• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Can somebody -please- explain dominant Ne to me?

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You will also use it to notice patterns that you havent figured out before yet. Things that make you go 'huh...why does it do that?' while everyone around you is going 'do what?? What are you on about?' Once you notice all the pieces, you'll put it together pretty fast and will recognise it instantly if it occurs again in the future. This can be applied to real life situations, but more often than not, is applied to more abstract concepts. (For instance, as an ENFP, I get accused of mindreading, when all I really do is study the behavioral patterns of a certain person, and for taht matter a certain type of person, in order to predict their mental, emotional and physical state at all times. It can result in me saying something to them that they need to hear before they were able to say so, or before they even realise that they need to hear it).

Very helpful post, thanks, and also I get called mind reader all the freaking time. I saw another thread about people having issues with finishing other people's sentences because they already know where everything is going. It's that, but it's more than that too. I feel like I catalog and integrate all that same abstract stuff about people, and then it surprises me when nobody else notices. That is not at all to say that I'm extremely observant, I tend to be on a cloud in more concrete matters. I once spoke with a girl in middle school every day for a week, cracked a joke that really offended her... something about tying shoes. And it was then that I realized that she only had one arm. So I missed the big stuff there, but I can tell you at any given time what kind of state someone is in mentally with just a glance.

I wonder if that's a result (reading people) of having grown up under a very angry person and feeling the need to constantly monitor them?? Because I am very NT that I could ever tell...

Qre:us

I once spoke with a girl in middle school every day for a week, cracked a joke that really offended her... something about tying shoes. And it was then that I realized that she only had one arm.

:laugh:

Ne =
Seeing possibilities, simultaneously, beyond the tangible. Reality having many forms - and thinking it's perfectly acceptable for it to be so. A game of "what if". Seeing the forest for the trees. Being the web and the spider at the same time. Exhausting. Exhilarating. Curiosity unleashed.

Now what one does with such an information overload, will depend on Ti or Fi.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Ne: The part of your mind which interprets the name Qre:us.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very helpful post, thanks, and also I get called mind reader all the freaking time. I saw another thread about people having issues with finishing other people's sentences because they already know where everything is going. It's that, but it's more than that too. I feel like I catalog and integrate all that same abstract stuff about people, and then it surprises me when nobody else notices. That is not at all to say that I'm extremely observant, I tend to be on a cloud in more concrete matters. I once spoke with a girl in middle school every day for a week, cracked a joke that really offended her... something about tying shoes. And it was then that I realized that she only had one arm. So I missed the big stuff there, but I can tell you at any given time what kind of state someone is in mentally with just a glance.

I wonder if that's a result (reading people) of having grown up under a very angry person and feeling the need to constantly monitor them?? Because I am very NT that I could ever tell...

ha i did something similar once...i have no idea why but i was working behind a waist height counter and when i saw a man there with his head just barely poking over it...i assumed he was being silly..so i responded in kind by crouching down and putting on a silly voice asking him how may i help you

and omfg the guy was in a freakin wheel chair! what is wrong with me!!

(have said this before at some point so sorry for repeating stories but i was a bit traumatized i tell ya!)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's rapid connection. Linking. This to this to this to this to this, expanding outwards. It's what makes your thoughts go from the color blue to quantum physics to astrology to scientology to utah to salt to the ocean to the color blue. It what makes your mind so fast and your attention so short.

This
+ seeking possibilites, exploring new things/possibilities, making new connectiona, endless and seemingly illogical brainstorming, aha-moments when the pattern is complete, quickly seeing the big picture and so on.

Permabanned
It's like google: feed it some input and it will retrieve all references to similar content e.g. an event in the outside world, a person's action/reaction, tangible objects, or ideas, that you can recall [this is where Si will assist] and all it's associations, including making suggestions to completely apparently unrelated references by making a change/replacing some object with a similar purpose/function with the new input and "retesting" if the network where it belongs to becomes more relevant to the provided input. All this will be happening simultaneously as you are perceiving the input from whichever source.

Ti/Fi [ the aux Judging function for ENTP/ENFP] will play a role in the process I just described, though, as the role of Ne is to just look at the big picture [like a zoom out in google earth] and identifying/gathering data from it, to feed the aux function to process and return what is relevant, like a feedback filtering mechanism, so Ne can look back at the big picture and reassess data based on the aux analysis input.
:nerd:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wow you win i think ^^ that's a fantastic response!

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ne loosens physical properties of things and starts to recombine them, creating things with new properties. It needs Si to help it keep grounded though, otherwise it gets out of hand.

There is demonstration of Si and Ne in picture in this article in you look at the bottom.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and to expand on that puzzle analogy....

i find that...every situation contains a puzzle...everything is being interpreted all the time

zooms in and out constantly trying to infer the whole story...of everything

i wonder if that person works a second job and that's why they're so tired all the time...he must have family back in Mexico that he supports...he must not get more than a few hours of sleep...wow...
thinks about how hard it is for other people who have moved from other countries and had to learn the language and get jobs etc...and then the people born here who can't even figure out how to do it...blah blah...
completely stuck in my head...not aware of anything else going on as I'm standing in line there...

next situation i walk into...same thing...
dude don't look at me like that with your girlfriend right there...then on and on psychoanalyzing this guy and his relationship and then her...it's fucking madness i tell you

you're all under a microscope!!

theWurdsmith

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ yes. ^^^ just yes. everything is a major puzzle. I'm not happy if there is no puzzle.

Guys, seriously thanks, this is all starting to really make sense. And okay don't judge me, but when Lady X made the man in a wheelchair anecdote, I laughed my @ss off in the lunch room. Not in a mean way, but in an OH MY GOD THAT'S ME way. I don't have foot-in-mouth syndrome, I have my-entire-body-in-mouth syndrome. I value being funny and trying to get other people to enjoy it too and then stuff like that happens. :dry:

And YES! The google thing, that is great. I was thinking in that vein on my way home from work yesterday (and my way to my other work this morning.), but in terms of wikipedia. I almost dread looking things up on Wikipedia sometimes if I know that I have to be somewhere within the next hour or two. Because by the time three hours have passed, I'll have started reading about neodymium magnets, get a third of the way down the page, wonder what a hysteresis loop is and open that in another tab, which I start to read, which then- blah blah blah, I'm sure you see where this is going. Finally at some point after I've finished with the shoelace industry, I go "oh.... oh HEY neodymium magnets, awesome! I forgot about that-" and finish that with renewed fascination. But then I can take that entire scattering of bs I just read and actually integrate it in useful ways later.

And yes on the people too!! I always do that- That woman was just a complete b***h to me but you know, what if she's on a prolonged dose of steroids and can't help it. I've been heavily medicated before on things that make me an uncontrollable douche, and you feel worse for not being able to catch it before it comes out. She must be miserable. She completely just insulted my math in front of a bunch of people (gasp) and then raised her voice at me because I misunderstood her original meaning (double gasp), but now I pity her in that she has some circumstance making her be so unreasonable. LOL.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Someone told me the secret of dominant Ne yesterday. It was funny, because afterwards, I understood why I could never put words to it.

Think of reality as a waveform. You have crests and you have troughs. Where it crests, you have matter and material things. Where it troughs, you have emptiness. In both the crests and the troughs you have existence, for the emptiness is defined by a lack of matter, but the matter only has meaning in that it is not empty.

Sensing focuses its perception on matter and energy. It orients toward the crests of existence.
Intuition focuses its perception on emptiness and space. It orients toward the troughs of existence.

Extraverted intuition particularly focuses on the near-limitless emptiness throughout our external world. As a dominant function, it embraces this emptiness as the source of pure potential. Imagination and abstraction provide means of filling the emptiness and harnessing the power of creation. The drive is to take what is on the crests and fill the troughs with enough so that there is balance and harmony in the universe.

That's the secret he told me. Se focuses on what's there. Ne focuses on what's not there.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's the function that goes "ping!"

(and then ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)

And so forth.

It is the microwave popcorn of Jung function analysis, on a more intangible level (connection level) vs Se.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Someone told me the secret of dominant Ne yesterday. It was funny, because afterwards, I understood why I could never put words to it.

Think of reality as a waveform. You have crests and you have troughs. Where it crests, you have matter and material things. Where it troughs, you have emptiness. In both the crests and the troughs you have existence, for the emptiness is defined by a lack of matter, but the matter only has meaning in that it is not empty.

Sensing focuses its perception on matter and energy. It orients toward the crests of existence.
Intuition focuses its perception on emptiness and space. It orients toward the troughs of existence.

Extraverted intuition particularly focuses on the near-limitless emptiness throughout our external world. As a dominant function, it embraces this emptiness as the source of pure potential. Imagination and abstraction provide means of filling the emptiness and harnessing the power of creation. The drive is to take what is on the crests and fill the troughs with enough so that there is balance and harmony in the universe.

That's the secret he told me. Se focuses on what's there. Ne focuses on what's not there.

Thats prolly the explanation of why I am so cool; 99% of my brain deal with emptiness 24/7 :thinking: :unsure:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is the microwave popcorn of Jung function analysis, on a more intangible level (connection level) vs Se.

I was wondering what that burnt popcorn smell was. Now I know to blame it on my gf's Ne. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was wondering what that burnt popcorn smell was. Now I know to blame it on my gf's Ne. :D

Errr...*burnt* popcorn is most likely due to your inferior Se :coffee:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ne is "abstract". Non-physical. Non-sensational. Idea form. Si is also "abstract" in a sense. And Ni. Se is the only non-abstract out of the four perception functions.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=16456]theWurdsmith[/MENTION]

The Greenlight wiki is a great resource for understanding the various functions. They have a variety of explanations of Ne that you might check out here.

Ne always ranks fairly highly on my function preferences, and I frequently typed ENTP when I was younger. I've always visualized Ne/Si in Ne-doms as something like a web. Si supplies the nodes (data) in the network, and Ne works on formulating the connections between these nodes.

ENPs that I know are fairly high bandwith--they collect large volumes of information--and use intuition to identify analogous constructs across the information that they have. So to an outside observer the connections they form may seem random, but it may be simply because that observer lacks the data to understand the parallel that's being formed.

The lateral movement across their info grid seems to be what really drives Ne/Si. They want to have as complete a picture of the "terrain" as possible, and find a great deal of joy in expanding their map through exploration and inquiry. It can be frustrating for other types dealing with Ne-doms because the mapping process is a project without any real edges to it, it's a process of collection that can potentially go on forever without conclusion or commitment. Everything leads to something else, which leads to another thing, without the necessary information of all things to be able to definitely say anything is really, well, anything. Everything is just a whirl of potentials in need of greater context.

The last observation I have of the ENP crowd is a strong bent towards perfectionism. While the Pe dominance can make them seem a bit all over the place, Ji seems to give them an inner rigidity that you have to pay attention to catch. The mapping process always seems to be with the end of finding The Ultimate, and they can be fairly uncompromising about settling for anything else. This quest for perfection couples with the need for maximum autonomy for movement across their grid to create a dynamic where they are constantly generating new possibilities while comparing old ones. I think this expand and review process creates the "pinging" effect that others in this thread have described. Ji also contributes to the "ping" effect because it causes them to observe the nuances of each data point, and want to maintain each one's integrity (as compared to JePi/PiJe which seeks optimization through more of a stripping and melding process). Ji's attention to these fine distinctions between points aids in Ne's development of novel parallels.

Anyways. That's my understanding of how ENPs function. As someone with a preference for Ni, I can say that what I appreciate the most about ENPs is that they're capable of showing you the side exit when you're too deep down the rabbit hole.

W

WALMART

[MENTION=16456]theWurdsmith[/MENTION]

The Greenlight wiki is a great resource for understanding the various functions. They have a variety of explanations of Ne that you might check out here.

Ne always ranks fairly highly on my function preferences, and I frequently typed ENTP when I was younger. I've always visualized Ne/Si in Ne-doms as something like a web. Si supplies the nodes (data) in the network, and Ne works on formulating the connections between these nodes.

That explains why I can never do anything right my first time, I feel like an infant when approached with something entirely unlike I've ever handled. All I can do is attempt to recall on things I don't have and it sends me for a loop. Interesting to have factual basis for the condition, cause I've thought about it an awful lot.

ENPs that I know are fairly high bandwith--they collect large volumes of information--and use intuition to identify analogous constructs across the information that they have. So to an outside observer the connections they form may seem random, but it may be simply because that observer lacks the data to understand the parallel that's being formed.

The lateral movement across their info grid seems to be what really drives Ne/Si. They want to have as complete a picture of the "terrain" as possible, and find a great deal of joy in expanding their map through exploration and inquiry. It can be frustrating for other types dealing with Ne-doms because the mapping process is a project without any real edges to it, it's a process of collection that can potentially go on forever without conclusion or commitment. Everything leads to something else, which leads to another thing, without the necessary information of all things to be able to definitely say anything is really, well, anything. Everything is just a whirl of potentials in need of greater context.

The last observation I have of the ENP crowd is a strong bent towards perfectionism. While the Pe dominance can make them seem a bit all over the place, Ji seems to give them an inner rigidity that you have to pay attention to catch. The mapping process always seems to be with the end of finding The Ultimate, and they can be fairly uncompromising about settling for anything else. This quest for perfection couples with the need for maximum autonomy for movement across their grid to create a dynamic where they are constantly generating new possibilities while comparing old ones. I think this expand and review process creates the "pinging" effect that others in this thread have described. Ji also contributes to the "ping" effect because it causes them to observe the nuances of each data point, and want to maintain each one's integrity (as compared to JePi/PiJe which seeks optimization through more of a stripping and melding process). Ji's attention to these fine distinctions between points aids in Ne's development of novel parallels.

Anyways. That's my understanding of how ENPs function. As someone with a preference for Ni, I can say that what I appreciate the most about ENPs is that they're capable of showing you the side exit when you're too deep down the rabbit hole.

Thread win. I feel like I could study this all day. Thanks.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

(and then ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)
(and then ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping ping)

And so forth.

Jennifer I just totally imagined you ( or the girl in your avatar) with a metal bucket on her head cling clanging her head on stuff all over the place.

Thanks for that. Haha it was quite amusing

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

(and then ping ping)

And so forth.

Jennifer I just totally imagined you ( or the girl in your avatar) with a metal bucket on her head cling clanging her head on stuff all over the place.

Thanks for that. Haha it was quite amusing