User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 56

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    An example of Ne use: me and my sister were cooking stuffed belpeppers. She placed one close to the end of the tray in the stove. We went outside, when we came back in the oven was smoking. Immediately I understood cheese flowed over the side and was burning at the bottom of the oven.
    lol, that doesn't sound like Ne at all. That's the most logical explanation, since bell peppers are unlikely to dry out enough to burn that quickly. Ne would be responsible for coming up with really out of the box explanations, not the most obvious ones.
    -end of thread-

  2. #12
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    lol, that doesn't sound like Ne at all. That's the most logical explanation, since bell peppers are unlikely to dry out enough to burn that quickly. Ne would be responsible for coming up with really out of the box explanations, not the most obvious ones.

    In this example, I don't think I was so much focused on the difficulty of the solution as I was the rapidity of the thought, the fact that I even thought about what was happening before I went over to the stove to investigate.

    It's like I saw the oven smoking, and an aha moment occurred. The aha moment is Ne, regardless of complexity.

    If you have another example of Ne use in the real world, I'd like to hear it. I'm in a very infantile stage of understanding function theory.

  3. #13
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    In this example, I don't think I was so much focused on the difficulty of the solution as I was the rapidity of the thought, the fact that I even thought about what was happening before I went over to the stove to investigate.

    It's like I saw the oven smoking, and an aha moment occurred. The aha moment is Ne, regardless of complexity.

    If you have another example of Ne use in the real world, I'd like to hear it. I'm in a very infantile stage of understanding function theory.
    I am not an Ne user and I can't tell you what was going on in your mind. I suppose if you went "oven smoking! Smoke means Fire! Fire is Yellow! Cheese is also Yellow! Aha! The cheese is smoking!", that might be Ne.

    But rapidly figuring out the most obvious explanation for something is not Ne. I'm sure you can use your Ne to think of some reasons why types that don't prefer Ne might find that concept insulting as well as inaccurate.
    -end of thread-

  4. #14
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I am not an Ne user and I can't tell you what was going on in your mind. I suppose if you went "oven smoking! Smoke means Fire! Fire is Yellow! Cheese is also Yellow! Aha! The cheese is smoking!", that might be Ne.

    I see what you're saying, but perhaps I am more focused on the underlying context of the scenario rather than the conclusive results of this one example. "Oven is smoking, sister put one belpepper close to the edge of the tray, cheese is on the bottom of the oven". Fairly in line with your example. The importance is that before I even had the mind to put whatever was smoking out I was already generating possibilities of what caused it.


    Like I said, some people are just against Ne =X It's hard to talk about Ne without sounding arrogant, I'll give it that. Everyone Ne's though, even the sensiest of sensors. Just like everyone senses, even the most intuitives of intuits.


    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    But rapidly figuring out the most obvious explanation for something is not Ne. I'm sure you can use your Ne to think of some reasons why types that don't prefer Ne might find that concept insulting as well as inaccurate.
    If it's not Ne, what function would be indicative of rapidly figuring out scenarios in your environment? Ti, perhaps, but the two go fairly hand in hand I'd imagine. Bragging isn't much my style, but I've always been a good problem solver. My father is Ne dom, coincidentally the most respected mechanic at the shop he works at. I worked with him for five years, our shop manager told me once his guess is better than most mechanic's diagnosis. If being Ne dom isn't a functional explanation of this, I don't know what would be.

  5. #15
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    If it's not Ne, what function would be indicative of rapidly figuring out scenarios in your environment? Ti, perhaps, but the two go fairly hand in hand I'd imagine. Bragging isn't much my style, but I've always been a good problem solver. My father is Ne dom, coincidentally the most respected mechanic at the shop he works at. I worked with him for five years, our shop manager told me once his guess is better than most mechanic's diagnosis. If being Ne dom isn't a functional explanation of this, I don't know what would be.
    Intake of information is Se/Ne/Si/Ni. Processing of information is Ti/Fi/Te/Fe. I'd say you need both steps to "rapidly figure out scenarios". Ne is no more "rapid" than Si/Se/Ni, it's just different. Si might be instantly like "I bet the cheese is burning, that happened to me last week", Se might be like "that smoke smells like cheese burning", Ni might be like "I think there's a connection between the smoke and excessive cheese I put on the peppers" (ok, I have no idea for Ni) and Ne might be like "smoke could come from the peppers! the oil! old bread crumbs! random socks in the oven! cheese! let's go with cheese" ....or you know, something along those line. The information you take in has a different flavour, a different focus, but it's not like Ne is better or worse at suddenly seeing solutions. That there is called intelligence, not Ne. Believe it or not, those two things aren't interchangeable.

    As far as problem solving, that's the stereotypical domain of Ti. Ne-Ti tends to head more towards abstract problems and Se-Ti tends to head more towards real-life problems, but Ti is the main player there. It's not even that Ti is necessarily better than other types at problem solving (MBTI measures preference, not ability), but more that it's drawn towards problem solving and might continue to work away at the problem after other types have gotten bored.

    And to restate the obvious, type is frequently not the best explanation for things like "being good at X". It may be part of the answer, it may be irrelevant, it may go counter to what you would predict from type.
    -end of thread-

  6. #16
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    can't explain it but i know it when it happens.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #17
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Intake of information is Se/Ne/Si/Ni. Processing of information is Ti/Fi/Te/Fe. I'd say you need both steps to "rapidly figure out scenarios". Ne is no more "rapid" than Si/Se/Ni, it's just different. Si might be instantly like "I bet the cheese is burning, that happened to me last week", Se might be like "that smoke smells like cheese burning", Ni might be like "I think there's a connection between the smoke and excessive cheese I put on the peppers" (ok, I have no idea for Ni) and Ne might be like "smoke could come from the peppers! the oil! old bread crumbs! random socks in the oven! cheese! let's go with cheese" ....or you know, something along those line. The information you take in has a different flavour, a different focus, but it's not like Ne is better or worse at suddenly seeing solutions. That there is called intelligence, not Ne. Believe it or not, those two things aren't interchangeable.

    As far as problem solving, that's the stereotypical domain of Ti. Ne-Ti tends to head more towards abstract problems and Se-Ti tends to head more towards real-life problems, but Ti is the main player there. It's not even that Ti is necessarily better than other types at problem solving (MBTI measures preference, not ability), but more that it's drawn towards problem solving and might continue to work away at the problem after other types have gotten bored.

    And to restate the obvious, type is frequently not the best explanation for things like "being good at X". It may be part of the answer, it may be irrelevant, it may go counter to what you would predict from type.

    I have a bad habit when learning to assume things are true, even if before it went against my thoughts. In this case, I agree, type is not indicative of anything. Intelligence would be.


    It's still fun to think about though! Thanks for the input, you have really cleared up some questions I had by posting all this.

  8. #18
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theWurdsmith View Post

    Also, I have a question about replying... such a noob. How (or can) you quote more than one person in a thread?
    There's a quote button with a + next to the regular quote button - click on as many of those as you want, then on the last one hit the regular quote button.
    -end of thread-

  9. #19
    Junior Member theWurdsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    It's rapid connection. Linking. This to this to this to this to this, expanding outwards. It's what makes your thoughts go from the color blue to quantum physics to astrology to scientology to utah to salt to the ocean to the color blue. It what makes your mind so fast and your attention so short.
    And I have to say that on particularly boring days, it's fun to try and backtrack where you came from. This morning, I was wondering how I'd gotten stuck thinking about unicorns, because I'm not really a unicorn kind of person. Turns out, the whole thing started with a toenail fungus commercial. Yeah. So that's Ne huh?

    Y'all have no idea how happy I have been to stumble onto this site and see that I'm not completely cracked. Well I mean I -am-, but that there are other people cracked in the same way. And that other people really enjoy analyzing this stuff to death too.

    That, and I'm usually pretty darn good at figuring out other people's types, but I want to delve more deeply into what it all potentially means about how someone works. I have a besty ISFJ, and I know that we work very well together, and I can generally tell when others are an S or a J, but I still feel like she is an alien sometimes. But now I'm getting off topic. Point: I'm going to be staring at you people through a microscope.

  10. #20
    Junior Member theWurdsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone please explain this to me?
    By NEMESlS in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  2. [Fi] My lovely, beautiful F-brethren- can you please explain Fi to me?
    By visaisahero in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
  3. Could someone explain the functions (dominant, auxilary...) to me?
    By KarenParker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
  4. oh god please don't talk to me please dont talk to me...
    By Nillerz in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 12:05 AM
  5. Can somebody please help me with this math problem?
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO