• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] What is this fun you speak of?

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
INTP's, or NT's, or anyone I suppose -- I'm very drunk --: how does one overcome their inherent propensity for observation, to just have fun, without inhibitions, to just have fun...should I get more SP acquaintances.

My query is primarily directed at the developed (?) INTP's of the board, however, others are welcome to share their thoughts and experiences.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If you're very drunk, you're already halfway there! :yes:

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
Coffee combined with video games, books, or movies does it for me. Observation has never kept me from having fun. The only things that consistently keep me from having fun are perfectionism and impatience.

nzAShadow

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
INTP's, or NT's, or anyone I suppose -- I'm very drunk --: how does one overcome their inherent propensity for observation, to just have fun, without inhibitions, to just have fun...should I get more SP acquaintances.

My query is primarily directed at the developed (?) INTP's of the board, however, others are welcome to share their thoughts and experiences.

I'm still trying to figure this one out.

What I do have fun doing is playing games I'm good at, with friends who are also good. If a participant is not any good, then the whole fun is ruined.

Flirting is fun, and having ESxP friends helps with having fun, they help you get passed the observation and just doing.

If these conditions are not met, than I cannot get passed the observation to get to the enjoyment, hell, I'm probably the quietest drunk you'll ever meet, and even quieter high.

Oh... adderall helps as well, everything is fun during an amphetamine high.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Well, fun it just psychological relief. Depends on if you need it or not. Everyone needs some, but you don't need to base your life around it.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
You overcome by doing it. I think you pretty much know what sort of fun you're interested in...it's a matter of finding out it's something you really like. Unless you're just drinking because you're really bummed.

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm speaking more with regards to experiential 'fun', but when ever I'm around other people, in social situations, I get bored extremely quickly, unless I sit back and people watch (or use chemical intoxicants ;)). I'm capable of having fun by myself, or with myself;), through reading, music, writing etc., but the foundations of my Ivory Tower are slowly crumbling, and the recognition that I need to engage more is at the forefront of my mind; but how does one do this, I find myself internally repulsed when socializing with others -- though to clarify, not by the people --, and this is not a result of debilitating shyness (it usually doesn't effect the face I project to the world, hooray for us INTP chameleons), but just sheer boredom.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Whoops. Well to a certain extent you might not be able to feel fun in a in-the-moment way like some other people...you're already showing boredom in certain social things. There are a bunch of times where I socialize just great but don't remember any of the conversation later. I guess you can't expect yourself to derive fun from social things...if it's any help, what I usually do is, I talk more to people who are interesting to me for whatever reason: intellect, personality, they do something neat like breakdance or basketweave. I have fun when I'm curious. My mind is also staying active when I'm trying (not straining, though) to come up with things to say, based off of what's being said in the conversation. I immerse myself socially in a way that suits me. And another thing, you're bound to get bored if you remember what you're thinking. In other words...don't think about what you're thinking. If you've gotta think...think about what's going on...if you're in the middle of a conversation, if there's one you should jump into...

However, if you can find a way to watch a movie without internal interruption then please tell me. I love to watch movies, but I have a problem with drifting in thought while watching, especially if I'm ALONE or in a bad mood.

Hope I gave what you were looking for!

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
Whoops. Well to a certain extent you might not be able to feel fun in a in-the-moment way like some other people...you're already showing boredom in certain social things. There are a bunch of times where I socialize just great but don't remember any of the conversation later. I guess you can't expect yourself to derive fun from social things...if it's any help, what I usually do is, I talk more to people who are interesting to me for whatever reason: intellect, personality, they do something neat like breakdance or basketweave. I have fun when I'm curious. My mind is also staying active when I'm trying (not straining, though) to come up with things to say, based off of what's being said in the conversation. I immerse myself socially in a way that suits me. And another thing, you're bound to get bored if you remember what you're thinking. In other words...don't think about what you're thinking. If you've gotta think...think about what's going on...if you're in the middle of a conversation, if there's one you should jump into...

However, if you can find a way to watch a movie without internal interruption then please tell me. I love to watch movies, but I have a problem with drifting in thought while watching, especially if I'm ALONE or in a bad mood.

Hope I gave what you were looking for!

I see what your saying; my problem is essentially one of over-analyzing -- not least of which my tendency to over-analyze :doh: -- and trying the losing oneself in the moment, or conversation, approach, though difficult, may be useful -- easier said then done. As for watching movies, I suppose intellectual multi-tasking is the best advice I can offer, smoking pot helps for me -- I get hyper-attentive --, so if your that way inclined). Though I

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hmm. Find more like minded people and enjoy humour and fun based upon your preference for observation.

So, a few INTPs, a street cafe, a cold beer or two, and watch people going past. That'd work.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Being asked to never come back to a Passion Party. True story. Much fun.