Thread: Ask an INTJ

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Good question.

The 5w8 is typically understood to be an impossible conclusion - the traditional Enneagram formula would have the individual discard the 8 in favor of his tertiary variable (for me, it would transform into a 5w6...).

Conversely, some believe that 8 is a natural extension of the 6; from "Defender" into "Leader", perhaps. The mechanics of this transition are fairly academic (and mostly outside the letter of the initial equation).

Therefore, the choice is one of personal fragrance - I find that 8 is closer to my approximate behavioral routine than 6. As such, it makes less sense to cater to historical routine, if said routine is less descriptive than is useful for me.
    Interesting.

I've been thinking about INTJs and enneagram types recently. Most INTJs fall as 5s with 4 or 6 wings, however, there are quite a few that type as 8s. I'm trying to find some more information on this. Care to offer some thoughts?

I've noticed that the Enn. 8w7 archetype is much more accurate in relation to myself than is the traditional INTJ definition.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I've also encountered xNTJs with an 8w7 description. ENTJs are often the closest to this general sum. I remember you briefly typed yourself as an ENTP - is it possible you might be closer to an ENTJ?
    (sidenote - I think the negative spin directed towards ENTJs is (mostly) without credible merit and - more often than not - plays to the insecurities of the aggressor moreso than the actualities of the ENTJ...).

htb is a good example of a well-balanced ENTJ.

This is the thread that cemented my belief in the 5w8 as my de facto Enneagram registration. Magic Poriferan has a sophisticated understanding of the Enneagram and was a great resource.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Dear INTJ's,

Are male INTJ's friendlier (and easier to get along with) than female INTJ's?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I don't know.

I've never met any female INTJs.

My best friend is an INTJ; he's great. Limey is an INTJ, too. I love Limey.

MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I've also encountered xNTJs with an 8w7 description. ENTJs are often the closest to this general sum. I remember you briefly typed yourself as an ENTP - is it possible you might be closer to an ENTJ?
    (sidenote - I think the negative spin directed towards ENTJs is (mostly) without credible merit and - more often than not - plays to the insecurities of the aggressor moreso than the actualities of the ENTJ...).

htb is a good example of a well-balanced ENTJ.

This is the thread that cemented my belief in the 5w8 as my de facto Enneagram registration. Magic Poriferan has a sophisticated understanding of the Enneagram and was a great resource.
    Well, I've considered it, but I don't really feel that "need to lead" that is so often described by every ENTJ profile, ever. There have been a few credible people before you that have suggested the possibility. Recently I had been living in a very unhealthy "loop". I hadn't any knowledge of the Enneagram at that time, but reading it now, describes my actions almost perfectly.

I actually just skimmed that thread and found some really pertinent information. That's what inspired me to inquire into your self classification. I took a couple tests. I scored almost dead even between 5 and 8, but my higher score as a 7 than either a 4 or a 6 made me an 8w7.

From what I gather, 5s and 8s are motivated by similar factors, a strong will for independence. I would like to find more information into the different types of INTJs. There are very clearly different "brands" of INTJs. I can tell, but I can't really put my finger on why.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    Well, I've considered it, but I don't really feel that "need to lead" that is so often described by every ENTJ profile, ever. There have been a few credible people before you that have suggested the possibility. Recently I had been living in a very unhealthy "loop". I hadn't any knowledge of the Enneagram at that time, but reading it now, describes my actions almost perfectly.

From what I gather, 5s and 8s are motivated by similar factors, a strong will for independence. I would like to find more information into the different types of INTJs. There are very clearly different "brands" of INTJs. I can tell, but I can't really put my finger on why.
    I can identify with not wanting to lead.

I dislike the idea of people following me; feels like they've taken an easier route to (artificial) self-examination. It isn't even like I've any greater handle on reality anyway - nor would I expect anyone to presume that their personal conception offers any level of heightened legitimacy beyond what works for them.

I'm not sure what crafts variations in the INTJ manifold. Some of us are pithy and self-righteous. Others are educated and humble. Like all types, the global description probably offers only a sliver of truth into the realities that connect us to other, fundamentally, like-minded peoples.

Is there anything specific that you've (or others) noticed, in terms of oddly-shaped INTJs?

MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm not sure what crafts variations in the INTJ manifold. Some of us are pithy and self-righteous. Others are educated and humble. Like all types, the global description probably offers only a sliver of truth into the realities that connect us to other, fundamentally, like-minded peoples.

Is there anything specific that you've (or others) noticed, in terms of oddly-shaped INTJs?
    Until very recently, I haven't really been putting a lot of time into thinking about it. I've noticed that there are INTJs that I can relate to and identify with, and then there are those who might as well be completely a foreign type. I think a lot of the differences are probably a result of different levels of Fi use. I've always wondered why fellow INTJs seldom enjoy each others' company.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    1) Because we think we are. We're right until proven otherwise. This 'convincing' is really us trying to get you to prove us wrong, to test our thoughts against the outside world.
    Yeah, I pretty much get that, but usually I'll be the one who says it's okay for us to have different views on the subject, but INTJ is like "no, those other views are misinformed" like he just can't possibly accept that there could be different conclusions based on the same stuff.

2) We're not looking at you like you're a moron, we're looking at you like you're delicious. I guess it's easy to confuse the two.
    Ah, okay, well, that makes sense.

I think actually the look I get most often from INTJ's is more of a dumbfounded smile. There's one at work that likes to go on anti-Bush diatribes, and I'll sometimes interject something like "yeah, but you're overlooking President Bush's rockin' fun coolie-ness." And he'll give me that look like "I've just been hit with a grenade filled with confetti and all I can do is sit here and bask in the colorful pieces."
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much get that, but usually I'll be the one who says it's okay for us to have different views on the subject, but INTJ is like "no, those other views are misinformed" like he just can't possibly accept that there could be different conclusions based on the same stuff.

Ah, okay, well, that makes sense.

I think actually the look I get most often from INTJ's is more of a dumbfounded smile. There's one at work that likes to go on anti-Bush diatribes, and I'll sometimes interject something like "yeah, but you're overlooking President Bush's rockin' fun coolie-ness." And he'll give me that look like "I've just been hit with a grenade filled with confetti and all I can do is sit here and bask in the colorful pieces."
    This could be a thread unto itself. Suffice to say I can relate to your experiences.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Then to that INTJ your view is illogical...
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein