• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Can somebody -please- explain dominant Ne to me?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes someone can explain, and you'll get explanation upon explanation upon explanation..... whether Ne is actually explainable or not though is somewhat debateable :newwink:

But that's okay, you get answer after question after experience after more questions and it weaves into a great web of its potential. Or something like that.

Someone told me the secret of dominant Ne yesterday. It was funny, because afterwards, I understood why I could never put words to it.

Think of reality as a waveform. You have crests and you have troughs. Where it crests, you have matter and material things. Where it troughs, you have emptiness. In both the crests and the troughs you have existence, for the emptiness is defined by a lack of matter, but the matter only has meaning in that it is not empty.

Sensing focuses its perception on matter and energy. It orients toward the crests of existence.
Intuition focuses its perception on emptiness and space. It orients toward the troughs of existence.

Extraverted intuition particularly focuses on the near-limitless emptiness throughout our external world. As a dominant function, it embraces this emptiness as the source of pure potential. Imagination and abstraction provide means of filling the emptiness and harnessing the power of creation. The drive is to take what is on the crests and fill the troughs with enough so that there is balance and harmony in the universe.

That's the secret he told me. Se focuses on what's there. Ne focuses on what's not there.

This is actually pretty darn good.

Also that greenlightwiki is pretty awesome at having multiple encompassing definitions with universal accuracy.

Hyacinth

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dominant Ne is characterized by brainstorming and a focus on "what ifs"... basically, never being satisfied with what's immediately visible but always striving for new possibilities.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tihnk it aslo has to do wtih itnerpertaiton of cencotps lkie in tihs exmalpe of reraregnemnet of letrtes wilhe laevnig the frist and lsat the smae sitll alolws msot to gasrp its maennig

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a good analogy

Except everyone can do that right... Or maybe that's what you're saying.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I don't think the functions are as exclusive as we like to imagine.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's just like being a sponge for lots of stuff and having multiple threads going at once in your brain. The spider web analogy always worked fine for me. Some of the descriptions here don't resonate very well at all, I've got Fi though, it's just like this unconscious stream of info and the judgement for me tends to be "good or bad" instead of real in depth thought about it.

Permabanned
Vanilla icecream brings in the color pink, but pink brings in unicorns, and unicorns bring in the wildbeasts, and wildbeasts bring in the monsters and criters of the devil, and then it all turns red and hellish, with red hot fiery landscapes consumed by engulfing flames and the view fades out like the zoom in google earth, as depicted in the final scene of MIB, until yo realize life is just one big game of marbles, and chocklit doesn't substitute the raw ingredients needed for a balanced existence, hence perks are just an alluring trap for prospective job seekers, even if you were just temporarily entertaining the idea of answering a thread on typology. :nerd:

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
I'll find interesting and pick up on all sorts of bits of information. Ne can appear worldly without any sort of depth if not recognize for its desire for novel ideas of the possibility to make oneself and the world better.

seradane

MBTI Type
INFJ
I always found this video, of Robin Williams explaining (demonstrating?) how his brain works as a particularly fascinating insight into (a frankly, superhyperactive) Ne. (Particularly about 3:00 onwards.) He takes a single object, and you can just about see how his mind goes, "Ooh, well this could be like this. Or this. Or what about this!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2Iv-kbc68

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But seriously, an explanation? That's where the definition of it tends to get messed up into something simply like randomness, creativity, or tangents, which then gets confused and misinterpreted as mere universal high-functioning thought-process. If you want to understand what dominant Ne is, you need to either read Jung, or Lewis Carroll :D If you really need an explanation, Nardi is probably as close as you're going to get with that, and his studies that are starting to explain dominant Ne as a result of an inclination to use "christmas-tree" transcontextualism to think about nearly everything.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always found this video, of Robin Williams explaining (demonstrating?) how his brain works as a particularly fascinating insight into (a frankly, superhyperactive) Ne. (Particularly about 3:00 onwards.) He takes a single object, and you can just about see how his mind goes, "Ooh, well this could be like this. Or this. Or what about this!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2Iv-kbc68

This is fantastic! Haha :laugh:
He is sooo cool...

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ahahahah! what's there to explain? you just have your brain build like a web, anything you see or someone says will bring up a connection, will bring up another, like a web.....everything is connected, you see the big picture, the puzzle. it's like a wikipedia article, of sorts. this is why i love mbti, i find it fascinating that someone can find intriguing something that for me is so boring/obvious? :D

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the way i understand it is that it is a kind of story intelligence. i like Ne doms, and 7s in particular, because they can create space in all processes. it's calming, and also kind of beautiful. they are the masters of space, of relations between places (including the virtual ones, the transitory ones that only emerge in transit between the past and the future). they aggregate event sequences in space--rather than seeing things as definitive things, they see them as shapes with latent potentials, kind of fuzzy event possibilities--and they can flow with aspects of those potentials and search for story lines given those, rather than the domain-specific things, that will in turn connect the space around them together in novel ways. kind of whitmanesque, just kind of subsuming the ideas of material bodies in motion, analogous ways of experiencing, noticing changes and wrinkles that appear in the experience and using those to create new areas of experience, zooming into a new field of awareness. i imagine that the "big picture" that Ne doms talk about is the sense of the process that is unfolding that is coming into focus, the strands of relativity and movement in different time scales all co-existing (albeit with the limits of short-term memory imposing constraints on attention, as we see when we talk to you!). the feeling of getting out ahead of time and having a kind of visual simulation for how it will happen as the storylines inform each other in advance, in the ongoing awareness that either identifies with the forces that push against each other (the kind of materiality of the Ti vectors creating the particular shapes) or the experience of the internal worlds, the qualitative lifeworlds that go beyond the skin that one should respect and grant their right to define with their own rules (Fi).

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i imagine that the "big picture" that Ne doms talk about is the sense of the process that is unfolding that is coming into focus, the strands of relativity and movement in different time scales all co-existing (albeit with the limits of short-term memory imposing constraints on attention, as we see when we talk to you!).

:laugh: It's got to do with our headspace as you have so eloquently described it... we have everything going on in there at once... so to jump from topic to topic... is to stay on topic. Nothing is out of bounds because everything is connected. You're not leaving an idea behind, you're just looking at it through a different lens, from a different place. I think most of my mind operates out of the bounds of time. I don't really have time awareness unless I'm explicitly working on a project and am probably engaging a good amount of Te. Otherwise everything runs together.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:laugh: It's got to do with our headspace as you have so eloquently described it... we have everything going on in there at once... so to jump from topic to topic... is to stay on topic. Nothing is out of bounds because everything is connected. You're not leaving an idea behind, you're just looking at it through a different lens, from a different place. I think most of my mind operates out of the bounds of time. I don't really have time awareness unless I'm explicitly working on a project and am probably engaging a good amount of Te. Otherwise everything runs together.

i follow what you're saying. the shift in place is really valuable to me, and why connecting with Ne doms is so untangling. in general, it's a bit easier for me to see the process with my entp 7w6 friends because of the judgment transparency, but most of the time, when Ne doms preface, "this is maybe a change of subject, but i swear it's kind of connected," within the first two sentences i usually see and smile and am happy with the way they are refiguring and revoicing the melody (with that right-brained prosody). so i don't actually find Ne doms to jump around too much at all. on the contrary, it feels like home to me. for Ni doms, to be in a space, to be engaged with someone who is a master of space, helps us feel part of the flow, the currents that meet and move forward, outward from the moment.

similarly, i think, that sense of FLOW is really the biggest thing that marks self-mastery for Ne doms, a way of being with time, movement, and change of perspective in a continuous stream of possibility. finding a balance, especially for head types, of the explosion of enthusiasm and mental sprinting, which is really endearing and also intoxicating, and being able to stay with the process enough, stay close enough to the ground and go slowly enough (distancewise) to really be present, is the kind of game that takes practice. the prize is an ability to accept and stay with experience and create space for appreciation and enjoyment that optimizes, in a non-invasive way, the processes going on everywhere around and through it, in a way that balances freedom (possibilities!) and responsibility (actuality/consequences/inheritance of the past, a way of honoring that and trying to do your best, your part, regardless).

as for keeping time, i've been thinking about this a lot, because i have so much work to do in this area. socionics claims T has to do with materiality, whereas N has to do with time. i think creating definition/definiteness and measurable distances is necessary for keeping time straight (literally linear). it's like when you're a kid and you sketch in one continuous line or you shade in with short strokes. F might be better at feeling the dilation of time--the confluence, center, and gravity of it--rather than controlling it and taking control of the moment in order to be as efficiently constructive as possible. T brings a kind of balanced creativity, defined by specific, concrete landmarks, actually measuring the force and distance and tipping point rather than operating as much from personal mood/whimsy, a kind of imprecise holistic impressionistic time. rather than one that is exclusively being caught by the endless songs of sirens, attracted to everything, jumping from solar system to solar system without a coherent self, without anchors. T then helps offer parameters to author a self within our own defined spaces, our own boundaries we have constructed to a materially constraining degree, that helps us more precisely know and measure where we are at within our own game/story, our own project/goal structure.