User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Eye contact from others is interpreted different ways by different people. For some, eye contact means you are listening to them; for others, it's weird. I rarely bother making eye contact, but when I do, it means I want you to attend closely to some serious matter.
    I expect more from an INTP. You claim that eye contact is interpreted in different ways by different people, but you only give one example of how it can be interpreted: "For some, eye contact means you are listening to them". The second "example" is so vague that it could mean anything. What do you mean by your "eye contact is weird" statement? If you're too lazy to give a second example, why give any at all? Why not say "For some, eye contact is not weird; for others, it's weird"? I suspect you are actually an INFP, which would make sense considering your Enneagram type.

Sincerely,
    Leger
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I do. I noticed the other night when I saw some friends I was meeting up with across the parking lot. I waved to them and then averted my eyes until we were close enough to speak. When I talk to people I'll either look up or look at my hands while I'm gesturing. When I listen I'll look down and lean in. When I do catch people's eye I feel like I'm being offensive. If I try to do It It feels like I'm intruding on them. Plus it's sort of difficult to look at both eyes. Really you have to look someone in one of their eyes.

Do you have the same experience or a different one?

How do you feel when someone doesn't make eye contact with you?
    I do not have trouble making eye contact. Eye contact is a useful tool for commanding attention while speaking and showing interest when others are speaking. It can be used to show romantic interest, boredom, aggression, fear. It's usefulness has deteriorated as newer generations run away from face-to-face interactions and into the arms of new communication technology. When I speak to a young savage I see very little of their eyes, they cannot hold a conversation on any significant topic without the use of an electronic medium, they fidget, get nervous, stumble, run away. I hope one day that all electronic devices will cease to operate for a period of weeks so that I can take a walk outside on an open, rural road and watch young people, startled by the sight of a human, scurry off into the woods. I'll take my bright orange hat off and look through a scope, hoping to make a special kind of long-distance eye contact. There will be feasts.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I have trouble with eye contact, but not in the way you might think. People think I'm implying things when I maintain eye contact, so I often don't; I mean, waiters think I want attention, men think I'm trying to provoke them (at a bar or on the street, for instance), women think I'm interested in them...so I tend to glance and look away, then look again later, if looking was my agenda and had a purpose to me.
    But I've always done this 'scanning the room' thing. I don't know if it's a constant looking out for possible danger (because of some bad experiences, like mugging and being beat up in college) or that I want to make contact with others in a positive way. It's just a habit I have.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

I usually don't have trouble making eye contact.... but I went to a concert on Sunday and was VERY close to the stage, and I noticed the whole night, I didn't want to look at the singers' faces because I felt very awesome when they looked at me while singing. It was strange

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I expect more from an INTP. You claim that eye contact is interpreted in different ways by different people, but you only give one example of how it can be interpreted: "For some, eye contact means you are listening to them". The second "example" is so vague that it could mean anything. What do you mean by your "eye contact is weird" statement? If you're too lazy to give a second example, why give any at all? Why not say "For some, eye contact is not weird; for others, it's weird"? I suspect you are actually an INFP, which would make sense considering your Enneagram type.

Sincerely,
    Leger
    You were right the first time. I'm lazy.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned

Do you have the same experience or a different one?
    I used to avoid making eye contact with other people, I never gave it much thought until I had it pointed out to me. I changed it over a period of time, my experience with habits is that they tend to change gradually if not enough force of will is put in place to back it up. Now a days I have no problem gazing into peoples eyes, if anything they add lanes of communication between two people. I still find myself disliking the sense of intimacy that eye contact bring, but it's a small price to pay.

When disregarding culture, state of health and emotional predisposition. I size people up that avoid eye contact as being dismissive or having low self confidence depending on their body language as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    You were right the first time. I'm lazy.
    you were supposed to argue with me.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I dont feel anything different in that situation, i think. What i think is trying to figure out the reasons why this person avoids eye contact, which usually is shyness.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

Eye contact to me tells me someone is interested or emotionally invested.

I'm not Trunks

If I'm busy into something yes, I can stare for a very long time into things and people too..