24 55.81%
First 2101112

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Little research is done using MBTI these days, the Five Factor Model has become much more popular in academia.

Also, if you know of any research that studied personality and concision, please let me know.
    K. I always imagine there is a lot of research. I don't actually look at a lot of it. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Here's my take: INTPs and INTJs both tend to be concise in communication unless it's an area of interest (both being introverts and thinkers caring less for social verbal padding as a general rule). When they do hit an area of interest, both can go into an incredible amount of (sometimes mind-numbing) detail... although perhaps less so than ISJs.

In writing, I think both can go on at length but INTPs are far more prone to a walls of text (as one idea flows into another in an expanding web of connection). INTJs tend to be much more structured when they write at length: more structure (like headings) but a bit less flow.

I do find it a bit odd that the forum has shifted more toward a reactive, terse style of posting, often without much explanation or substance. It's been a little odd reading about people hating walls of text (or vying over who is more concise), when I've internally had the opposite complaint... I find it hard to see how someone posting "that's wrong/stupid/mean" without farther clarification adds much to the conversation.

Of course, I'm certainly a wall-of-texter, myself.
    I love walls of text; as long as they appear to have a point- preferably several subpoints. The more organized the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Speaking personally, I'm a compulsive editor. I always think you can say more with less. I only tend to write a lot when I don't have time to write less. What you see from an INTP (who isn't just being lazy and not engaging their brain in the way that most of us here fail to do) is the end result of a whole turmoil of disjointed speculative thought, filtered, and filtered, and filtered again, until only the purest essence remains. The resulting text tends to be very dense, sometimes with layers upon layers of meaning packed into it. With the kind of pleasing ambiguities that Ne delights in. I don't know why this pleases us, but it does. I alluded to this in one of the few lengthy posts I've ever made here. This post was long because the idea of the "Ti aesthetic" was just occurring to me and I was still working through it. But you will note that no one bothered to engage with me, because it's almost considered poor form to have this much text in one post. People are here mostly just to have fun, after all (and to pick-up chicks . Which makes the investment required to create a thorough and thought-provoking post more often than not, a poor one.
    I know, right? I find my walls of text which I word carefully (which I really like doing but am often too impatient) are often read exactly the same as my more rambling ones, which is that people take one or two words that jump out at them and use those to draw extreme conclusions which contradict what I've said in the details.

As for myself (and I may not be INTX), I'm weird enough that I think out loud to myself to organize my thoughts and collect all the details; then I forget them. Then I do it again later, remembering the important bits in summary, then forget the details again. This is how I go through the filtering process. Sadly, by the time I have an organized and concise stream thoughts, the details have buried themselves so deep in my unconscious that it takes me forever to find them.

But I'm weird.

Another question for the INTs: how ramble-y (or otherwise) are you in private correspondence with friends (e.g. emails )?
    I tend to summarize into the big picture, with a few entertaining *analogies and *metaphors to summarize the details; usually involving comparisons and contrasts.

*(Technically, we should probably say "similes" since we are making a comparison using the word "like" a lot, but whatever. No one says "simile" outside of an English classroom. A metaphor says something is something else, and an analogy compares 4 things- an analogy is to a proportion as a simile is to a ratio.) <-- Do you see what I did there?? (Maybe I'm wrong, but you get the idea.)

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Oh no, Ne-Ti does not ramble. And neither does Ti-Ne or Ni-Te!
    Ne is practically the definition of rambling, and Fi is prone to wander. (So the most rambl-y combination is Ne+Fi.) Ti is the opposite of rambling; it is linear. (I'm not sure how Ni+Te produce concision.) INTP has Ne aux, and INTJ has Fi tert. So either type can be capable of rambling if either Ne or Fi takes over. The types pretty much balance out. As far as being strictly lengthy is concerned, that's more a combination of factors centered around the T functions.

Ne rambling:
    T functions
    T-cells
    tea functions
    tea sells
    Functioning sells.
    Functioning cells.
    My function is to sell tea.
    I drink tea and my cells function.
    Tea is good.

^
    l

This is impeccable logic.

ReflecTcelfeR

Is there a certain point in this thread where the option "neither" suddenly appears?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Then people who are INTX flip flop between super concise and the opposite of concise. It's like not seeing the forest for the trees and not seeing the trees because you are flying miles above it and it looks like a sea of green, at the same time. Either brilliant and extremely effective or completely incomprehensible.

Just a theory.
    Try taking a philosophy class. Oh dear god. Haha
    EDIT: I meant there are a lot of INTX.

figsfiggyfigs

INTPs can go on and on and ON about the difference between turning on a light switch and turning it off.
    Intjs tend to be much shorter and metaphorical.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Oh no, Ne-Ti does not ramble. And neither does Ti-Ne or Ni-Te!
    In informal, personal correspondence, I can ramble a good deal, if I think the other person will be able and willing to follow. I never, ever ramble when I speak. Ever. I consider it bad manners. Why should anyone be forced to listen to brain diarrhoea?

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    K.
    I tend to summarize into the big picture, with a few entertaining *analogies and *metaphors to summarize the details; usually involving comparisons and contrasts.

*(Technically, we should probably say "similes" since we are making a comparison using the word "like" a lot, but whatever. No one says "simile" outside of an English classroom. A metaphor says something is something else, and an analogy compares 4 things- an analogy is to a proportion as a simile is to a ratio.) <-- Do you see what I did there?? (Maybe I'm wrong, but you get the idea.)
    Who is we? I use the word analogy when it is appropriate to do so. An analogy is not the same as a simile, a simile is a figure of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    Is there a certain point in this thread where the option "neither" suddenly appears?
    No. This is not one of those magical threads. Keep looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

"emo" has specific connotations which are not found in the parent word.

I was mocking you (gently).
    It's an intellectual response to absurdity.
    Maybe this is an Fe/Fi thing, because ime, it seems like if anything, INTPs are more likely to emotionally react during argument than INTJs. It's probably misinterpreted by the other type and they're assumed to be reacting "more emo"than than they actually are.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Maybe this is an Fe/Fi thing, because ime, it seems like if anything, INTPs are more likely to emotionally react during argument than INTJs. It's probably misinterpreted by the other type and they're assumed to be reacting "more emo"than than they actually are.
    You might be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Try taking a philosophy class. Oh dear god. Haha
    EDIT: I meant there are a lot of INTX.
    Yes, this too! I'm taking 3 right now as it's my major. Hadn't thought about that.

Who is we? I use the word analogy when it is appropriate to do so. An analogy is not the same as a simile, a simile is a figure of speech.
    I meant people collectively on here and in everyday life who I've heard say "analogy" and make them. I'm glad someone uses them appropriately. Not that it's important, it just makes me happy.