First 12345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    I wonder this be linked to typology...

Do you use those "expressions," those useless words that I find so annoying when they are use "in a particular way," which is how a lot of people use them.

• Yea no, I was home.
    • He's like fat.
    • I don't know, I guess I like it, you know?
    • It tastes good, I mean I like it.
    • He's so dead.

Personally, I find this utterly annoying and I know I missed a few "expressions." I never do that... But then again, I'm not a native speaker, so maybe I'm not a good subject to compare. On the other hand, native language of mine has at least one similar expression that is used quite often, which I don't use either.
    Hmm, you find other people annoying a lot I've noticed. Paying special attention to speech patterns, hmm, interesting, carry on.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

If I assume that the subject may know what I'm talking about (say remembers the intro cinematic from a game or a movie), I do ask that question, but I use phrases like "you know what I'm talking about, right?", "you know it?", and one that I use around here and translates oddly, "understand, right?" - it does make sense in my native language. As I see it, it indicates that I DO expect an answer as I'm only speculating and I want to make sure that he gets me - why else would I talk?
    After rambling for a bit I generally have to use "you know?" after a short delay, to make sure they're still engaged; they may have thought I was venting and tuned me out, when I actually wanted feedback.

Your phrases would work too; my only concern would be that they're a little more obvious. A little more like they're saying "You ARE still listening, right?" Whereas "you know?" has a different connotation, in my mind.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

WALMART

Do you use those useless words?

The irony is not lost on me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Oh gooooooood, I'm so guilty of 'yeah no' and 'I mean.'

u_u

MBTI
    xxTP

I wonder this be linked to typology...

Do you use those "expressions," those useless words that I find so annoying when they are use "in a particular way," which is how a lot of people use them.

• Yea no, I was home.
    • He's like fat.
    • I don't know, I guess I like it, you know?
    • It tastes good, I mean I like it.
    • He's so dead.

Personally, I find this utterly annoying and I know I missed a few "expressions." I never do that... But then again, I'm not a native speaker, so maybe I'm not a good subject to compare. On the other hand, native language of mine has at least one similar expression that is used quite often, which I don't use either.
    I use those words all the time.

Maybe you are INTJ after all, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, you find other people annoying a lot I've noticed. Paying special attention to speech patterns, hmm, interesting, carry on.
    As for speech patterns, isn't a patter a repetitive sequence? I notice the odd meaning and formation of the sentence*. Although, one can argue that I compare them to past experiences of how it was used elsewhere, but I don't see it that way.

* ...And he was like "I'm okay man!" I don't get how "like" is applicable here. It just doesn't fit, however I think about it. I didn't like this ever since I first heard it.

As for annoyance - I do. I believe I've an idyllic need for things to make sense (in this case, logical formulation of the sentences) which derives from my high standards for me and for others.

So what was your implication by that post?

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    After rambling for a bit I generally have to use "you know?" after a short delay, to make sure they're still engaged; they may have thought I was venting and tuned me out, when I actually wanted feedback.

Your phrases would work too; my only concern would be that they're a little more obvious. A little more like they're saying "You ARE still listening, right?" Whereas "you know?" has a different connotation, in my mind.
    No, I don't use them to determine if the person's listening to me. I use them to find out if I have to tell him (in this example) what was in the cinematic or not for him to get the context. I usually keep people on their toes if I sense that they may not be listening to me, or maybe in general as well, depends on the situation and the topic.

The original problem is that we have a different understanding of "you know."

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Do you use those useless words?

The irony is not lost on me.
    The question was about the words in the OP, not any words, therefore, "those" is applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I use those words all the time.

Maybe you are INTJ after all, lol.
    I have noticed that INTPs don't have a problem with them and use them themselves... So far anyway.

I actually thought that this was either an NT thing or even an NTP thing - disliking such words. INTPs are said to deconstruct things to details, which is what this is - noticing lingual inconsistencies. It seems like I've been wrong.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I used to say the equivalent of ''like'' and ''you know'' a lot, but I guess I was mostly adapting to the audience.

Since I left college I sort of stopped using those.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I've tried to stop doing this ("like" in particular) but I can't; it's too ingrained in my patterns of speech. I even made it a New Year's resolution to reduce it but it didn't work. I've had people tease me about it and I completely realise it makes me sound like an imbecile and I really hate that, but what can I do?

Also, I really don't think a non-native speaker should judge either. You won't be as aware of the reasons behind using so called "useless" words. I find they almost always serve a purpose; they communicate uncertainty, or emphasis, or are an attempt to buy time (to think what to say next), or are an attempt to connect with the other person. True it can be (a bad) habit to a degree but they still mean something.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Yeah...No. Like, if I wanted to sound unintelligent, I'd like, dress up as an ESTJ politician, ya know?
    people who expect a change
    who can't throw away their humanity
    who stay idle in growth
    who won't dirty their hands
    those are the most terrifying of monsters