User Tag List

123 Last

A_priori

Default Bobby Fischer an INTP or INTJ

For those of you who are not familiar with who bobby Fischer was, he was the world chess Champaign from the mid 70s with a peak rating of almost 2800. He was a genius and an American icon who I believe will forever remain the worlds best chess player.

Anyways, I was just watching this documentary "Bobby Fischer against the world" and was trying to typecast what he might be. I'm thinking he's an INTP but he does show some characteristics or an INTJ, I was wondering what other NTs thought..

So INTP or INTJ and why?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

How about ISTP? (Even though chess is "strategic," it's could also be played for the thrill.)

ndovjtjcaqidthi

INTJ for sure.

Infinite Bubble

I thought INTJ too. Ni for envisioning many moves ahead, and walking away from games because the audience or lighting wasn't right for him, makes me think tert-Fi. INTJs can also be very paranoid as he was later in life, but that's most likely down to Schizophrenia. The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    How about ISTP? (Even though chess is "strategic," it's could also be played for the thrill.)
    He did play it for the thrill of seeing the opponent crack.

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    He did play it for the thrill of seeing the opponent crack.
    The ISTPs that I know wouldn't likely have the patience or interest for chess. This is strictly subjective as most everything on this forum. I only know of 3 ISTPs and none of them are into chess.

I don't see how playing for the thrill would make one an ISTP to begin with.

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I thought INTJ too. Ni for envisioning many moves ahead, and walking away from games because the audience or lighting wasn't right for him, makes me think tert-Fi. INTJs can also be very paranoid as he was later in life, but that's most likely down to Schizophrenia. The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.
    Intresting points made. It's funny because I equated the whole parinoia thing in the same light.

A_priori

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I don't see how playing for the thrill would make one an ISTP to begin with.
    Lol ya no doubt ...

Riva

Are we to come to type him based on his chess strategies or reading about him or watching his interviews? - the third I believe is the best.

I haven't watched any videos/interviews of him.
    I have read about him.
    I haven't analysed his chess strategies - which I believe is a wrong way to type him or anyone.

So lets type him by his eccentric behaviours - INTP.

INTJs are eccentric but they are good at hiding them. Bobby Fischer not so much.

I'm of course stereotyping for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.
    Chess is based on pattern recognition and counterattack. What better way to recognize patterns than to have seen them / studied them / memorized them? After awhile what one memorizes and applies over and over (practice) becomes reflex action. Sportsmen do it too. Memorizing must be Si but physically applying or simply applying when the moment is at hand isn't Si it's immediate reaction / reflex.

He was probably aiming for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Is seeking thrill limited to SPs is a good question to ask.