User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Misunderstanding ENTJs

When I misunderstand something this ENTJ says, or when I correct something this ENTJ says, he gets pretty angry and acts like he wants to kick me and then stab me. I don't have this kind of problem when interacting with any other person, and I actually just know one ENTJ. I see misunderstandings as a part of life, and many times something pretty funny can come out of them, but I'm sure nothing fun comes when it happens with him. I was just wondering if that is common among ENTJs...

ENTJs, are misunderstandings horrible to you?

People who know ENTJs, has something like that ever happened to you?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Don't be so sensitive Elfa. ENTJs are going to let you know what they think of you tho. Short and painless.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Maybe the way you handle mistakes or corrections irritates or insults him.

Maybe he's not actually angry and you are blowing things out of proportion.

Maybe he's not an ENTJ at all and you're mistaking aggression and some above-standard degree of intelligence for xNTJ. Maybe he's an xSTJ or just a prick. Lots of types can be pricks.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Pettycure View Post
    Maybe the way you handle mistakes or corrections irritates or insults him.

Maybe he's not actually angry and you are blowing things out of proportion.

Maybe he's not an ENTJ at all and you're mistaking aggression and some above-standard degree of intelligence for xNTJ. Maybe he's an xSTJ or just a prick. Lots of types can be pricks.
    It might be the way I handle mistakes and correction, but since he is the only one who acts like this around me, I think the problem is not with me. But it really could be.

I've showed the descriptions of ENTJ to him and three people we know in common, and we all agree he seems ENTJ.

I'm not the only one who noticed he acts strangely angry out of almost nothing sometimes.

I'm asking this because I saw another ENTJ in a forum saying he gets pissed when someone corrects him - so I was wondering if it could be more common among ENTJs, but of course it may not be. ^^

Anyway, thanks for the imput.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

((Sorry in advance, this got longer than I intended.))
    Having had and lived with an ENTJ boyfriend for ten years, and also having a job in a place that has a disproportionate number of INFPs present, maybe I can help you figure it out.

I find on occasion that when there is an interpersonal/job-related problem at work that I am usually not even remotely aware of, that my INFP manager will actually spend the entire day working herself up to broaching the subject, and that when she does, it's in a very side-stepping kind of manner. In spending that entire day figuring out the best way to approach me about something, she actually behaves differently and anxiously, and I notice it right away. What generally ends up happening is that between her acting tense around me all day which makes me overthink what could possibly be up (she is fully an F and I am very strongly T), and then side-stepping into the subject as if it's something major that could get me into deep trouble, we are both a bit jangled by the time I realize it's a bandaid she could have ripped off first thing in the morning without me even blinking. It's frustrating, but I generally don't feel like stabbing her.

I am assuming that you approach this guy in a way that you intend to be subtle and non-threatening when something is up. Are you a superior? A coworker? Are you friends with this person, or just distant acquaintances? My boyfriend does not suffer fools, especially when they are superiors who are just "doing everything wrong". He will come home sometimes and just rant about it because the frustration gets so high. If he feels someone is an incompetent worker (or just incompetent in general), or doesn't particularly like them, or just doesn't know where they're coming from even if he does like them, they will be summarily dismissed and the event will definitely stick in his craw so to speak. I'm not calling you incompetent, but it's possible that he may question your ability compared to his own because you're coming from very different places in your decision making. As someone who does the same thing to a lesser extent, I've had to learn a long lesson that people who make their decisions from a strongly F standpoint can also be incredibly sharp, and not to flat out dismiss them.

As for just how angry he gets, my bf does get pretty angry when his capability is called into question, but he is definitely not a closed book when it comes to criticism either. And he's not violent. It's possible you do the same thing my manager does to some extent, and he unconsciously gets angered by it because it's not to the point and out of the way quickly. It's also possible that on top of things, he just flat out has anger problems. Knowing a few INFPs, I know that they do tend to feel a bit gobsmacked sometimes when someone in the room is out of sorts, whether or not it has anything at all to do with the INFP. The INFP will actually somehow take the blame for that discord onto themselves, it's kind of dismaying and fascinating to see really. It's quite possible that he does take some amount of offense to it and your infp mind always seeking for things to be okay "over-notices" the fact that he is not currently okay.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
    When I misunderstand something this ENTJ says, or when I correct something this ENTJ says, he gets pretty angry and acts like he wants to kick me and then stab me. I don't have this kind of problem when interacting with any other person, and I actually just know one ENTJ. I see misunderstandings as a part of life, and many times something pretty funny can come out of them, but I'm sure nothing fun comes when it happens with him. I was just wondering if that is common among ENTJs...

ENTJs, are misunderstandings horrible to you?

People who know ENTJs, has something like that ever happened to you?
    I hope you understand that the bolded, isn't caused by a misunderstanding. And type has nothing to do with it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Insufficient context to draw any conclusions. Can you expand on your history and also, the scenarios? Is there existing bad blood between you?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Agreed, I keep thinking about that. If he's actually reacting as strongly as you say, something deeper is going on.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I hope you understand that the bolded, isn't caused by a misunderstanding. And type has nothing to do with it.
    Agreed. The ENTJs I know are quite pleasant and rarely have a temper. Totally reasonable people even under unusual circumstances. When they get mad they lecture and explain. They don't become enraged.
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    Agreed. The ENTJs I know are quite pleasant and rarely have a temper. Totally reasonable people even under unusual circumstances. When they get mad they lecture and explain. They don't become enraged.
    Agreed.

Does not sound ENTJ. Sounds like a prick.

It's not the fact that he gets angry. It's the fact that he Hulk Rages when his flaws are acknowledged, according to the OP. Not an ENTJ behavior. Either he has some serious issues going on or he's some other type who is reacting that way for un-ENTJ reasons -- and he's a prick.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.