User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Do NTs care about anything outside of logic?

NTs are always saying how such and such is illogical, I just wonder if NTs embrace anything that can't be explained by logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTP

Logic is what we understand and trust the most. But there are lots of things that I value outside of the purely logical. There are things that I believe that are faith-based, for instance. And love is certainly not a function of pure logic.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Food's nice, but I suppose it's logical to like food.

explain this logically:

MBTI
    INFP

Love?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I enjoy art which I see as a non-thinking activity. Since logic is a thinking activity, I guess, logically speaking, it's a-logical. (Snap!)

The better question is, as I see it, whether an NT is willing to accept propositions or ideas that are illogical (not just a-logical). That's going to be a lot trickier. I can't say I have. I can respect some propositions that are illogical or paradoxical (Zen is filled with them, so's Hinduism; all mystical traditions, I'd bet) but deep down I think there's some order lurking. That's not the same as LOGIC (which I think is really an issue of consistency in thought and observation) but it's not illogical, either.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Love?
    Do you really think love's illogical?

Hm. Actually. This is going to run into a matter of semantics (Kiddo's favorite). Is logic a THOUGHT process, or is logic some greater order in the universe that we just tap into? If logic is a thought process, then love is somewhat logical, but mostly emotional, I'd agree. But is logic is some universal order, then love is very logical and understandable as some evolutionary mechanism to promote continuity. But that definition of logic, methinks, is too broad and really would encompass everything in the universe which run along the lines of cause and effect. Wah.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    NTs are always saying how such and such is illogical, I just wonder if NTs embrace anything that can't be explained by logic.
    An NT would have to be very one dimensional to only use that facet. Remember, NT is just a preference, so many NT's will enjoy stimulating their sensory side with a pleasant scent, or music. Or will love their children or training their pets.

In short, people are too multi dimensional to treat as having only one face and functional aspect.

MBTI
    OMNi

Talluah, Dana, and Geoff can you expand on how love is not a function of logic?

Nozflubber, I don't know many NTs who are into fashion.

Edahn, art is the product of human creativity. Are you suggesting that creativity isn't logical?

Geoff, you just provided a logical explanation for why NTs would enjoy sensations. How does that explain why NTs would accept something that isn't logical? Are you saying that stimulation isn't logical?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

From my observations:

When an NT says they can't accept something, they mean their reason can't accept it. They may well value something even if they insist it isn't logical. Because they have a strong desire to keep what they value separate from their sense of what is true, so that their sense of what is true doesn't become "polluted" too much by their own values. In other words, they have values, they just don't totally trust them the way they do their reason.

I think you could say that they naturally tend to focus on logic rather than the other things they care about, although they may well care about other things.

Note this is just a guess based on my observations, and it may be completely wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I enjoy faith.