• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Im not sure, I might have done at one point in my younger years.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I genuinely thought I would outgrow using "like" after high school. But I'm from the West Coast, so apparently I'm doomed to use it until I'm old and gray (and although I haven't lived on the West Coast for ten years...) :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah no, I *so* use those words. I mean, it's not like I've got somebody to impress, you know? Seriously. It depends who I'm talking to.

I intersperse oversized words with colloquialisms, bad grammar, nerdisms and slang picked up from my depression era grandmother, my teenage kids and most periods in between. These kinds of things happen when a kid from a trailer park develops a reading addiction. I believe that English was made to be mangled and I try to do my part.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes people make things into questions when they aren't? By lifting their voice at the end of the sentence?

Yes, it happens, and is also useless. ?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't see it as a common occurrence, but that is, indeed, odd. I don't find it annoying, however.

I hear it less these days, but lots of young(er) people still do it?

Yes, yes they do.

Might be a West coast phenomenon.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes people make things into questions when they aren't? By lifting their voice at the end of the sentence?

Yes, it happens, and is also useless. ?

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i use these too much...

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

HAHA! Yes, that's it!(?)
I think it's a technique designed to increase social cohesion; it promotes what I call 'a meeting of the amygdalas': it connects the subconscious, emotionally-centered mamalian brain to another brain, and it happens semi-independently of what else is said.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder this be linked to typology...
I don't think so. In my opinion, you pick up your vocabulary from the people around you.
Do you use those "expressions," those useless words that I find so annoying when they are use "in a particular way," which is how a lot of people use them.

• Yea no, I was home.
  • He's like fat.
  • I don't know, I guess I like it, you know?
  • It tastes good, I mean I like it.
  • He's so dead.

Personally, I find this utterly annoying and I know I missed a few "expressions." I never do that... But then again, I'm not a native speaker, so maybe I'm not a good subject to compare. On the other hand, native language of mine has at least one similar expression that is used quite often, which I don't use either.
I use "like" and "you know", because
1) I'm still in college and can therefore get away with it, and
2) I use them for practical purposes. (I don't consider them to be useless.)

"You know" is a question that anticipates an affirmation; I'd use a different phrase for that same purpose if another one was equally widespread. I use "like" as a placeholder, and placeholder words are everywhere regardless of language. (e.g. "ya'ni" in Arabic, which is incredibly similar to "I mean"). What are the placeholder words in your native language?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use them. But only when I know it will annoy someone.

Has nothing to do with type. Not everything is about type, you know?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How come I didn't pick up any? ;)
Well okay then! :tongue:
Usually people use the "you know?" without expecting an affirmation, at least from what I've noticed.
I'm always expecting a nod, or a "yeah, exactly"/"yeah, totally"/"for real" -- or at least some sort of acknowledgment of what I just said. :) Could be a girl thing -- I think girls expect interjections more than guys do -- and could also be who I hang out with.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Do you use those "expressions," those useless words that I find so annoying when they are use "in a particular way," which is how a lot of people use them.

• Yea no, I was home.
  • He's like fat.
  • He's so dead.

Personally, I find this utterly annoying and I know I missed a few "expressions." I never do that... But then again, I'm not a native speaker, so maybe I'm not a good subject to compare. On the other hand, native language of mine has at least one similar expression that is used quite often, which I don't use either.

Alas, we can never hang out, I would annoy you. :laugh:

I don't actually use the phrases in the OP, but I am quite certain I use 'useless' words/phrases in my speech. I would have picked them up somewhere, and then they've become habit/integrated in how I talk. I'm probably not even aware of some of it. :shrug:

Lark

• Yea no, I was home.
  • He's like fat.
  • He's so dead.

Hmm, you find other people annoying a lot I've noticed. Paying special attention to speech patterns, hmm, interesting, carry on.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I assume that the subject may know what I'm talking about (say remembers the intro cinematic from a game or a movie), I do ask that question, but I use phrases like "you know what I'm talking about, right?", "you know it?", and one that I use around here and translates oddly, "understand, right?" - it does make sense in my native language. As I see it, it indicates that I DO expect an answer as I'm only speculating and I want to make sure that he gets me - why else would I talk?
After rambling for a bit I generally have to use "you know?" after a short delay, to make sure they're still engaged; they may have thought I was venting and tuned me out, when I actually wanted feedback.

Your phrases would work too; my only concern would be that they're a little more obvious. A little more like they're saying "You ARE still listening, right?" Whereas "you know?" has a different connotation, in my mind.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Oh gooooooood, I'm so guilty of 'yeah no' and 'I mean.'

u_u

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP

• Yea no, I was home.
  • He's like fat.
  • He's so dead.

I use those words all the time.

Maybe you are INTJ after all, lol.