• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why do xNTP's think out loud?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll literally start dreaming up things in my head and imagining different futuristic scenarios and ideas.

i have spent possibly hundreds of hours thinking about what if i were suddenly in around year 1400 with the stuff that i am currently wearing and what to do without being accused of witchcraft and how to get along with my life there, how to prove them that im not a witch and am from the future, how to educate the people and help to advance their technologies(great and entertaining way for reviewing my knowledge about stuff :yes: ), how to get in good terms with the king(without making him go crazy and try to rule the world with the knowledge i offer), traveling the world with the aid from the kings troops(in promise to bring some useful plants etc from other sides of the world) etc etc :D . havent done that in some time tho, but it was some theme some years ago that lasted over a year. yea wouldnt be too good of an idea to talk about that subject for long periods of time to people :D

sunako

Talking helps develop my ideas. I need a person tho, doing it all by myself feels strange.

sunako

[MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] the only thing is to try. :D

Seriously when I dream strange scenarios in this fashion most of the times I start annoying my friends with them and possibly we end up writing the plot for a novel or something.

i have spent possibly hundreds of hours thinking about what if i were suddenly in around year 1400 with the stuff that i am currently wearing and what to do without being accused of witchcraft and how to get along with my life there, how to prove them that im not a witch and am from the future, how to educate the people and help to advance their technologies(great and entertaining way for reviewing my knowledge about stuff :yes: ), how to get in good terms with the king(without making him go crazy and try to rule the world with the knowledge i offer), traveling the world with the aid from the kings troops(in promise to bring some useful plants etc from other sides of the world) etc etc :D . havent done that in some time tho, but it was some theme some years ago that lasted over a year. yea wouldnt be too good of an idea to talk about that subject for long periods of time to people :D

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

Yes, this is the same sort of shit that goes through my head as well. I can definitely relate.

S

Society

it's all about the toaster...

as for the main topic and most of the posts here, all i can really say is "yep, me too".

i don't see a problem with it though. the only negative ramification is social and even then only with the interaction with strangers looking at you funny.

otherwise, if someone asks you "what?" you can always use it to strike a conversation, and with the people who know you there's more then a nice advantage in filling up their idea of the bunny eared lawyer.
bunnyearslawyer_6414.jpg

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
On the possibility of it being a Ne/Si thing, I don't know. I really don't think aloud much, not in terms of real processing. When I need to sort something out, I write and rewrite and rewrite. I don't usually like others to hear my nascent thoughts regarding my serious opinions. It's uncomfortable and I often can't explain adequately.

Maybe it's different for Ne-Ti, though, or maybe I'm an oddball out.

Rad3k

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. I've done it my whole life. I will literally walk down the street thinking out loud and people with think that I'm nuts, lmao. I'm trying to find a way to stop.
I do it sometimes when I think nobody can hear me. When someone suddenly comes from behind a corner then I'm like "Oh crap!" - I instantly shut up and pretend that it wasn't me talking. It's so embarrassing :blush: Then I'm silent for some few minutes, and then start talking again, for the whole story to repeat itself.

i dont, but i do think by "speaking" in my mind and speaking out loud what i think slows me down, because in my thinking i replace many large concepts, places, moments etc with "this and that" all the time and skip words at times, because i dont have to explain them to me, but if i were to talk to others, i would have to explain..
I do it too. Actually sometimes I try to explain things to myself to get clearer picture, but when I find it too bothersome, I say in my thoughts "Screw this, you already know what I mean" and then, the other part of me replies "No shit, Sherlock!". But I think that it's useful to explain to yourself things that you think you understand - only then you can see how well you really understand them.

I think out loud- meaning I'm either talking it out, or writing it out.

It helps me make sense of what's in my head- organize my thoughts- all that.

I can have the problem clearly figured out in my mind, and a solution as well, but all of the parts in between are usually murky until I either talk or write it out.
This. By the way, I've read about some experiments that compared performance of people that were either encouraged to think out loud, or prohibited from it. It was shown that in general, when people think out loud, they're better at solving problems.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what i've noticed about talking aloud (more broadly than just with ntps) is that it seems like it follows some basic criteria. extroversion, impulsiveness, excitement, and Fe. the act of sharing meanings is grounding because you get to emerge a values context that helps provide the social reality part of what you are trying to explore. the excitement part is just spewing out networks of hunches (collusions) that you're afraid to lose and want to capture by a kind of blurting, racing description. i include extroversion because i just mean a state of active, unreflective creativity. it uses the talk system to work through the problem, which channels your creative energies through different resources, helping you mediate your resources in a different way (that is probably necessary for Fe users at times and a big aspect of how we predict something, make hypotheses, run simulations).

it's more about context, i think, more for organizing the conditions than it is for solving the puzzle. so it's good when the puzzle has become figuring out what the puzzle is rather than simply acting or moving forward most directly within the more narrow confines that have emerged in your own thinking.

this process is also much of why i enjoy spending time with ntps. i have the easiest time engaging in simulation games. still learning, i think on all sides, how to turn that into tangible production processes for all parties. but it helps keep the story going, refining it, reshaping it, and remembering the distributed motives that i cannot sufficiently hold within myself.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Same here. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm crazy, it's productive and entertaining.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=6752]Rad3k[/MENTION]

Yeah, I do it to. I wish I could find a way to stop it so that people don't think that I'm a complete nutbag.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6752]Rad3k[/MENTION]

Yeah, I do it to. I wish I could find a way to stop it so that people don't think that I'm a complete nutbag.

Your new avatar is a complete nutbag. :weirdbanana:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can thank Jennifer for that. She was the brainchild behind this idea.

Oh, no need to thank me. I was just bringing Christmas cheer with a gift I knew you'd like; it was your idea to avatar it. :smile:

<--- and so I tip my hat to you, sir. ;)

NTzilla

MBTI Type
eNTP
Any Ne user will "think" out loud. Though the primary Ne users will do it far more often as they are the extroverted ones.

This "thinking" process is not really a thinking process, more a free association to link different objects.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Oh, no need to thank me. I was just bringing Christmas cheer with a gift I knew you'd like; it was your idea to avatar it. :smile:

<--- and so I tip my hat to you, sir. ;)

**Tears up** It is the best Christmas Gift ever!

Hildur

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think out loud. If I said my thoughts out loud no one would be my friend. :<

Yeah! It's bad enough with the things I do say...

I definitely do NOT think out loud. Don't think I ever did (trying to remember what it was like being a kid, centuries ago, but I think I was silent then as well).
My associate (ESTJ) thinks out loud all day long, and - worse - insists that I listen and comment. In the beginning I found this incredibly tedious, because she interrupts my work with every little step in her rather slow thinking chains. Fortunately I have learned how to keep working at the same time as I listen to her, and just give enough feedback not to be accused of "not listening".

There's an expression in Sweden that you either "talk first, then think " or "think first, then talk". I usually "think first, then keep it to myself so as not to disturb others". For me I think it comes mostly from being mocked for having "strange thoughts" and asking "weird questions" when I was a kid...

Edit: I do talk to myself when I'm alone, especially when I need to make decisions it actually seems to make sense to think out loud.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, honestly, it's just not a thing I do. My EsFJ mom talks out loud the most of anyone I know. Sometimes it's just easier for people to verbalize their thoughts for whatever reason.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Neophyte looses Apollo's arrow. Stuttering ...stuttering. the red clay finds peace in the Andromeda galaxy. Clown nose cheerleader rides the day long. Reconciliation of dreams, the sparkles jangle

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Seems clear to me that its a Ti think. Back when I used to test more INTP I would do it pretty often.