User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: Nihilism

Why has homo sapiens become so successful? Or we might ask, what niche does homo sapiens fill? What does homo sapiens have other animals don't?

Well, it's obvious homo sapiens is inter-subjective. In other words I can know what you are thinking and you can know what I am thinking - setting up an inter-subjective loop.

And an inter-subjective loop is simply meaning. So we are a meaning creating animal. In fact we are a large, a very large, meaning creating animal, about 7 billion of us. So taken as a whole, homo sapiens is the largest animal on the planet.

Normally of course we think of the Blue Whale as the largest animal that has every lived and is alive today, but the enormous Blue Whale is a minnow compared to homo sapiens.

And being such a large animal we are connecting our various parts, such as the inner and outer of our psyche; and we are connecting ourselves across time and space 24/7 across the entire planet, just as we do on Central.

WhoCares

I had a close encounter with nihilism in practice the other day. It made me more depressed and misanthropic than ever. I literally despaired of the cockroaches on the planet known as humans. It was a simple display of meaningless destruction.

I had placed some rubbish on the curb to be collected by my council and within hours my carefully boxed and neat arrangement on the verge looked like it had been attacked by a herd of elephants. Person's unknown had tossed this rubbish in all directions. Scattering it onto a driveway, breaking the breakables and pulling plugs off the ends of electrical cords and tossing them about the street. There was no reason for such a thing, everything in my pile was clearly junk of zero value so no-one was picking over the goods in the hope of finding treasure. The more I looked at the mess the more I realised there was no thought behind this, someone had literally just gone to town in a mindless rage then walked on. Knowing such an individual exists in close proximity to me made me pray for death to come soon. Better that than meet this person in the flesh.

Nihilism is knowing random shit happens and there really is no reason behind it. It's scary as all get-out.

Nihilism, Racism, Quantum Mechanics and Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Nihilism is knowing random shit happens and there really is no reason behind it. It's scary as all get-out.
    Nihilism is a Nineteen Century philosophy invalidated by Quantum Mechanics in the Twentieth Century.

So although Quantum Mechanics shows that the level of the quanta, that is at the atomic level, that things happen randomly and there is no reason behind it and it is scary as all get out.

Quantum Mechanics also tells us that at the macroscopic level, the level we live on, that things are exquisitely predictable with statistics.

And interestingly Quantum Mechanics exactly mirrors genetics. For Twentieth Century genetics completely invalidates the Nineteenth Century theory of racism.

So it would seem that although we live in the Twenty First Century, our minds are in the Nineteenth Century, at least as far as nihilism and race go.

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Nihilism is a Nineteen Century philosophy invalidated by Quantum Mechanics in the Twentieth Century.

So although Quantum Mechanics shows that the level of the quanta, that is at the atomic level, that things happen randomly and there is no reason behind it and it is scary as all get out.

Quantum Mechanics also tells us that at the macroscopic level, the level we live on, that things are equisitely predictable with statistics.

And interestingly Quantum Mechanics exactly mirrors genetics. For Twentieth Century genetics completely invalidates the Nineteenth Century theory of racism.

So it would seem that although we live in the Twenty First Century, our minds are in the Nineteenth Century, at least as far as nihilism and race go.
    Lol holy hell

Quote Originally Posted by A_priori View Post
    Lol holy hell
    Yes, A-priori, we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror at nihilism and race, while quantum mechanics and genetics are rushing towards us through the windshield.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Life is what you make of it. That in and of itself is beautiful in my mind.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

WhoCares

Quantum Mechanics also tells us that at the macroscopic level, the level we live on, that things are exquisitely predictable with statistics.

I know I'm officially an INTJ and should dig that stuff but actually I have no idea what you are trying to say. Does it really matter if we call it nihilism or quantum mechanics or whether or not it is actually predictable with some branch of mathematics? Nihilism comes down to how one is perceiving their world and generally a world which is perceived as random, unpredictable and and utterly without meaning engenders feelings of despair.

A_priori

Why has homo sapiens become so successful? Or we might ask, what niche does homo sapiens fill? What does homo sapiens have other animals don't?

Well, it's obvious homo sapiens is inter-subjective. In other words I can know what you are thinking and you can know what I am thinking - setting up an inter-subjective loop.

And an inter-subjective loop is simply meaning. So we are a meaning creating animal. In fact we are a large, a very large, meaning creating animal, about 7 billion of us. So taken as a whole, homo sapiens is the largest animal on the planet.

Normally of course we think of the Blue Whale as the largest animal that has every lived and is alive today, but the enormous Blue Whale is a minnow compared to homo sapiens.

And being such a large animal we are connecting our various parts, such as the inner and outer of our psyche; and we are connecting ourselves across time and space 24/7 across the entire planet, just as we do on Central.
    Okay not to negate the fact that you might be intellectual according to some sort of measure, but lets just consider you were actually trying to argue a point where what you were saying was based on science. Can you actually prove that we as humans have anymore worth than any other being?

I don't know I guess what gets me in the grand scheme of things is that you post stuff on here using all your quantum, technical jargon when I don't think you have said anyhing really in the direction of scince or objectivity. Everything you write is based on your collective knowlage or collective experience and is just as bias as the last persons post ect.. Who really knows if anything in this world holds a certain significance or meaning?

In order to know this answer you would have to have some sort of higher power to conform your beliefs, which you do not nor does anyone on here. So, what I am ultimately trying to get at here is that I don't think it's going to matter how many posts or how methodical you try and portray yourself. The fact still remains that Nihilism is just as valid of a philosophical view pont as your own, no matter what century it derived from.

A_priori

Yes, A-priori, we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror at nihilism and race, while quantum mechanics and genetics are rushing towards us through the windshield.
    Oh and btw, if you mean we as in me as well you can scratch my off that list.

MBTI
    INTJ

If we are meaning creating animals, our heaven is replete with meaning and our hell has nil meaning, is meaningless, ruled by nihilism.
    You're fun.

Do you really want to debate or just see who can think up the most ridiculous statements?
    wails from the crypt.