User Tag List

First 123

Definitely annoying.... this question is so timely with the U.S. elections coming up. Anti-intellectualism in politics totally bothers me.

Another thing that really bothers me is when people think being aggressive/criticizing others means being an "expert" and that this trumps knowledge.

Finally for academic stuff, I used to worry I wasn't a real intellectual because half of the stuff people talked about in articles just annoyed me.

But I think you can be skeptical and independent and not in love with every intellectual idea but not against intellectualism. That's what the mind is for anyhow...

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I suspect it has always been this way and the older generation feels like they know much based on experience, while newer generations are overwhelmed with more information via technology updates than they can keep up with. I do not know if it is so much anti-intellectualism as the basic truth that there will always be more information available than one individual can process.
    I think this is it, especially the bolded part.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Well they're not really going to learn much just from reading news articles. In fact you may get more stupid.

I'm not a fan of anti-intellectualism nor am I a fan of the worship of academic elites.
    Sometimes the more you read, the more confusing it can get, especially when articles keep contradicting each other. If you're not very well versed in that subject, it may not always be easy to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Academic elites really bother me too. Even moreso than anti-intellectuals.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Hah, I didn't think it was that harsh.. but this and my reps say otherwise. And.. I wasn't drunk, if I was different, maybe it's because I was sober.
    I should have typed "when I said you were drunk or something" sorry dude, I'm not sure whether it was harsh or not just blundered in mid thread.

I've been sick and feverish a lot of the time when I've been posting.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

anti-intellectualism as a universal position is equivalent to closing your eyes, covering your ears, and singing "LA LA LA" as loud as possible. Not a good idea.

In certain contexts, if people want to revel in stupidity, that's their choice and it might be fun for them, but in contexts where the problems are serious, complex, and it requires extra effort to get accurate information, then if we aren't smart, we will destroy ourselves.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

WhoCares

Meh! Its just people. I'm more interested in what I'm doing with my brain than what other people are doing. If intellectualism is in decline (I doubt it) then its only a mtter of time before I'm the smartest one in the room...

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, it is very annoying!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I think anti-intellectualism is intellectualism in disguise since it is acting against what most people consider to be smart behavior which is basically just to act mature and do what everyone else is doing, this being contrary to the very nature of improvement and innovation so no it does not annoy me as I consider anti-intellectualism to be intelligent behavior.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I hate stupidity, there's so many stupid people.