Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by A_priori View Post
    The ISTPs that I know wouldn't likely have the patience or interest for chess. This is strictly subjective as most everything on this forum. I only know of 3 ISTPs and none of them are into chess.
    Oh please, a lot of people like chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I don't see how playing for the thrill would make one an ISTP to begin with.
    Artisan temperament (the thrill-seeking temperament).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Occam's Razor. INTJ.
    A search for truth is a search for a greedy perspective.

Nah, that's not truth. That's just your bullshit ideas of truth. Truth is always inclusive. If it's not inclusive, then toughen it up and try harder.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

This guy is clearly a Mastermind INTJ, but if he isn't, he's an IxTP, based on the flow of the comments presented thus far.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I neither know nor care. He had unreasonably delicious hands, though.

He was probably a massive prick, but I bet the man got more box than the USPS.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp
    Socionics
    ILI

INTJs are calculating with their sometimes incredible foresight. In this respect I would say Mr Fischer was was an INTJ. Memorizing hundreds of different scenarios could have just been a confidence booster.
    Strong preference of Introversion over Extroversion (89%) ; Distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (62%) ; Slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%) ; Slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%) - { slightly cracked }

- MY TUMBLR -

According to Mr. Fischer, nothing in chess is more important than a good memory.

A_priori

Well I have played chess since i was a young kid and one thing I can tell you from experience is that even when I played at around 1700, it was difficult to remember anything past 10 moves from opening. With every move that is made in chess thousands upon thousands of differnt variables are created. To me chess is way more than memory. I personally think it is much more about improvising and planning ahead. In order to become really good you have to have a mind for the abstract and I think any decent chess player would agree. Don't get me wrong, i think that memory does play a valuable role in chess, I just disagree that it is the most important element.

Fischer was a most interesting mind, he would flip through chess books like nothing and visually play though an entire game in a matter of seconds. I don't think this is as much about memory recall as it is connecting the dots if you guys know where I am going with this. For this reason I am not disregarding INTP as a possibility. IDk, it's really tough to say though..

Infinite Bubble

I found two quotes that could shed a bit more light on him...

TL;DR quote:

But the thing that was great about Capablanca was that he really spoke his mind, he said what he believed was true, he said what he felt. He wanted to change the rules [of chess] already, back in the twenties, because he said chess was getting played out. He was right. Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorisation and prearrangement. It’s a terrible game now. Very uncreative.
    True, he said memorisation was a large part of it, but he certainly didn't think it was the be and end all of the game.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I thought INTJ too. Ni for envisioning many moves ahead, and walking away from games because the audience or lighting wasn't right for him, makes me think tert-Fi. INTJs can also be very paranoid as he was later in life, but that's most likely down to Schizophrenia. The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.
    I wish I could remember the exact definition I read one time. It said that Ni used past, present, & future to correlate patterns. It can take a past piece of information along with the way something looks currently, and predict the future. I don't see why Si would be the only function good for memorizing for this matter. They are more into protecting their past experiences. I would even go as far as to say I would presume someone with Ni may come to remember something they didn't realize they previously did when a "aha!" moment happens.

I think Ni would be ideal for playing chess. Te would be great for strategizing.
    INTP
    5w4
    Phlegmatic

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/

A_priori

TI-NE ?