User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arkigos View Post
    I think the real villain in the history of Christianity is that we still teach and quote from the Old Testament. The Old Testament says "stone the sinner", Christ said "who are you to judge anyone? Instead, love them." Yet most Christians speak of loving the sinner while they throw the stone. Is that Christ's fault? I cannot begin to comprehend why we still talk about the Ten Commandments when Christ specifically rejected them... on several occasions. There are two commandments only, he said: Love God, Love each other. Everything else falls in place from that. When is the last time you heard a Christian in the public view say something like that? Christ was a total NF hippie and what he taught was beyond progressive at the time.
    Alas there are many villains in the history of Christianity. Yes, co-opting the OT is one. Those who omitted from the NT early writings about Jesus that did not agree with their politics and empire building are another. Seems to me someone who really wants to follow Jesus would want to learn all he/she can about him, and not just what some folks back in the 3rd or 4th century thought they should. Finally, anyone who insists on literal interpretation of the Bible. Its greatest truths are figurative, and that is not a belittlement.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Alas there are many villains in the history of Christianity. Yes, co-opting the OT is one. Those who omitted from the NT early writings about Jesus that did not agree with their politics and empire building are another. Seems to me someone who really wants to follow Jesus would want to learn all he/she can about him, and not just what some folks back in the 3rd or 4th century thought they should. Finally, anyone who insists on literal interpretation of the Bible. Its greatest truths are figurative, and that is not a belittlement.
    I agree. I think people throw the baby out with the bathwater in their rejection of the Bible. Jesus was like Gandhi but more badass and with MAGIC! I mean.... c'mon! He is a HUGE moral/philosophical influence for me - dogma completely aside.

arkigos = {
    mbti_type: INTP,
    cog_funcs: INTP.get_cog_funcs(),
    political_slogan: 'The INTP .... who cares!',
    influences: ['Socrates', 'Jesus', 'Descartes', 'John Stuart Mill', 'Kurt Cobain'],
    interests: ['History', 'Programming', 'Philosophy', 'Typing', 'Advocacy of the Devil'],
    alignment: neutral_good,
    }

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arkigos View Post
    I think the real villain in the history of Christianity is that we still teach and quote from the Old Testament. The Old Testament says "stone the sinner", Christ said "who are you to judge anyone? Instead, love them." Yet most Christians speak of loving the sinner while they throw the stone. Is that Christ's fault? I cannot begin to comprehend why we still talk about the Ten Commandments when Christ specifically rejected them... on several occasions. There are two commandments only, he said: Love God, Love each other. Everything else falls in place from that. When is the last time you heard a Christian in the public view say something like that? Christ was a total NF hippie and what he taught was beyond progressive at the time.
    Though I agree with you on all other points, I have to disagree on Christ being a "NF hippie". I see Christ as a peace-maker, not as a pacifist. The difference is this: the peace-maker, though he likes peace, will not have it at all costs--oppression, slavery and warmongers are things he will fight against to have peace and freedom--while the pacifist will have peace no matter what, even if that means compromising too much. One must try to be as agreeable as possible, but if the demands are too high--and morally wrong--he must no longer step back, but forward and break the oppressor's feet (not literally of course); that is the nature of the peace-maker. The pacifist will keep stepping back for the sake of 'peace'--something which is not really peace, but the absence of violence. Think of what Jesus did in the temple in Jerusalem: "13 The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there. 15 And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. 16 And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; do not make my Father's house a house of trade.” (John 2:13-16) The pacifist, on the other hand, would have tried pleading with them to stop; if they wouldn't--well--that's that, there's nothing to be done here. There are some other examples I could think of, but this should do for now.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I would also like to throw Paul out of the NT for the reason Arkigos mentioned earlier. His only important role was to help the spread of Christianity; other than that, I think he's got Jesus wrong--whether on purpose or not, I'm not sure about.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer