User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Is it possible to be an INTP that has ENTP tendencies?

I'm 27. Male. Engineer. Rough child hood. Married to an ENTJ (together for 7+ years)

I was kind of a wreck before I met my wife. I've done a lot of emotional growing since we've been together, and I feel like I'm a pretty well adjusted person now. I don't have meltdowns anymore, and I am much more comfortable in social settings. I still test strongly as an introvert (73&#37, although my other types are even stronger.

Here's the question. If you were to read me the traits of an ENTP and an INTP, I'd tell you I'm an ENTP. Although these traits have only shown themselves in the last year or so. Previous to that I was an INTP all the way. In fact I can almost flip a switch and feel comfortable as either an ENTP or an INTP. Is it possible that I'm an ENTP who just likes to be alone? Am I an INTP who now deals very well in social situations?

Thoughts?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You can be naturally introverted and still feel socially comfortable more with your Ne function, depending on your life experience -- which would make you look more like an ENTP in terms of your outward behavior.

So yes. It all comes down to function use. There could also be ENTPs who were more squelched in expressing their Ne so they focus more on their Ti and look more like INTPs.

(Note: if you don't understand MBTI function usage yet, just ask for more info and someone will direct you or post some more info on it...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Greetings there to a fellow engineer . Hope it is mechanical engineering and not that other boring stuff xD.

I really cant help you much with your question, because I myself switch personalities like all day long. I have been from entp to enfp to entj and back to entp.

I think and that is one indication for me, what it could be that the intp follows a plan. So his thinking over a problem results into a solution.

I myself am occupied with problems that last still I first stumbled upon them in my life. There are so much different facettes of life and approaches to a solution, popping in your face day by day that you must not take them all in, unless you aim to become completly nuts one day. I think I am one the right way to become nuts, for I jump over Introverted Thinking when I can and approach it with an emotional sense or just a sense for an idea that could generate a new POV of things one day.

To sum it up, I think that entp are constantly in the business for change and lack to pinpoint out in between results, while intp decide one day and proceed to more advanced levels of the game.

There is something about what is the judging function within you. I think with "perceiving p" the judging function is the third one, what would be emotion with the entp and sensory data with the intp. That generally would sum up my idea there. But Jennifer is the better one to explain the i , n, T and F, 's whatever .

Hope this text is somehow understandable .

cu
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFJ

I wouldn't really consider introversion and extroversion in MBTI terms to have much to do with introversion and extroversion in the traditional sense... E versus I isn't social versus nonsocial, it's the order of the functions, and ENTPs are sometimes considered the most introverted of the extroverts (Ne is very internalized even though it's extroverted, and Ti isn't very sociable, either)

My mother is an introvert according to MBTI (ISFJ) but she's very good at getting along with people and very comfortable socially. Hell, even I can be chatty when the mood strikes me. If you're really looking for stuff you might want to look at the order of the bottom two functions.

Or something like that.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

YOU can be chatty ? Gosh, look in the skies, they are full of stars *hug*
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    epyT

I can be chatty too, if I'm with people I know well, or if an interesting discussion is started, or if I get to explain something to someone (great fun).

I'm INTP most of the time, but have spurts of INTJ or even ENTJ-like behavior if I'm put in charge or people. These switches are more "letter" switches than anything else, though. My cognitive functions remain pretty much constant, it seems.

And keep in mind that we use every letter (to varying extents) and have been each type at some point in time. Or maybe not, my MBTI knowledge is about 1 step past basic.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Here's the question. If you were to read me the traits of an ENTP and an INTP, I'd tell you I'm an ENTP. Although these traits have only shown themselves in the last year or so. Previous to that I was an INTP all the way. In fact I can almost flip a switch and feel comfortable as either an ENTP or an INTP. Is it possible that I'm an ENTP who just likes to be alone? Am I an INTP who now deals very well in social situations?
    Thoughts?
    It is a good question. I sometimes think self-identified introverted rationals are just depressed extroverts. I certainly became much more introverted over the last 5 years. Then, I had a tendency to flip between I and E. I liked defending and befriending the outsider loner types. From there I would conscript them into a gang of nerd-supertroopers snickering in class at the common sheep. I got people who ordinarily would not have anything in common to be friends through their connection with me. All that has been scaled back and this coincides with some recurring dark, pessimistic view of humanity. I still flip the switch now, but far less often.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I wouldn't really consider introversion and extroversion in MBTI terms to have much to do with introversion and extroversion in the traditional sense... E versus I isn't social versus nonsocial, it's the order of the functions, and ENTPs are sometimes considered the most introverted of the extroverts (Ne is very internalized even though it's extroverted, and Ti isn't very sociable, either)
    I totally get that. In my house with a socially-isolated ISFJ wife (i.e. stay-at-home mom) and five kids, I have been known to take a book into the bathroom and close the door for the sake of a mere fifteen minutes of solitude.

MBTI
    ENTP

simply being comfortable in a socialized enviroment doesnt make you an ENTP, i too feel comfortable in a social enviroment, and im an introvert
    what does make you an ENTP or an INTP is what you prefer, to be solitary, or to be with other people
    as some have said, you have preferences for a given type/letter. Prefering I over E doesnt mean that you arent able to socialize properly

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I totally get that. In my house with a socially-isolated ISFJ wife (i.e. stay-at-home mom) and five kids, I have been known to take a book into the bathroom and close the door for the sake of a mere fifteen minutes of solitude.
    You're fortunate. Not even moms are protected by a mere bathroom door,usually.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft