleece jacket that's covered in cat hair, much to the dismay of my husband. I don't wear my jewelry, I barely remember where it is half the time. I have more important things on my mind than dressing myself a certain way.

And, I can't believe I missed this thread.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ

I am pretty sure I'm perceived as distant and quiet. Sometimes moody. I work in a tiny office (there are three of us), so we do interact more than I have when I worked in a larger office. I'm not sure what my boss is, but he and I see a lot of the same things when we deal with people and problems, and from what I've gathered when given a similar personality type test he's come out as a 'leader' or someone who's 'in charge and good a making decisions.' (He wont take the test, or rather, he wont tell me what he comes out as). My other coworker is an ESFJ, which I could have figured out had she not done the test. They're both French, and I'm an Anglo, so they tend to naturally socialilzed together a little more... which suits me just fine.

I know they both see me as "The Problem Solver".

I don't mind being The Problem Solver. But ideally, I'd like to work alone.

3. How would you handle yourself in a work environment that was strongly dominated by more Fs than Ts such as yourself?

Work from home? Have a breakdown? Find a new job? All real and strong possibilities - in that order, too!

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Here's one for the INTJs out there.

Do people you meet and interact with think you're an introvert, or are they surprized when they find out.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Here's one for the INTJs out there.

Do people you meet and interact with think you're an introvert, or are they surprized when they find out.

This is actually related to something I've been running over and over in my mind, making myself bonkers the last few days. I am an extreme introvert. Which is not, of course, to say that I'm shy; I'm not shy at all. I have no problem talking to strangers or even doing the old "cold call" if I see a woman I think is attractive out in public. When I entered college I had pretty much no social skills whatsoever, but after making pretty much every social flub in the book I learned the ins and outs of human interaction and I'm fairly confident in my social skills.

The problem is that I just can't maintain it very long at all. I posted a thread a while back soliciting small talk advice. The reason being, while I can handle a meet-and-greet or party chit-chat, in a work setting the small talk comes all day intermittently, and my ability to maintain the "small talk mode" gets taxed to the point where I have a headache by the end of every work day. People had good advice on ways to make due that have been a help, but recently I've just decided to hell with it, and don't try to pass myself off as anything other than the giant introvert that I am. (I can tell one of the women I work with thinks I'm a fat asshole now. It's a bit ironic since I can tell she's an introvert, too, albeit of the "S" variety.)

What I've been going nuts running over in my mind is this dilemma: I'm damn tired of maintaining that front. I've learned how to do it, I've proven to myself that I can, but I'm tired of all of the mental effort that goes into it, not to mention how all of that mental energy could be better spent on my thoughts and theories! The problem is that I am, however, an NTJ and I don't abide by a lack of cordiality and respect very well. When I reveal myself to be an introvert, many people seem to think that means they can blow me off or otherwise treat me like a chump. I'm trying to figure out how to strike a proper balance.

If people have recommendations or what have you, I'm officially soliciting advice.