• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP vs ENTP

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP

Video comparing and contrasting ENTPs and INTPs.

Feedback welcome! ;)

pmj85

I saw this yesterday on the YouTubes (I'm subscribed to you). Good video - cheers!

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
INTP live in their heads and are too afraid to excercise their ideas. They prefer to keep the ideas in their brain and indulge in abstract thought because they fear uncertainy. Thats why they make good professors and intellectual eggheads in academia.

ENTP experiment with ideas and would gladly suffer the consequences. they want turn idea into action and become something tangible in reality. Sometimes the consequence could be as devastating as losing their entire fortune or taking part in a sucidal venture. But ENTP don't care because they can live with the failure. They rather do it than entertain the idea in their head. ENTP are also less cautious and can seem reckless at times. They don't overanalyze like the INTP and are less intelligent than their introverted brothers. ENTP experiments tend to be out of control and scary for more cautious types (like ISTJ).

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ENTP win in most situations.

And I just win anyway, because im a special entp.

Stumblebum

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7x8
Instinctual Variant
sp
I really like your exposition on introversion versus extroversion. Personally, I've struggled with whether or not I'm an INTP because I develop anxiety when I feel overwhelmed with stimuli at parties, ceremonies, et al. As far as I can ascertain, INTPs and ENTPs are socially indistinguishable in situations where they feel comfortable. Well, the ENTP is probably a tad more obnoxious. ;)

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was watching the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie a few days ago. I'm certain Jack Sparrow - my bad, Captain Jack Sparrow - is an ENTP and Barbossa is INTP. Now, there was a scene where they were going into a Spanish camp to steal some cups. Barbossa asks Sparrow "What's the plan?" and Sparrow doesn't know what Barbossa is talking about. Barbossa is stupefied and asks something like "Isn't that what you usually do? make a plan?" Sparrow says that they'll improvise, and Barbossa doesn't look too trustful of Sparrow's "plan".

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
DJ, you look like a guy I know.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
less intelligent than their introverted brothers

I don't know about that. ENTPs certainly have a different type of intelligence from INTPs, but I wouldn't say they're less intelligent. They seem much more innovative than the typical INTP, for one thing. They aren't usually as skilled with logic, etc, but they are a constant source of new ideas and are really, very bright in their own way.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It seems to me that the best distinction between ENTP and INTP as dealing with the 'E' and 'I' components is in the attitude toward interpersonal relationships. ENTP's appear to value relationships more highly and have a desire to seek out new people. INTP's value only the closest and most edifying relationships (family can even be excluded from this) and have extremely limited, if any desire to meet new people, preferring instead to allow those who wish to know the INTP to introduce themselves.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It seems to me that the best distinction between ENTP and INTP as dealing with the 'E' and 'I' components is in the attitude toward interpersonal relationships. ENTP's appear to value relationships more highly and have a desire to seek out new people. INTP's value only the closest and most edifying relationships (family can even be excluded from this) and have extremely limited, if any desire to meet new people, preferring instead to allow those who wish to know the INTP to introduce themselves.

i think while ENTPs value having many friends and a bit of variety when it comes to friends(im assuming you mean friends with interpersonal relationships), INTPs focus on very few who they value more than ENTPs generally do. but i think if ENTP would have like one or two friends, he would probably value them as much as INTP does

scorpiomover

INTP live in their heads and are too afraid to excercise their ideas. They prefer to keep the ideas in their brain and indulge in abstract thought because they fear uncertainy. Thats why they make good professors and intellectual eggheads in academia.

ENTP experiment with ideas and would gladly suffer the consequences. they want turn idea into action and become something tangible in reality. Sometimes the consequence could be as devastating as losing their entire fortune or taking part in a sucidal venture. But ENTP don't care because they can live with the failure. They rather do it than entertain the idea in their head. ENTP are also less cautious and can seem reckless at times. They don't overanalyze like the INTP and are less intelligent than their introverted brothers. ENTP experiments tend to be out of control and scary for more cautious types (like ISTJ).
Actually, I was just re-reading Jung's section on Introverted Thinking. There, Jung explained how Introverted Thinkers think subjectively. Take the example of thinking to understand lightning. The subject is to understand lightning. The objective goal is to harness the power of electricity. Introverted Thinkers begin with the subject, and end with the subject, that is, that wondering what lightning is, is what sparks them to try to understand electricity, and their goal remains the subjective goal of understanding lightning. The objective goal of harnessing electricity, is just a bonus for them.

For an ENTP, the objective goal is their goal. So an ENTP wants to understand lightning, in order to harness the power of electricity.

A few clear differences, are that if you have an INTP and ENTP, then when they are both studying something, such as lightning, and they happen upon a powerful use for lightning before completely understanding it, the ENTP will pursue that, while the INTP will continue to study lightning, and if they happen to completely understand lightning without coming across any uses for it, then the INTP will move on, while the ENTP will continue to look for uses for his knowledge.

scorpiomover

I was watching the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie a few days ago. I'm certain Jack Sparrow - my bad, Captain Jack Sparrow - is an ENTP and Barbossa is INTP. Now, there was a scene where they were going into a Spanish camp to steal some cups. Barbossa asks Sparrow "What's the plan?" and Sparrow doesn't know what Barbossa is talking about. Barbossa is stupefied and asks something like "Isn't that what you usually do? make a plan?" Sparrow says that they'll improvise, and Barbossa doesn't look too trustful of Sparrow's "plan".
More likely ENTJ. Still a T-dom, just a Te-dom, interested more in objective results, than theories.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
A few clear differences, are that if you have an INTP and ENTP, then when they are both studying something, such as lightning, and they happen upon a powerful use for lightning before completely understanding it, the ENTP will pursue that, while the INTP will continue to study lightning, and if they happen to completely understand lightning without coming across any uses for it, then the INTP will move on, while the ENTP will continue to look for uses for his knowledge.

I'm curious about how this trait might carry over to other activities besides the strictly academic, such as sports, dating or any other hobby.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, I was just re-reading Jung's section on Introverted Thinking. There, Jung explained how Introverted Thinkers think subjectively. Take the example of thinking to understand lightning. The subject is to understand lightning. The objective goal is to harness the power of electricity. Introverted Thinkers begin with the subject, and end with the subject, that is, that wondering what lightning is, is what sparks them to try to understand electricity, and their goal remains the subjective goal of understanding lightning. The objective goal of harnessing electricity, is just a bonus for them.

For an ENTP, the objective goal is their goal. So an ENTP wants to understand lightning, in order to harness the power of electricity.

ENTP most likely has some idea(or image in jungs terms) that he needs to know lightning more in depth to back it up for others or to put it in use and that idea might not have anything to do with harnessing electricity, but can be just to prove his idea right with logic. EXTJ would be more like "i need electricity for this and that, i think ill go and try to catch a lightning" and starts to study how its done, this is the objective side of T. Ne and Ti work together by creating ideas that follow the line of reason in order to create theories. ENTP has more ideas forming, and usually only after the idea is formed they go try to validate it with Ti logic. INTPs also get similar ideas to ENTPs, but there has to be some logic first most of the time. the key difference really is that ENTP has more trust in their ideas, even if there isnt any apparent logic behind them at first, while INTPs need to see the logic or the idea wont go any further, but INTPs are usually and better in seeing the possible logic behind the idea.

what you said about ENTPs starting from objective is correct, but it doesent start form objective thinking, it starts from extraverted intuition, some image, leading to idea that was triggered by something in the external world.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm curious about how this trait might carry over to other activities besides the strictly academic, such as sports, dating or any other hobby.

ENTPs tend to follow their ideas blindly trying to make sense of them on the go, while INTPs tend to stop and think before doing anything about the ideas or even considering the idea to be worth while and not some weird ass shit that popped out of nowhere

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More likely ENTJ. Still a T-dom, just a Te-dom, interested more in objective results, than theories.

Hm...could be. I've noticed similarities between both types to him, but he seems more INTP to me at least.

scorpiomover

ENTP most likely has some idea(or image in jungs terms) that he needs to know lightning more in depth to back it up for others or to put it in use and that idea might not have anything to do with harnessing electricity, but can be just to prove his idea right with logic. EXTJ would be more like "i need electricity for this and that, i think ill go and try to catch a lightning" and starts to study how its done, this is the objective side of T. Ne and Ti work together by creating ideas that follow the line of reason in order to create theories. ENTP has more ideas forming, and usually only after the idea is formed they go try to validate it with Ti logic. INTPs also get similar ideas to ENTPs, but there has to be some logic first most of the time. the key difference really is that ENTP has more trust in their ideas, even if there isnt any apparent logic behind them at first, while INTPs need to see the logic or the idea wont go any further, but INTPs are usually and better in seeing the possible logic behind the idea.

what you said about ENTPs starting from objective is correct, but it doesent start form objective thinking, it starts from extraverted intuition, some image, leading to idea that was triggered by something in the external world.
I agree that ENTPs don't start or end with objective thinking. As you rightly pointed out, a Te-dom, an ExTJ would be more like "i need electricity for this and that, i think ill go and try to catch a lightning" and starts to study how its done. An ENTP would be more likely to say "Wow! Look at that lightning bolt! It destroyed that huge tree! Think of the power in that. Imagine what would happen, if we could harness the power of electricity! We'd have free power for everyone!" Then he'd proceed to try to catch some lightning, and at the same time, learn from his experiences, probably by tying a piece of metal like a key to a kite, and then flying it in a lightning storm.

That's why I said "harnessing the power of electricity". It's an idea, whose focus is on how it might help the extroverted world.