User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1

    Default INTPs and gadgets?

    As an INTP, I tend to disregard things that are right in my face. Because of this, others (and not me) have noticed that I have a thing for aesthetic and highly technical gadgets. My guess is that P plays a role in appreciating beautiful architecture, and NT is attracted to the science of it. Or maybe it's just me. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,431

    Default

    My INTP dad is way into gadgetry. I think it's the Ne, mostly; he likes finding new things that creatively solve problems or inefficiencies. And then, of course, as soon as his curiosity ceases to be piqued, or he finds something better suited to his needs, he'll drop that gadget like it's hot!

    Now that he has an iPhone, he does the same thing with apps. I say more power to him, because if you're gonna pick up something that you're just gonna get bored with later, it might as well be something inexpensive...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Minor really into gadgets/technology. I think it's because I'm usually too impatient to figure out all the steps (which don't even seem real to me) and because usually I'm too disorganized to keep up with back up software and updates and all that stuff.

    Paper never has to charge and I never have to reconfigure my pencil.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I'm far more into figuring how gadgets work, than actually using them, except for the things that I do all the time, and then I'm usually trying to push them to the limit.

  5. #5
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    to generalize it to NTPs (i doubt that i could be considered introverted): i absolutely love the process of exploring new gadgets, while in the same time i get lost in my imagination about how much more awesome they could be, from which point of view the gadget before me becomes a sack full of unrealized potential, and the process of exploration becomes a game in which reality is competing with my thought process to see how much of the potential can be realized. by the time the excitement runs over though, many of those will be filtered out before any of them become habits.

    i personally attribute it to the broad interactions of Ne-Ge-Ek-Ti interaction

  6. #6
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alloutofwords View Post
    As an INTP, I tend to disregard things that are right in my face. Because of this, others (and not me) have noticed that I have a thing for aesthetic and highly technical gadgets. My guess is that P plays a role in appreciating beautiful architecture, and NT is attracted to the science of it. Or maybe it's just me. Thoughts?
    Non sequitur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #7
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    to generalize it to NTPs (i doubt that i could be considered introverted): i absolutely love the process of exploring new gadgets, while in the same time i get lost in my imagination about how much more awesome they could be, from which point of view the gadget before me becomes a sack full of unrealized potential,
    I am constantly frustrated by how far technology drags its feet behind imagined possibilities.
    I always want tech to be better than it is and get tired of waiting for it to catch up.
    Of course, the limitations are usually commercial, rather than purely technical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #8
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I am constantly frustrated by how far technology drags its feet behind imagined possibilities.
    I always want tech to be better than it is and get tired of waiting for it to catch up.
    Of course, the limitations are usually commercial, rather than purely technical.
    yes - though sometimes it's understandable, like intellectual property and patents that the company might not have being able to license (the console wars are a testimony for that), limiting regulations (global data-packs on radio have being feasible for decades) and overly cautious legislation (wireless electricity), infrastructure limitations (the lack of GPU's in cloud computing), or simply pricing (almost any feature you ever wanted in a 3D printer)... other times its just infuriating business decisions, like Apple's unwillingness to enable Java because of their competition with Oracle for developer tools and support.

    once in awhile though, it's just the nobody-who-might-have-thought-of-it-did-it factor, and then it's time to call on a kickstarter

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTP and Escapism
    By The Unknown Essence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. [INTP] The INTP and Feelings
    By reason in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
  3. [INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts
    By intpgirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  4. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. [INTP] INTPs and life
    By JonJT in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO