MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    stuff
    I have nothing to add other than proclaiming that your user name is awesome and we should totally fill up these forums with recreations of Transformer episodes.

(Oh, and I think the consensus is to figure out the difference between Ti/Ne and Ne/Ti -- but that is even still confusing to me. If you figure it out, let me know.)
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    It is a good question. I sometimes think self-identified introverted rationals are just depressed extroverts. I certainly became much more introverted over the last 5 years. Then, I had a tendency to flip between I and E. I liked defending and befriending the outsider loner types. From there I would conscript them into a gang of nerd-supertroopers snickering in class at the common sheep. I got people who ordinarily would not have anything in common to be friends through their connection with me. All that has been scaled back and this coincides with some recurring dark, pessimistic view of humanity. I still flip the switch now, but far less often.

I've been thinking lately that I might indeed be a depressed (or at least I was for years until lately, which is why I'm beginning to question my type assessment) extrovert who has misidentified myself as an introvert. I'm only 20 now, so I only have my high school years to go by as experience, which isn't much. I always felt like a misfit in high school, and though I made friends, I preferred to be alone due to high social anxiety. However I was never particularly happy that way...I always longed to externalize my ideas and I feel like I can organize my thoughts best when speaking with someone. I'm good with meeting people at their level and creating rapport between differing personalities in groups - especially with humor - as long as there are no extremely opinionated/aggressive types around.

I think I may indeed be Ne dominant, and I have a pretty high-functioning Fe, so yeah, the jury is still out. The introvert/extrovert divide isn't as easy to discern as I initially believed it to be.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I'm 27. Male. Engineer. Rough child hood. Married to an ENTJ (together for 7+ years)

I was kind of a wreck before I met my wife. I've done a lot of emotional growing since we've been together, and I feel like I'm a pretty well adjusted person now. I don't have meltdowns anymore, and I am much more comfortable in social settings. I still test strongly as an introvert (73%), although my other types are even stronger.

Here's the question. If you were to read me the traits of an ENTP and an INTP, I'd tell you I'm an ENTP. Although these traits have only shown themselves in the last year or so. Previous to that I was an INTP all the way. In fact I can almost flip a switch and feel comfortable as either an ENTP or an INTP. Is it possible that I'm an ENTP who just likes to be alone? Am I an INTP who now deals very well in social situations?

Thoughts?
    I can relate to this. When I was younger I had a lot more shyness, and I really thought of myself as an introvert until my early twenties. I'm really more of an ENTP, but I am pretty close to 50/50 on the E/I spectrum. An example that can cause confusion is that I usually don't say much and prefer to listen. This is mosly because I find "normal" conversation to be somewhat boring. On the other hand I really like to be around groups of people. When I was younger I used to go to the mall and movie theatres by myself a lot, because I liked being around all of those people even though I really had no desire to interact with them.

People who know me can see that I act somewhat like the Singing Frog from the Looney Tunes. I usually am calm and low key, but at certain times I will explode with high energy (and then often I will return to my calm state). Some examples that really put me into excited mode are having a lively discussion, starting a new project, and escecially performing in front of a crowd of people.

Overall I'm an extravert and I fit the description of ENTP, but to a casual observer I look like an introvert. The main thing is that even though I appear calm and aloof I actively seek to be around groups of people, because this sort of thing energizes me.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    I have nothing to add other than proclaiming that your user name is awesome and we should totally fill up these forums with recreations of Transformer episodes.

(Oh, and I think the consensus is to figure out the difference between Ti/Ne and Ne/Ti -- but that is even still confusing to me. If you figure it out, let me know.)
    Ti/Ne is in natural affinity with Thinking first and foremost. Intuitions are used to back up a thought process. Consider Descartes for instance, first of all he seeks to systemize his philosophy and then uses Ne to adduce abstract ideas in support of his system.

An Ne type is primarily concerned with creating a vision. He uses Thinking merely to support his Intuitions. At times to make the vision more tenable, but the vision is an end in itself. Consider Voltaire or Betrand Russell as examples of this.

The difference between Ne/Ti and Ti/Ne is that for the former it is most natural to treat creation of a vision as an end in itself and for Ti/Ne analysis as an end in itself.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    An example that can cause confusion is that I usually don't say much and prefer to listen. This is mosly because I find "normal" conversation to be somewhat boring. On the other hand I really like to be around groups of people. When I was younger I used to go to the mall and movie theatres by myself a lot, because I liked being around all of those people even though I really had no desire to interact with them.

People who know me can see that I act somewhat like the Singing Frog from the Looney Tunes. I usually am calm and low key, but at certain times I will explode with high energy (and then often I will return to my calm state). Some examples that really put me into excited mode are having a lively discussion, starting a new project, and escecially performing in front of a crowd of people.
    I can really relate to this. When in big groups in the past, I rarely talked much, but that was when I was still hanging around a big group of my best friend's friends (she's an ESFJ and she pulled people in from all over the spectrum). I'm noticing a pattern now, though, that I never noticed back then: the reason I didn't talk much there is because the topics bored me. Stuff like jobs, what I ate yesterday...whatever. Now that I'm more selective about who I hang out with, I don't find I have that problem much. I'm thinking it was a S/N thing.

I really enjoy sitting in the middle of crowds as well. I think it's a mechanism for expressing my need to reach out, when there's currently no one to reach out too.

And when I'm with certain groups of friends, that Singing Frog description might be apt, haha. Among the people I regularly hang out with, I'm sort of the entertainer.

Ti/Ne is in natural affinity with Thinking first and foremost. Intuitions are used to back up a thought process. Consider Descartes for instance, first of all he seeks to systemize his philosophy and then uses Ne to adduce abstract ideas in support of his system.

An Ne type is primarily concerned with creating a vision. He uses Thinking merely to support his Intuitions. At times to make the vision more tenable, but the vision is an end in itself. Consider Voltaire or Betrand Russell as examples of this.

The difference between Ne/Ti and Ti/Ne is that for the former it is most natural to treat creation of a vision as an end in itself and for Ti/Ne analysis as an end in itself.
    Thanks for that.

MBTI
    INTP

InaF3157 and Zil- hit the nail on the head- recently, I've been thinking about what the two of you just said. 1) the part about the need to externalize my ideas/thoughts; 2) questioning what percentage, if you will, of me is actually 'E;' 3) my ability to bring unlikely friends together through shared interests (e.g. beer), just knowing me, and/or (often times!) humor; and 4) the constant battle against my pessimistic view of humanity, not letting it overtake me (the view, not the humanity). This ramble probably isn't very coherent at this hour, but yeah, good to know there are other NTPs out there questioning/analyzing their E/I.

If you're equally extroverted and introverted it's not surprising.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

My functions match up almost better with ENTP than INTP, yet I always rank rather solidly introverted on other tests. I think my underlying thought processes and behaviors resemble ENTP, but I'm merely a bit meek, reserved, and exhausted by extroverted situations. I would love to consider myself as silly as an ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    So uh, what happens when your Ti and Ne are equal? Not being smart.. those are my results.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You're fortunate. Not even moms are protected by a mere bathroom door,usually.
    My mother would leave the lights out and never completely close the door. Even after dozens of "incidents".

It got so I had to approach the bathroom like a ninja -- case it out to see if it was empty.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    My functions match up almost better with ENTP than INTP, yet I always rank rather solidly introverted on other tests. I think my underlying thought processes and behaviors resemble ENTP, but I'm merely a bit meek, reserved, and exhausted by extroverted situations. I would love to consider myself as silly as an ENTP

So uh, what happens when your Ti and Ne are equal? Not being smart.. those are my results.
    Your type ultimately has to do with preference rather than ability. One noticable distinction I see between INTP and ENTP is that INTP's like to develop ideas while ENTP's like to develop projects. Which would you rather do? Publish a book explaining a great new theory you developed, or would you rather really make an impact with some new invention or business or other project you've developed?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com