• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

?

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder this be linked to typology...

Yea no[/B], I was home.
[*]He's like fat.
[*]I don't know, I guess I like it, you know?
[*]It tastes good, I mean I like it.
[*]He's so dead.
[/LIST]

I will use "Yeah, no" from time to time; even in my native language thanks to some guy I know.:D I only use "I mean" when others don't understand what I'm trying to say or I need to expand. Otherwise, I hardly use any of these.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Be glad you all dont speak german. You have no idea how many (usefulness is argueable) words there could be :D

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP

Sounds like a good practice.

This happens a lot in Spanish too, if you read a Spanish book or article the sentence will be, truly, divided into tangents and filled with, what some would call to the disagreement of others but after all in line with common public opinion on the issue if not, strictly speaking, academic formalities, "qualifying" words somewhat, if not necessarilly identical, at the very least, similair to said German practices which you otulined above; and,let it be noted, usually without full stops, this sentence being just one example of said common practice hwich, while unreadable in English, in Spanish would not be, to say the very least, uncommon

:D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I thought they just put them into one long word.:D

Oh yes, its pretty functional and you can recombine at will.

The longest word, which is even in the dictionary is: Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

It means Donau (a river) steam boat electricity main factory construction sub-company :dry:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like a good practice.

This happens a lot in Spanish too, if you read a Spanish book or article the sentence will be, truly, divided into tangents and filled with, what some would call to the disagreement of others but after all in line with common public opinion on the issue if not, strictly speaking, academic formalities, "qualifying" words somewhat, if not necessarilly identical, at the very least, similair to said German practices which you otulined above; and,let it be noted, usually without full stops, this sentence being just one example of said common practice hwich, while unreadable in English, in Spanish would not be, to say the very least, uncommon

:D

Yeah, I know.

Soy traductora y cada vez que me toca traducir un contrato o alguna escritura u otro texto legal me desespero con ese tipo de sintaxis. Es tan baroco y muy dificil de traducir al alemán que tiene una sintaxis igual de compleja pero muy distinta. Y encima este tipo de textos suele estar lleno de "exelentisimos" - me sabe al siglo XVII, tal vez es el precio por ser una monarquia :D

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Yeah, I know.

Soy traductora y cada vez que me toca traducir un contrato o alguna escritura u otro texto legal me desespero con ese tipo de sintaxis. Es tan baroco y muy dificil de traducir al alemán que tiene una sintaxis igual de compleja pero muy distinta. Y encima este tipo de textos suele estar lleno de "exelentisimos" - me sabe al siglo XVII, tal vez es el precio por ser una monarquia :D

:laugh:

translator is such an INTP job. ;)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Aha id forgotten about that.

Well now I can be smug, since my regional accent makes such inflections almost impossible; besides it's undesirable at the best of times.

Although im still guilty of 'yeah...but no..."

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those aren't unnecessary words, smartass. :alttongue:

I use words that convey the possibility of imprecision and words that leave things open to exceptions because I'm quite picky about the things that I state as universal truths.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Be glad you all dont speak german. You have no idea how many (usefulness is argueable) words there could be :D

The germans have their own words for literally everything! Even though I'd say my german is not that bad, Reading a car manual in german (we've got a lot of mercedes/setra) can be a real pain!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I use these when I'm anxious and trying to buy time to figure out what to say.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
firstly i think way too many things annoy you.

secondly...yeah for sure i do. i try to cram as many of them as i can in one sentence....usually.

i'm thinking you're just not getting that there is more than one way to talk...you can be direct...or you can have certain words peppered throughout that actually add more meaning and more precision to your words...less decisive...but certainly more accurate.

example: yeah, no. means more than no. it means i'm acknowledging your assumption of my answer being no is correct.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Weren't people able to communicate 50 years ago? They didn't use those words, or at least not as much as they do today. If we go back 100 years ago, I doubt there were any people who were using them. (them = at least most of them)

I doubt that very much. Literature is no basis for judgement. Maybe not the words you highlighted, but I'm sure they had equivalents. Possibly more verbose equivalents, but still equivalents.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Have you interacted with old people, especially those reluctant to change? And even better if that was 10 or 20 years ago. ;)

Maybe old people are less prone to using them than younger people, but old people are also generally more certain and less apologetic of their opinions (ridiculous though some of them may be). Especially those reluctant to change.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EDIT: friend posted a post in my place... sorry language...