• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Who is more concise: INTP or INTJ?

Most concise type

• Total voters

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTPs are very detail oriented people.
INTJs are very big picture oriented people.
INTJs are therefore more concise.
INTPs though are better at explaining things.
They both have their uses then though Te is probably more useful than Ti.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs are very detail oriented people.
INTJs are very big picture oriented people.
INTJs are therefore more concise.
INTPs though are better at explaining things.
They both have their uses then though Te is probably more useful than Ti.
No.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You know you are a really wierd INTP pushing for all of this insane logical correctness mumbo jumbo. Who cares if I'm wrong? Lighten up.

Your responce: NO!

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
INTPs make more concise arguments, while INTJs more concise statements.

I agree with this....and the fact that I'm often too lazy to bother with arguments is probably one reason why so many people think I'm an INTJ.

Edit: it occurs to me that a distinction needs to be made between arguments and exploratory discussions, where INTPs have been known to ramble on and on.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In debate? I've noticed NTPs tend to mock their opponents whilst NTJs (being more emo) try to eviscerate them.

So...we're both nice in our own speshul way. :D

Mocking isn't an emotional response?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's my take: INTPs and INTJs both tend to be concise in communication unless it's an area of interest (both being introverts and thinkers caring less for social verbal padding as a general rule). When they do hit an area of interest, both can go into an incredible amount of (sometimes mind-numbing) detail... although perhaps less so than ISJs.

In writing, I think both can go on at length but INTPs are far more prone to a walls of text (as one idea flows into another in an expanding web of connection). INTJs tend to be much more structured when they write at length: more structure (like headings) but a bit less flow.

I do find it a bit odd that the forum has shifted more toward a reactive, terse style of posting, often without much explanation or substance. It's been a little odd reading about people hating walls of text (or vying over who is more concise), when I've internally had the opposite complaint... I find it hard to see how someone posting "that's wrong/stupid/mean" without farther clarification adds much to the conversation.

Of course, I'm certainly a wall-of-texter, myself.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Perceptions certainly vary. When I hear wall o text, the persons who spring to mind are more often IxxJs (Zarathustra, Fidelia, Coriolis, etc.). Depends on what parts of the forum you frequent, I suppose. I agree that nothing is more useless than a terse "that's stupid" or "you're wrong" without an explanation of why it's stupid or the person wrong.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Are we taking two INTJ and INTP trained on the same subject at the same level? Because to get them on the same level is incredibly difficult as people's skills are desperately varying. And depending on the area of discussion its also important to note analogies are better at explaining something incredibly complex. But, the receiver depending on their level of understanding may or may not require a depth of detail, so the argument who is more concise is highly contextual.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do find it a bit odd that the forum has shifted more toward a reactive, terse style of posting, often without much explanation or substance. It's been a little odd reading about people hating walls of text (or vying over who is more concise), when I've internally had the opposite complaint... I find it hard to see how someone posting "that's wrong/stupid/mean" without farther clarification adds much to the conversation.

Of course, I'm certainly a wall-of-texter, myself.
Speaking personally, I'm a compulsive editor. I always think you can say more with less. I only tend to write a lot when I don't have time to write less. What you see from an INTP (who isn't just being lazy and not engaging their brain in the way that most of us here fail to do) is the end result of a whole turmoil of disjointed speculative thought, filtered, and filtered, and filtered again, until only the purest essence remains. The resulting text tends to be very dense, sometimes with layers upon layers of meaning packed into it. With the kind of pleasing ambiguities that Ne delights in. I don't know why this pleases us, but it does. I alluded to this in one of the few lengthy posts I've ever made here. This post was long because the idea of the "Ti aesthetic" was just occurring to me and I was still working through it. But you will note that no one bothered to engage with me, because it's almost considered poor form to have this much text in one post. People are here mostly just to have fun, after all (and to pick-up chicks ;). Which makes the investment required to create a thorough and thought-provoking post more often than not, a poor one.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But, the receiver depending on their level of understanding may or may not require a depth of detail, so the argument who is more concise is highly contextual.
You are right, of course. But there are certain styles and modes of expression common to people who share a preference for particular functions. And on here, at least, it's one way we can gather empirical data about typological differences and patterns.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another question for the INTs: how ramble-y (or otherwise) are you in private correspondence with friends (e.g. emails )?

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The resulting text tends to be very dense, sometimes with layers upon layers of meaning packed into it. With the kind of pleasing ambiguities that Ne delights in.
Agreed. Though I think some people consider this the opposite of concise.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not emotional in the "I feel personally humiliated/affronted and must now take revenge" sense.

It's simply a reaction to absurdity.
An emotional reaction, yes. Any time you go beyond stating objective facts, you're emotionally reacting.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All reactions are emotional.