User Tag List

123 Last

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default How often do you (as an NT) dream?

How often do you other rationals dream? Dreams, or nightmares? I am wondering since I think I don't dream a lot (like 2 times a month) and was wondering if other NTs have similar frequencies or different ones? Just seeing if there is a certain pattern.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    How often do you other rationals dream? Dreams, or nightmares? I am wondering since I think I don't dream a lot (like 2 times a month) and was wondering if other NTs have similar frequencies or different ones? Just seeing if there is a certain pattern.
    I'd bet money that it has nothing to do with your NTness and everything to do with your sleep cycle relative to when you wake up (meaning you do dream but are waking up in the light stages of sleep, not REM, so you don't remember dreaming). Set one alarm for a half hour before you actually need to get up, and set a 2nd alarm for when you actually need to get up. Do this for a week and see if you still aren't dreaming.
    I'm quite certain that during that half hour, having disrupted your cycle, you'll remember dreaming. This is what I discovered after sleep research online (I used to "never" dream but really it was the part of the cycle I was waking).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'd say I dream about 10 times in a month. Usually I dream more if I eat too close to bedtime.

I haven't had anything resembling a nightmare since the age of 10, and even that wasn't particularly scary, just confusing (I dreamt that I rode my bike home, but couldn't find my home...I was a military kid, though, so it was only natural to dream about losing my home lol).

My dreams nowadays usually come in complicated story form, and I'm usually not in them. I don't know what to make of that.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It has little to do with being an NT and more with being stressed for me.

When stressed, I dream much more often. And I also wake up in the middle of the night, and try to go back to sleep and then wake up still earlier than usual. First dream is usually a nightmare, second dream might be better, but not necessarily. As Usehername said, has something to do with not finishing the sleep cycle -- though, I guess the sleep cycle is disturbed by stress.

I wonder if Ns have different sorts of dreams than Ss, though. Whenever my mother (ISFJ) talks about her dreams, they always have the same, relatively mundane themes. I've never repeated a dream ever and they're all very outlandish compared to what she dreams.

Some people claim that Ni is Nightmare fuel. I don't know if that's true, but if I'm any indication, then it may very well be.

Earlier this week I had a very strange experience in a dream. I had two bags. I put a laptop in one bag, and then opened up the other bag, and there was the laptop. I thought, 'that doesn't make any sense,' and all of the sudden there was a laptop in each bag. Now, if only that worked in real life... *sigh*
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I'm certain that I dream every night, as almost everyone does. But remembering dreams is a different matter. I tend to remember dreams several nights in a row and then maybe not at all for a month. My dreams also frequently share the same subject matter several nights in a row, whether it be a nightmare, a sex dream, or some weird Fellini shit.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

It's rare that I don't dream.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm certain that I dream every night, as almost everyone does. But remembering dreams is a different matter. I tend to remember dreams several nights in a row and then maybe not at all for a month. My dreams also frequently share the same subject matter several nights in a row, whether it be a nightmare, a sex dream, or some weird Fellini shit.
    Yeah, I'll have the same subject sorta thing too. Although it's really weird because there is 2-3 weeks between two given dreams and they often are the same story, part one and part two. Freaky. Other times though I will have one dream, and then have the same exact one maybe a month later.

I never thought that it might be because of my sleep cycle... although that seems to be the obvious answer now (I feel dumb heh). I usually sleep from about 2 AM to about noon so-so (it's summer!). However, I do wake up often, probably 3-4 times a night.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTJ

The weird part about my dreams is rather the dreams I don't have..
    But I dream once or twice every two weeks. It's kind of lame, but eh.
    What a waste of life..

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

All the time. I have terrible sleeping habits though, so that's part of it. As for what they're about... Hard to describe. The locations vary, but I never know them, and the people are sometimes picked at random from my life, which is all very mundane, but the experiences within them can be quite fantastical. There seems to be a lot of insanity in them, at least. Crazy people and the like. Odd.

I wonder as well about a possible correlation between N/S types and dream content. I mean, I've never had the "naked in public" dream, but I have had the odd dream where I'm being hunted by a humanoid Tazmanian devil or am in places similar to that of some of the settings in American McGee's Alice. Then again I am weird, even for a Ni-dominant type.

MBTI
    INTP

I dream every night, and I love it, b/c it's kind of like a free movie in your head. I'm always amazed at the complicated situations my brain can come up with when it's allowed to just do its thing. I've written complete songs in my dreams, for instance. I love that.

I've noticed that if I have to wake up in the middle of a dream, I'll be tired for hours after I get up.