First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Another tip: just take the feedback you got and adjust. It seems like they're telling you that you're too threatening. Unless you're interviewing to be the CEO, that's seen as a liability. Scale it back by changing up your rhetoric. Instead of saying you're competitive, say you're dedicated and passionate about completing projects. Also, smile more and crack some jokes. Your posture might be a little rigid too. Chill that out.
    Those are good suggestions.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISTP

Okay let me get this straight... sr. management position at an "education institute" and you're talking about destroying other departments?

No wonder they didn't hire you. These types of places are highly ingrained in their ways and have a long legacy, and it's this way because education of anyone is a highly sensitive employee environment... lots of regulation and they need someone who can stay in the lines and not ruffle a bunch of feathers. In other words, your approach was not good.

The problem is not with your interview, it's you... you must learn to adapt. If not, then you need to find an environment that you're already adapted for, maybe a tech startup or something.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

From what I've seen, education needs more people like Valis. There is too much political correctness and tiptoeing around feelings at the expense of reaching goals.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post
    These types of places are highly ingrained in their ways and have a long legacy, and it's this way because education of anyone is a highly sensitive employee environment... lots of regulation and they need someone who can stay in the lines and not ruffle a bunch of feathers. In other words, your approach was not good.
    This. Especially the bolded. @Valis, when you're dealing with an environment with a lot of entrenched interest projecting excessive "initative" can be a liability.

A lot of previous posts have mentioned the importance of flexibility. To be more specific, I think the important thing is that demonstrating competence doesn't have to come at the expense of the institution for whom your hoping to work. In an interview, the note you should be hoping to strike is how can you add value to existing structures. That creates a vision that people can understand and buy into. Selling them on that idea is what's going to get you the job.

Now, once you've been there a few months and made good on that, then you'll have amassed the goodwill that if you wanna bust out the business about hostile takeovers of other departments, you can. But at the outset, you've got to give the impression that you understand, appreciate, and will execute existing priorities before you start interjecting your own. This is what people are usually getting at when they go on about all that "team player" bullshit.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    when you're dealing with an environment with a lot of entrenched interest projecting excessive "initative" can be a liability.

the note you should be hoping to strike is how can you add value to existing structures.

you've got to give the impression that you understand, appreciate, and will execute existing priorities before you start interjecting your own.
    Well said and good advice for anyone trying to get a job in the government sphere. A lot of times the people who hold sway in the hiring decision will be those who were themselves partly responsible for the current way of doing things and it's easy to step on their toes if you come off as a cowboy.

Be Jim from the office... adaptable to anything with good interpersonal understanding, not Dwight... overly-competitive and unaware of social atmosphere. You want people to use their imagination to fill in the blanks of what they don't know about you with possibilities and reasons they can see you working well there, not using their critical thinking trying to solve the problem of a puzzle piece that doesn't fit. Unless they're desperate, then you're going to leave them with the impression that you're going to be just that if they hire you--a problem--and in these environments people are much harder to get rid of once they're hired so it'll have them thinking twice. Less can be more.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post
    Okay let me get this straight... sr. management position at an "education institute" and you're talking about destroying other departments?

No wonder they didn't hire you. These types of places are highly ingrained in their ways and have a long legacy, and it's this way because education of anyone is a highly sensitive employee environment... lots of regulation and they need someone who can stay in the lines and not ruffle a bunch of feathers. In other words, your approach was not good.

The problem is not with your interview, it's you... you must learn to adapt. If not, then you need to find an environment that you're already adapted for, maybe a tech startup or something.
    The problem Really wasn't with what I did but how I portrayed myself during the interview. I wont go into details but i tried a collaborative approach but when that was rejected i had to compete. I think the public sector needs more business oriented folk that just want to get the job done. They will have to face up to reality sooner or later, certainly here in the uk where there is a government with policies on defecit cutting and use of the private sector.