• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Intuitively knowing more meanings?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sometimes when talking or writing I think to use certain words but then realize I'm not positive I actually know the meaning of the word but then when I look it up it's correct. Sort of like knowing before actually learning. I was thinking it might be the result of Ne but maybe another fiction. Just sorta weird wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

W

WALMART

Happens to me, I tend to think of vocabulary as subjective and words easily makeupable

By that I mean I frequently use whatever word pops into my mind, then verify it's accuracy post-writing

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Happens to me, I tend to think of vocabulary as subjective and words easily makeupable

By that I mean I frequently use whatever word pops into my mind, then verify it's accuracy post-writing

Yeah. Or maybe it's the Ti and Ne combination. Knowing a words meaning due to exposure to it's use but needing confirmation.

Language is mystifying.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably a mixture of Ti and something else...but a subconscious thing sort of. Like reverse Ne, finding all these ideas and linking them to one...but not quite. Happens to me also.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
With me it tends to be the opposite. Infrequently used words which are reasonably well known I tend to misjudge the meanings of. So if I think I may want to use one of these I look up the meaning and then (usually have to) find another word or phrase.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I'm pretty sure every functional human being on this Earth does this.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do it all the time actually too.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah I think this happens naturally, especially if you do a lot of reading.

Also the more words you know, the easier it is to pull off, because you subconsciously pick up things by context, especially in native language.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes when talking or writing I think to use certain words but then realize I'm not positive I actually know the meaning of the word but then when I look it up it's correct. Sort of like knowing before actually learning. I was thinking it might be the result of Ne but maybe another fiction. Just sorta weird wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

haha, I really doubt it's Ne. More like imperfect memory, assuming it's a word you do know. Everyone does this as far as I know. People with very precise memory (high Si?) might do it less often.

Side note: most people pick up vocabulary by context and as a result can be slightly off on the definitions - also not really an N thing. Most people don't actually read the dictionary for each new word they learn. :laugh:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Learn some Latin and Greek word roots and this will happen to you every paragraph.

Nicodemus

"Now what do the words of this language signify?---What is supposed to show what they signify, if not the kind of use they have?"
- Wittgenstein

rav3n

Yes, I agree that language is primarily learned by context where pretty much everyone does it. That said, high Ne when honed by Ti-dom, can create a metaphorical potpourri. Delicious!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The subconscious is incredible at retaining information, even if your conscious mind doesn't remember.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Since you are saying this happens while talking/writing, you have already learned the word and just don't distinctly remember learning it. You probably read it in a book, intuited the meaning by context, and it settled into your brain dormant until it popped up when needed. Happens to me all the time and I am a big reader. I think it is only intuition when you are picking up its meaning. If you are using it, it means it's already in your brain.

pv255

Since you are saying this happens while talking/writing, you have already learned the word and just don't distinctly remember learning it. You probably read it in a book, intuited the meaning by context, and it settled into your brain dormant until it popped up when needed. Happens to me all the time and I am a big reader. I think it is only intuition when you are picking up its meaning. If you are using it, it means it's already in your brain.
:thumbup:
you heard it used somewhere, guessed its meaning, and stored it away.

pv255

What you mean is, "Sort of like knowing before actually explicitly looking it up." Intuition is a form of learning!! So is looking it up.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i do this (insert fancy word here)ly often

G

Glycerine

I get this all the time when I am writing. It's like I hear/read the word used within several contexts and it becomes engrained into my subconscious. Even if I have never used it in real life conversation, the word with the correct meaning usually pops into my head.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, though I tend to look them up shortly afterwards to confirm.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The worst is when you intuit a word's meaning to be different from its actual meaning.