User Tag List

123 Last

Default asking for a raise from an intj boss... tips appreciated!

I work in a medical lab with, I'm pretty sure, an INTJ boss. It's been really beneficial for me-- I've gotten to collaborate on a ton of publications and have made new business contacts and friends. I'm an INFj, so I enjoy taking care of the social aspects of the lab. I like him and would apply to work in my lab as a student if my background were in that discipline, which I'm not.

We might land a grant and then there might be some extra money and I could ask for a raise.

The only problem is I basically make just a little bit too much to be on food stamps, so I'm totally nervous about jeopardizing even that by asking. I don't know how to ask.

I suspect the minimum degree of competence for my job is very low but I'm not doing the bare minumum, I do much, much, much more. I'm a very helpful person. I can't even take 1 single vacation day because we move at a fast pace. I consider this good!!! Like I'm in demand and making a difference. As an INFJ, this matters to me even if it doesn't translate into money.

Production wise I would say I work every hour of the day, taking no lunch break, and produce a lot. I was a 4.0 student at an Ivy league college and I work harder than I did then now. I don't want to brag or anything, just speaking out loud and trying to understand how to go about this.

Again my boss is an INTJ. Other relevant information-- I may ask him for a letter for grad school so I can get a master's at my job.

Ok so... how do I go about asking for a raise?

Other relevant information... I'm 8 months into my job. I make 28K, enough to share a studio apartment with one other person in my area.

Sorry if this sounds hopefully naive! It's been a rough couple years on the market, I don't have this skill. I wish I could just be bold!!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

How proficient are you at the job now, relative to at start of the job?

After having worked to a level of becoming proficient at doing the job, having started at a level of coming in not being skilled at the job at all, I'd ask him to double it.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

WALMART

Yes, it's a fun place to be in.

I believe being direct is a key factor. I would select two or three things you know you do well that may warrant an increased pay raise, and then formulate a relatively brief spiel on why he should give it to you. Again, make sure you explicitly state you are coming to him to request a pay raise. I've worked since I was 16 and have received several pay raises, and I have been in a position to administer them.

It's hard for an employer to say no if there's reason to warrant it. If he does say no though, don't think that equates to 'I'm never making more money'. Find out, if you are tenacious enough, when raises are typically given at the workplace, and ensure him you will be working to achieve that.

Thanks for the feedback-- I'm way too in my head about this. Like, I'm freelancing all weekend to earn money. But then, I'm thinking, "I'm so much better off than a grad student, because it's less pressure." And, "This is so much better than being on the street!"

I want to stay on because the training is good but at the same time I want to make sure I'm not lowballing myself.

As a feeler I trust my instincts-- I think I could ask well and not insultingly for more $$$$-- but I have had a long way to come in terms of putting down boundaries at work. Or saying, "I WANT MORE."

I don't really have that entrepreneurial/office politics instinct. I look at people who will push each other in business, or gun for a raise and still maintain friendly relationships and find that so weird. Most of the time I feel like "OMG, you need help? Let me help you!! Sorry I need some money to live too. Can you give me some? Is that ok? Ok thanks!! Sorry!!"

I have improved a lot in relationships (I know, cool story.... well it's kind of related!!).... from the point of having low expectations of partners to having really good boundaries. But that took a lot of practice.

I'm hoping to develop better boundaries about "what I want" at work too. Part of being an adult.

Anyhow don't know if that makes sense... that's the gist of it.

WALMART

Lol, NF?

I'd presumed you weren't much into conflict, hence your apprehension of potential conflicting situation. It is indeed all your head. I enjoy thinking of the factor that women make 20% less than men initially on the job, simply because they do not negotiate their pay.

ALL finances are negotiable.

Also, I'm drunk.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

From my own Intj:

'I make sure I finish everything and then some, so my boss is in a good mood and happy with me to then walk in and calmly point out the work I've done so far in order to then proceed to negotiations for a raise.

Context: This was said during a convo about how one of his ENFP employees botched up his request for a raise,
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lostlanguage View Post
    Again my boss is an INTJ. Other relevant information-- I may ask him for a letter for grad school so I can get a master's at my job.

Ok so... how do I go about asking for a raise?

Other relevant information... I'm 8 months into my job. I make 28K, enough to share a studio apartment with one other person in my area.

Sorry if this sounds hopefully naive! It's been a rough couple years on the market, I don't have this skill. I wish I could just be bold!!
    Do your homework, and prepare your case. Do you know what the average first-year salary is for people doing your kind of work in your geographic area? Professional societies often keep these kinds of data. I negotiated a 50% raise once based primarily on this info; I had accepted a lowball starting offer for some specific reasons, and needed to bring it up after my first year. Then make a list comparing what you were hired to do (what you did in your first 4-6 weeks) with what you do now. The first question establishes a baseline, the second shows how much more productive you have become. Your case for getting a raise then will rest on a combination of correcting your baseline (if your starting salary was lower than average), and increasing your compensation for increased work.

Whatever you do, if your request is denied, don't take it personally. As someone suggested, ask what the protocols are in your lab for raises/promotions, so you can make your case again sometime in a more appropriate manner/time.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

As the last two posters said.
    Remember:

Te is about TANGIBLE results and work. Even if the results suck it's still better than thinking in your head and not have observable results. Your Ti perfection doesn't mean anything to him. SHOW tangible results that can be measured and touched and seen. Make a list in writing if you are afraid you won't pull it off in a convo - this is what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by lostlanguage View Post
    I do much, much, much more. I'm a very helpful person. I can't even take 1 single vacation day because we move at a fast pace. I consider this good!!!
    This is Fe. Most INTJs have nothing but contempt for it (even if they value the results of Fe they don't like the process). It sounds like whining. The Fe game of "I did this for you and now I deserve/you should do this for me". AVOID IT.

Keep it factual. Leave the emotions for your friends. Your INTJ boss is NOT your friend.

Don't take it personal. He might think you deserve it but the moment might not be right. Or there is no money. Or he thinks he can get away with not paying you and you won't leave (most common scenario). For him this is nothing personal - just business. Why pay you when he doesn't have to. Do NOT take it personal.

Keep your stated desire active and try next month. And again. And again. Pummel through.

There is no Fe relationship with a TJ you can destroy. Don't assume they'll care about you just because you can sense their Fi.

Pummel through.

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post

This is Fe. Most INTJs have nothing but contempt for it (even if they value the results of Fe they don't like the process). The Fe game of "I did this for you and now I deserve/you should do this for me". AVOID IT.
    I don't think it's quite correct to have contempt for the idea, "I did this for you and now I deserve this." This is the actual basis of the labor system in the economy. I find Fe quite realistic in that sense.

Sorry! I know there's a TON else to respond to... am mulling it over.

Anyone have a suggestion for a script?

Do I pop into the office and mention it offhand?

Do I ask for a meeting? (This is NEVER done).

Do I make a joke about it and see how it goes?

Do I make it part of a larger discussion?-- Aka ask for the letter and the raise at the same time?

There is no Fe relationship with a TJ you can destroy. Don't assume they'll care about you just because you can sense their Fi.

Also, is this true? Part of the reason I'm asking this on typology central is that I find a lot of camaraderie in the day to day work with my boss, and we've had good times so far. I enjoy just our random chats. I would feel rather disappointed to find that ultimately my contribution doesn't matter, or matters less because I'm perceived as a "Fe"-type, or emotional, or a pushover.