User Tag List

123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

Default Does anti-intellectualism annoy you?

No one actually reads news articles anymore, they just scan the headline and form all their opinions based on that. I'm tired of no one actually reading and being so ADD about everything. I have people tell me all the time that they don't care to learn or that they've learned enough. The latter is particularly common in older folks. What has made people this way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Oh, ADD, or maybe just not caring isn't anti intellectualism. Anti intellectualism is when you look down at other people for reading the articles.

Yeah, I really don't like it when people purposefully avoid learning because it's learning. But I also don't like people who look down at me for having interests different from their own.

MBTI
    INTP

I think people are bogged down these days by too much mind-numbing specialization
    at work and school, and on the other end of that candle, the eschewing of liberal
    arts by employers has led the rest of society to not appreciate anything deeper or more
    nuanced/complex/interesting than where to click the goddamn mouse.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    xxx

I don't think it's ever been any different. If you brought endless knowledge to people in, say, the middle ages they would not every man and woman run to gobble it all up. Most people wouldn't really care while some would care a great deal. This is actually very applicable to Type. Some types like to gather knowledge, some less and some essentially none that isn't highly applicable to their lives.

It's possible your observations are a bit of a Red Herring. We now live in a society of highly available information that is beginning to expect us to be more informed. Most people are continuing to be uninterested and only now is that uninterest apparent. I suspect is has always been as it is with most people in this regard. Just two generations ago people were profoundly uninformed and were generally not expected to be any other way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Is it anti-intellectualism when I advocate that people stop trying to put experiences and emotions and their relationship with their environment into taxonomies and to just feel things? To experience things fully and try to feel instead of holding their experiences down by the neck and examining it for every little detail?
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

People do what they're rewarded for. Not many are rewarded for "wasting time" doing "useless" things.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned

Not even the epsilons?

Ginkgo

No. Any claim depends on the intellect. I rest assured.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I remember reading an article that distinguished between a few different kinds of anti-intellectualism that critics tend to lump together. I think the one you're referring to in the OP was called "thalamic anti-intellectualism," which is just an instinctive aversion to intellectual discourse of any kind (due to some sense of insecurity about it, or inferiority.) There are other kinds, though, which are not so unsympathetic sounding (like, one was an anti-clerical variety which is basically an anti-Walter-Lippmann-esque-technocratic-nightmare kind, and I can certainly sympathize with that.) Maybe I'll find the article later.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    People do what they're rewarded for. Not many are rewarded for "wasting time" doing "useless" things.
    or forsee a reward. some rewards are intrinsic, others material and all in between. people can't see the value in a news article or book, but may know more about plumbing pipes than you could learn from a printed page.
    Oh, its
    You