• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and gadgets?

alloutofwords

As an INTP, I tend to disregard things that are right in my face. Because of this, others (and not me) have noticed that I have a thing for aesthetic and highly technical gadgets. My guess is that P plays a role in appreciating beautiful architecture, and NT is attracted to the science of it. Or maybe it's just me. Thoughts?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My INTP dad is way into gadgetry. I think it's the Ne, mostly; he likes finding new things that creatively solve problems or inefficiencies. And then, of course, as soon as his curiosity ceases to be piqued, or he finds something better suited to his needs, he'll drop that gadget like it's hot! :yes:

Now that he has an iPhone, he does the same thing with apps. I say more power to him, because if you're gonna pick up something that you're just gonna get bored with later, it might as well be something inexpensive...

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Minor really into gadgets/technology. I think it's because I'm usually too impatient to figure out all the steps (which don't even seem real to me) and because usually I'm too disorganized to keep up with back up software and updates and all that stuff.

Paper never has to charge and I never have to reconfigure my pencil.

scorpiomover

I'm far more into figuring how gadgets work, than actually using them, except for the things that I do all the time, and then I'm usually trying to push them to the limit.

S

Society

to generalize it to NTPs (i doubt that i could be considered introverted): i absolutely love the process of exploring new gadgets, while in the same time i get lost in my imagination about how much more awesome they could be, from which point of view the gadget before me becomes a sack full of unrealized potential, and the process of exploration becomes a game in which reality is competing with my thought process to see how much of the potential can be realized. by the time the excitement runs over though, many of those will be filtered out before any of them become habits.

i personally attribute it to the broad interactions of Ne-Ge-Ek-Ti interaction :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an INTP, I tend to disregard things that are right in my face. Because of this, others (and not me) have noticed that I have a thing for aesthetic and highly technical gadgets. My guess is that P plays a role in appreciating beautiful architecture, and NT is attracted to the science of it. Or maybe it's just me. Thoughts?

Non sequitur.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
to generalize it to NTPs (i doubt that i could be considered introverted): i absolutely love the process of exploring new gadgets, while in the same time i get lost in my imagination about how much more awesome they could be, from which point of view the gadget before me becomes a sack full of unrealized potential,
I am constantly frustrated by how far technology drags its feet behind imagined possibilities.
I always want tech to be better than it is and get tired of waiting for it to catch up.
Of course, the limitations are usually commercial, rather than purely technical.

S

Society

I am constantly frustrated by how far technology drags its feet behind imagined possibilities.
I always want tech to be better than it is and get tired of waiting for it to catch up.
Of course, the limitations are usually commercial, rather than purely technical.

yes - though sometimes it's understandable, like intellectual property and patents that the company might not have being able to license (the console wars are a testimony for that), limiting regulations (global data-packs on radio have being feasible for decades) and overly cautious legislation (wireless electricity), infrastructure limitations (the lack of GPU's in cloud computing), or simply pricing (almost any feature you ever wanted in a 3D printer)... other times its just infuriating business decisions, like Apple's unwillingness to enable Java because of their competition with Oracle for developer tools and support.

once in awhile though, it's just the nobody-who-might-have-thought-of-it-did-it factor, and then it's time to call on a kickstarter :D