• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP + INTJ relationships, do they work?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well? Is this match up likely to work? I've heard that it doesn't, but I think it stems a lot from the immaturity of people who analyze the issue and love to make dualistic opposites between INTP's and INTJ's. I think the two are far more similar than many others. Add to that I probably flip between the two in my own personality. I'm a predominantly INTP guy talking to an INTJ girl. We get along magically, and I've never ever connected with someone on that level. We think alike, share the same beliefs, values, interests, sense of humor, etc. etc. One of the few people in this world I've ever felt free to open up to on just about anything and everything.

What do you think about the INTP/INTJ dynamic?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Though you'll often be on the same page, you'll want to be moving onto the Glossary while she wants to go back to Contents.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Mort, are you talking about communication or sexual relations?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
. . . It's close to being the best possible situation.

So, go for it!

And take her to Shakespeare and Company. Once there, treat her to a Guinness and a basket of fish and chips. You'll thank me later.

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
Sounds like a good match...you have lots in common, but you also complement each other.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well? Is this match up likely to work? I've heard that it doesn't, but I think it stems a lot from the immaturity of people who analyze the issue and love to make dualistic opposites between INTP's and INTJ's. I think the two are far more similar than many others. Add to that I probably flip between the two in my own personality. I'm a predominantly INTP guy talking to an INTJ girl. We get along magically, and I've never ever connected with someone on that level. We think alike, share the same beliefs, values, interests, sense of humor, etc. etc. One of the few people in this world I've ever felt free to open up to on just about anything and everything.

If the physical chemistry is there, it sounds like a great match. I lean toward thinking like matches are preferred over opposite matches, but both have their benefits. Make a conscious effort not to let her shoulder more than her fair share of the mundane responsibilities and I don't think you'll have too many problems.

Arachne

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an INTP female married to an INTJ male. There are a few constant points of conflict but on the whole it's a complementary match.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
We're nerdy enough to scare the parents, yet we communicate well, trust one-another, are comfortable, and don't need to be mushy in some foreign way to make the other happy.

We can also sit next to each-other on our laptops and it doesn't bother either of us one bit (like we are right now).

Pretty good, if you ask me.

Pyxi

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W6
I am INTJ. Have dated 3 INTP men in the last 5 months. It was always wonderful at the start, but then I realise they just don't understand certain aspects of a relationship, like how to get past limerence and how to pair-bond. Which has been a horrible experience. I feel they live somewhere in outer space. I think they mean well, but are just not grounded enough for me. I can be friends with INTPs, but a relationship? No. And the higher the numbers, the more air-headed and emotionally vacant they seem to me.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
I am INTJ. Have dated 3 INTP men in the last 5 months. It was always wonderful at the start, but then I realise they just don't understand certain aspects of a relationship, like how to get past limerence and how to pair-bond. Which has been a horrible experience. I feel they live somewhere in outer space. I think they mean well, but are just not grounded enough for me. I can be friends with INTPs, but a relationship? No. And the higher the numbers, the more air-headed and emotionally vacant they seem to me.

I was in a long-term relationship with an INTJ, and I can see some of the problems you've experienced. The INTJ was a bit more serious about everything, milestones, etc. than I could ever be. But it's a mistake to think an INTP (or any normal human being) is "emotionally vacant". If anything, it's the INTJ who has more difficulty being expressive.

The issue that killed us was mutual neglect. Having two people who deny they have emotional needs in a relationship can be a real challenge, especially if they are also not being open about other things (both can have a tendency to be secretive). But I don't think in general that the INTP/INTJ relationship is doomed. It's not the kind that explodes, but fades. Non-negligible chance of becoming "roommates" after years of marriage, etc.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think it would be more of a God / Follower relationship, since INTPs usually say only and always about INTJs: "It's already worse for me as an intp but as an intj it must be doubly hard" or "I hope, when I am grown up, I can achieve the clarity to see things like an INTJ" :D

I tell you something, everyone is bribable dont let the INTJs make you their pet slaves, rather trust the ENTPs they gonna share things with you and will treat you like brothers, I promise *fingers crossed* ;)

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More into the functions, The differences between Ni and Ne makes it hard to communicate. Interpretation is priority to one whilst connection is important to another.

rav3n

This is a joke but at the same time, there's some truth to it. :devil:

COMPATIBILITY: INTPs make ideal companions to INTJs, as neither of them notices they're in a relationship.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha. No.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I tell you something, everyone is bribable dont let the INTJs make you their pet slaves, rather trust the ENTPs they gonna share things with you and will treat you like brothers, I promise *fingers crossed* ;)

Why don't I trust this?

OrenIIshi

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
This is a joke but at the same time, there's some truth to it. :devil:

Hahahha, well...I'm an ENTJ and had to drop the news to my INTP darling. I told him: "Am I a closet girlfriend?, we see each other almost every night, we have dinner, work on some personal projects together, meet with my friends and they invite us to join them. We go to the Opera with your parents, we have dinner with your parents, I go to church with your sister....we take care of your grandma every now and then, we're making plans to visit my family for the holidays. We've been doing all this for almost 8 months: WE ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP!!! and you STILL HAVEN'T TOLD YOUR ROTARY CLUB FRIENDS YOU'RE WITH SOMEONE!!!!!??????" (hence I am not invited to the meetings/parties/dinners). His answer was: "Erhh..I am still not sure if I want to marry you", as if it takes that to publicly accept you are in a relationship ¿What does it take for an INTP to realize/accept and reconcile with the fact that he is in a relationship?