• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Concentration

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Jennifer suggested that this might be a good thread to start....:blush:

So, the question is simple. How are you concentration abilities, and how can you engage them? Examples are helpful.

E.g., several years ago, I was playing hide-and-seek with some cousins (in the dark, of course), and decided to hide in the closet. Hiding properly in the closet required being practically motionless, and breathing quietly. Thus, I found myself sitting there...I'm trying to remember what quote I was concentrating on. Perhaps that technomage creed from Babylon 5-solidarity, secrecy, mystery, magic, science, knowledge, good (useful). They gave up on trying to find me, because I wasn't moving-even when they were poking me.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Jennifer suggested that this might be a good thread to start....:blush:

So, the question is simple. How are you concentration abilities, and how can you engage them? Examples are helpful.

E.g., several years ago, I was playing hide-and-seek with some cousins (in the dark, of course), and decided to hide in the closet. Hiding properly in the closet required being practically motionless, and breathing quietly. Thus, I found myself sitting there...I'm trying to remember what quote I was concentrating on. Perhaps that technomage creed from Babylon 5-solidarity, secrecy, mystery, magic, science, knowledge, good (useful). They gave up on trying to find me, because I wasn't moving-even when they were poking me.

I can focus very intensely for long periods of time when I am absorbed in the subject, its almost like I become one with it. But again, only if I am truly enjoying what I am doing. Very typical of a Ti, as Keirsey argues that INTPs can focus more intensely than any other type. INTJs however, focus less intensely, yet they are more steady about it and can easily keep on task, unlike INTPs, that they do not enjoy.

terrencemcb

MBTI Type
Intp
sometimes when i need to steady myself or remain relaxed, i'll find a spot or a fleck on the wall or a countertop, and fix my eyes on it. I think to myself, there's peace in that spot. And, as i think that, I imagine I'm very small, flying towards that spot.

useful for when I'm taking a shit, and I don't want my sphincter to snip it off in the middle.

Last edited:

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
Good topic : )

I think there are lots of differents kinds of concentration though, for example concentrating on one thought and deducing ideas in a more linear fashion is a lot easier than purposely deducing ideas while consciously opening up new topics as you are doing so, slowly adding them into the fold and taking them as inspiration towards deducing the original train of thought. An example of why the latter might be more difficult is that it is simply easier to become lost in the other ideas as they flood in, so one has to have a great deal of concentration, otherwise too many ideas could come in at once and one couldn't wade through them while staying focuses and also might run the risk of them digressing and deducing onto a separate matter. So, I think there are lots of different ways to concentrate and to that effect, that there are--therefore--many type of concentration in which to master not just 'concentration' ohh, as some vague term that applies to every situation. Regardless : )

In my eyes, I don't think one can ever reach a maximum level of concentration. The only way that could possibly happen is if the train of thought was so precise and able to encompass so many things at once that brilliant ideas would appear one after another after another. Lastly, we would be forgetting that alot of times concentration is broken not because one cannot think for long periods of times, but a thought may cross the mind that if one pursues or considers may put that person at risk of violating some moral code or idea that is also in place by thinking as such. Thus, the only way to aviod this would to be to have no moral code, or similar thought that effected the mind in such a manner, as to be able to continuously think deeper and deeper without breaking the train of thought. But other ideas arise, again, such as, can one really be considering to concetrate if one has the conscious effort to stop? Doesn't this mean that the idea of stopping is in the mind, thus actually preventing concentration in some other regard from fully happening? (remember there are multiple kinds of concentration). Even more, back to the previous idea of moral interference etc., if one had no interference then would this mean that no ideas were in conflict and if that is the case, would that already mean that one has already figured everything out in order to be in a state of no conflicting ideas? (i.e. there is nothing left to figure out thus no need to concentrate anymore)

But, I try to make an effort to concentrate pretty well with different kinds of thinking, and also sometimes force myself to do so under rough conditions to help me better when I am not under such pressure, also is one never under any pressure from some source in life at any moment? hmm, anyways : ) Who knows how good I am on some scale, but I would gander to say I am better than most when I take what I have gathered and finally apply it, but I'd say more of my time is done experimenting while trying to concentrate at the same time--it should be something to consider, about how much can one experiment with while focusing on concetration building and still have growth in both areas occur? Is there a efficiency curve of best ratio with these two functions? Lots more ideas, but perhaps that's enough for now ^_^