User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Nihilism

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I stand by what I say.

Unless you give me a viable reason not to...
    Fair enough everyone's intitled to their opinion. I just don't like how you took what I said out of context. I'm actually a really down to earth do good person. I just believe that people put on a mask and our greedy for the most part, if that makes me bad then so be it lol. I also stand by what I say viable reason or not.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by A_priori View Post
    Fair enough everyone's intitled to their opinion. I just don't like how you took what I said out of context. I'm actually a really down to earth do good person. I just believe that people put on a mask and our greedy for the most part, if that makes me bad then so be it lol. I also stand by what I say viable reason or not.
    I'm sure you took what I said out of context.

I'm not talking about you personally at all...
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I'm sure you took what I said out of context.

I'm not talking about you personally at all...
    Ya maybe your right on your end in a sense.. I guess I've just been disappointed and seen so much crap from others who claim to be so loving a caring and now I'm slightly bias. Maybe I am pessimistic but that doesn't mean I don't care.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    At a certain point, you have to stop concerning yourself with what's correct on an objective or universal level, simply for practical reasons. Being a nihilist turns you into a dick. And that eventually makes your local space unmanageable. You could say that playing along with others doesn't matter either, but if that's the case, just kill yourself. You're sparing yourself and everyone else some trouble this way. The other option is to be unapologetic about it all, and secure your right to be a dick by domination.. but more than likely you will lose. Nietzsche's ubermensch is a myth. Someone will kick your ass eventually, be a greater dick than you, and you'll lose whatever rights you thought you had. Rinse, repeat. The smart thing to do (imo) is to break the cycle. To believe that some things are worth preserving. Some general ideals about humanity is a good start. You don't have to be too serious about it. Who gives a fuck if it's not valid on an "objective" level. It works, as far as we are concerned. We can deal with bigger pictures when we meet extraterrestrials.
    why's it necessary to believe at all?

if you've got the practical realization that you need to cooperate superficially to survive then why not keep your cooperation on a purely superficial level?

I would identify myself as a nihilist, but it definitely hasn't made my local space unmanageable. I deal directly with the self interest of people I'm interacting with, in the case of people who can't be reached except through using the ideas I myself have discarded I will even "lower" myself to throwing their terms around.

While a nihilist stance will obliterate all of the so-called universals society loves, it makes the actual similarities between people far more easy to see.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTJ

That being said I haven't been able to hold a job in years.
    wails from the crypt.

Nihilism and Hell

Our first Right is the Right to Life and Nihilism denies this and so opens the way to the denial of all our other Rights and so the denial of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights itself.

We are seeing the result of the denial of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Syria today in 2013.

And such a denial is leading to hell in Syria.

MBTI
    INTJ

I really doubt that hell is being inflicted by nihilists.

More likely by nationalists, religious people, etc.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Nihilism is self defeating. For more productive teen angst: pick relativism
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    I really doubt that hell is being inflicted by nihilists.

More likely by nationalists, religious people, etc.
    If we are meaning creating animals, our heaven is replete with meaning and our hell has nil meaning, is meaningless, ruled by nihilism.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I think death should be interesting, certainly I want to see if it matches up to my experience the first time round.

As for the nature of nihilism. I agree with the thoughts flying around here about our 'speck of dust' existence. We are like the petri dish someone left out to long, a fungus or bacteria of the universe.

However that has made me realise that....regardless, dwelling on the thought until it dominates the perspective wastes a life. Unless it is used to fuel an exploration of what our senses tell us our reality is, through an attempt to remove the self from the point of view, (an impossible task really but one worth attempting), then maybe it can be used for perhaps ourselves as a species, or even just because.

Science of course does this through our terms and our understanding of reality. It cross compares and measures, trying to find new avenues of comprehension.

But even then it relies on the assumption that what we know of reality is indeed correct and true. Frankly most of us, (myself included), will not see the wonders of exploration on that larger scale, it may not even happen at all, but that dream should be kept alive.

As for humanity. Everything is a constant war that has always stemmed from a war within ourselves, Jung was right when he said that man does not know himself and that this is dangerous.

In truth we can deride and wipe our hands of our own species in bitterness and pessimism, but truthfully we can never be free of ourselves and our own species. It is selfish to think in terms of our own species as so many do, but then again such a concept as selfishness is extremely human and this is a sign, perhaps, that some among us are taking notice.

One thing that is true though: We have a LOT of fucking work ahead of us.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.