• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTJ versus INTP writing styles

Nicodemus

Cultural differences? I think German is very hard to read. It's just compact to me, as Swede. Spanish flows better. There's more to it than what I am trying to express but yeah. Felt like I dug my own grave here and I can't really justify my opinion so meh.
You can be partially saved: It is true that German - like Latin - morphology is more analytic (instead of synthetic) than, say, English morphology. What is not true is that German is thus 'compact'.

A

Anew Leaf

This explains why I like TJ writing so much; I am a huge fan of bullet points. :drool:

Very well written! I obviously identify a lot with the INP stuff, but I can relate to some of the INTJ side as well.

Language is delicious.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
I would have guessed Te would cause users to write in long run-on sentences because they think in straight lines of cause and effect reasoning whereas a Ti user would have more structured and organized writing rather than because A is this B must be that which connects the 2 to C of course of which the Ti user would say that this item fits into definition A and that item proves category B under the rules of C.

edit - Warning as I may not know what I am talking about as usaul. This is just my usual uninformed opinion not based on objective evidence!

Actually I've noticed that plenty of Te users prefer more clipped sentences rather than long run-ons, and the structure overall would be more categorized and rigid. The Ti user will probably be more likely to have longer sentences since you can follow their process of thought on the page. Ti writing structure that I have seen seems more fluid and less focused on the organization of sentences and paragraphs than Te structure is.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You seem to be saying the INTJ style is more academic and the INTP more literary.

I don't know, I can write in either style (amongst others). But I have well-developed Te.

Some of what you say rings true. Especially this:

LeaT said:
the INTP feels the system in their mind is so complex they can't even begin to put it into words. They therefore end up saying something incredibly reductionist and abstract to the point where others cannot even begin to understand what they are trying to say, for instance:

The apple is not just an apple.

I've seen INTJs do this too though...
And we don't necessarily expect everyone to understand at all. Other people's understanding is not always the most important thing in INTP communication. It's just a bonus when it happens.

Much of the rest doesn't ring true to my experience.

I find INTJ writing much more abstruse and redundant than INTP writing, which strives, above all, for simplicity.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I think INTPs go for brevity because they aren't interesting in expounding on anything unless doing so points towards what is true.
INTJs seem to like to say whatever will get a reaction , raise eyebrows, so to speak. They seem less interested in truth and more in winning or dominating the present argument.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You seem to be saying the INTJ style is more academic and the INTP more literary.

I don't know, I can write in either style (amongst others). But I have well-developed Te.

Some of what you say rings true. Especially this:

I've seen INTJs do this too though...
And we don't necessarily expect everyone to understand at all. Other people's understanding is not always the most important thing in INTP communication. It's just a bonus when it happens.

Much of the rest doesn't ring true to my experience.

I find INTJ writing much more abstruse and redundant than INTP writing, which strives, above all, for simplicity.

Which is kind of what I was saying. I am stereotyping here a little to make the wriing styles more clear. I have no problem accessing either style, but this is because both my NiTe are quite developed for an INTP.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which is kind of what I was saying. I am stereotyping here a little to make the wriing styles more clear. I have no problem accessing either style, but this is because both my NiTe are quite developed for an INTP.

Or rather, the opposite of what you said:
Since INTJs have Te as their auxiliary function, they will desire a strong need to structure the chaotic nature of Ni by looking for external frameworks to provide with structure. This need to create an external framework also affects the way the text is structured, making the INTJ writing appear as a brick wall that will stand all tests of time. The writing is direct, to the point, well-structured and often highly synthetisized. If the INTJ could reduce their writing into one single symbol they would do it.

In contrast, the INTP writing is often seen as incredibly confusing, especially to non-Ne users. This is because the INTP reaches outwards and sees all the connections around the subject they write about, which added with their informative communication style, makes them feel the need to inform others about every little detail as to why the subject is.

INTPs love symbols, and formulae. We are definitely the "less is more" type.

People tell me often that my writing is extremely clear and comprehensible (as is my spoken communication style). I do not recognise the random ramblings you describe.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

People tell me often that my writing is extremely clear and comprehensible (as is my spoken communication style). I do not recognise the random ramblings you describe.

I agree with Salome. I don't usually have trouble expressing myself. (I'm xNTP.) In fact, I really enjoy communicating complicated ideas. I found the rest of what you said very accurate. Context is very important to me, and I tend to explain things sequentially. As far as structure, I find that the organization of my ideas takes on new forms as I write and gain more clarity. Speaking helps me clarify ideas, which changes their structure. I often find myself rewriting paragraphs or starting explanations over to backtrack and develop a more accurate picture. Great post!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think INTPs go for brevity because they aren't interesting in expounding on anything unless doing so points towards what is true.
INTJs seem to like to say whatever will get a reaction , raise eyebrows, so to speak. They seem less interested in truth and more in winning or dominating the present argument.
Our pen IS our sword.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great article LeaT. Have you thought about doing one for the rest of the types?

I identify alot with the INTP style, in particular these paragraphs rang very true for me:

This doesn't mean that INTPs do not put a lot of thought into what they write. The INTP's problem when writing therefore lies in that the INTP feels that there is no way one can succinctly express the complexity of Ti externally. (I have in fact serious issues trying to express INTP writing in this very article because I indeed feel that there is no way any text could fully express what I am trying to say, since I must constantly consider all the INTP details that creates my system.)

I also want to add that the INTP is more likely to use conjunctions than the INTJ. Words such as "and", "but" and "maybe" are common. The INTP has no problem writing run-on paragraph sentences without any full stops. The INTP also constantly uses words that may imply uncertainty. Words such as "perhaps", already mentioned "maybe", "mostly likely" and so forth are often used to provide with what the INTP perceives as clarity (study how many I've used in this paragraph!). Compare to the INTJ that does not use such words because INTJs want to achieve certainty. INTPs on the other hand strive for uncertainty because they constantly see new connections of data they did not previously consider. The INTP may therefore arrive at the paradoxical conclusion that uncertainty is the only thing they can be certain about and this is often reflected in their writing. As I used to jokingly tell my e-friends: I am born confused made to confuse

I do identify somewhat with the INTJ style though. I like succinctness as long as it doesn't compromise truth and I like having bullet points where appropriate.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The OP offers the kind of theory that can't be applied back to reality with any accuracy. Take a sample of writing from an individual of either type, and without knowing anything about the author, tell me which represents "INTP writing" and which represents "INTJ writing."

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually I've noticed that plenty of Te users prefer more clipped sentences rather than long run-ons, and the structure overall would be more categorized and rigid. The Ti user will probably be more likely to have longer sentences since you can follow their process of thought on the page. Ti writing structure that I have seen seems more fluid and less focused on the organization of sentences and paragraphs than Te structure is.

Not necessarily. Ti would go as far as their system goes and try to say whatever is relevant, as Te would. That's until there are some contradictions in the system again and Ti needs to be used again until equilibrium is reached, same as Te (e.g, oh...well if I cant get this car going by 8am, I will have to think of something else to get to work!). it's mostly Ne in INTPs that force them to look for more and cause them to ramble on, giving Ti more work to do.

INTJs tend to be way more precise, until Ni starts looking further and your all like 'woah man, I think it's just a party. you're going to have to explain why you think it's a setup more' etc.

Our pen IS our sword.

Touche

The OP offers the kind of theory that can't be applied back to reality with any accuracy. Take a sample of writing from an individual of either type, and without knowing anything about the author, tell me which represents "INTP writing" and which represents "INTJ writing."

That would be tougher than it sounds. It's much easier to tell over a forum when you interact with them though.

Last edited:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You are actually first person out of all the ones I have had comment on this to disagree. I definitely cannot recognize myself with "less is more". Yes, I like minimalism, but to reduce something into its essential core by utilizing a reductio ad absurdum kind of think is not something I think is common among INTPs. And did you pay attention to the portion where I notice on the Ti redundancy aspect? If anything it perhaps sounds like this is something you are doing, if you are absolutely certain that you are a Ti dom, that is.

I agree with Salome. I don't usually have trouble expressing myself. (I'm xNTP.) In fact, I really enjoy communicating complicated ideas. I found the rest of what you said very accurate. Context is very important to me, and I tend to explain things sequentially. As far as structure, I find that the organization of my ideas takes on new forms as I write and gain more clarity. Speaking helps me clarify ideas, which changes their structure. I often find myself rewriting paragraphs or starting explanations over to backtrack and develop a more accurate picture. Great post!

Communicating complex ideas is different how you communicate them, though. My comment is more about the thought-process itself. It sometimes feel difficult to communicate the idea because the idea is too complicated than language allows it to be expressed.

I also think Ne development might play a role here. The more developed Ne is, the more likely you are to take upon a blabbery kind of writing style, until Si is decently developed to help hold Ne back.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You think? I base this on studying quite a few INTPs and INTJs writing on an internet forum. I would say it is fairly accurate. In fact, my article is actually very similar to what Keirsey already proposed, as an INTJ pointed out to me (of course, as an INTP, this is not something that would've naturally occurred to me).

I also base this on my experience of typing others. You will see a difference in how Ne and Ni is expressed in writing, just like you will see a difference between Ti and Fi (are more likely to be confused than Ti and Te). It just takes practice to learn how to spot it properly.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great article LeaT. Have you thought about doing one for the rest of the types?

I identify alot with the INTP style, in particular these paragraphs rang very true for me:

This doesn't mean that INTPs do not put a lot of thought into what they write. The INTP's problem when writing therefore lies in that the INTP feels that there is no way one can succinctly express the complexity of Ti externally. (I have in fact serious issues trying to express INTP writing in this very article because I indeed feel that there is no way any text could fully express what I am trying to say, since I must constantly consider all the INTP details that creates my system.)

I also want to add that the INTP is more likely to use conjunctions than the INTJ. Words such as "and", "but" and "maybe" are common. The INTP has no problem writing run-on paragraph sentences without any full stops. The INTP also constantly uses words that may imply uncertainty. Words such as "perhaps", already mentioned "maybe", "mostly likely" and so forth are often used to provide with what the INTP perceives as clarity (study how many I've used in this paragraph!). Compare to the INTJ that does not use such words because INTJs want to achieve certainty. INTPs on the other hand strive for uncertainty because they constantly see new connections of data they did not previously consider. The INTP may therefore arrive at the paradoxical conclusion that uncertainty is the only thing they can be certain about and this is often reflected in their writing. As I used to jokingly tell my e-friends: I am born confused made to confuse

I do identify somewhat with the INTJ style though. I like succinctness as long as it doesn't compromise truth and I like having bullet points where appropriate.
Yes. I have been considering it for the INFP versus something (not sure which). The limitations of writing for other styles lies in that I can't access all type combinations that easily, mind-set wise. I could for instance explain the ISTP writing, especially how Ni is extremely useful for the ISTP when making text flow better, but unfortunately I can't offer much of a deep analysis. Perhaps part because I haven't studied that many ISTPs and how they write.

Extraverted thinking is also almost completely alien to me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You think? I base this on studying quite a few INTPs and INTJs writing on an internet forum. I would say it is fairly accurate. In fact, my article is actually very similar to what Keirsey already proposed, as an INTJ pointed out to me (of course, as an INTP, this is not something that would've naturally occurred to me).

I also base this on my experience of typing others. You will see a difference in how Ne and Ni is expressed in writing, just like you will see a difference between Ti and Fi (are more likely to be confused than Ti and Te). It just takes practice to learn how to spot it properly.

My challenge stands.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My challenge stands.

I feel no need to support additional proof than what's already provided in the OP. I had considered to quote immature INTJ and INTP writing respectively, but I felt it would've been unethical.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed. Bit of Forer effect thrown in for good measure.

You are actually first person out of all the ones I have had comment on this to disagree.
Maybe no one else read it all the way through?
I definitely cannot recognize myself with "less is more".
I noticed.
Yes, I like minimalism, but to reduce something into its essential core by utilizing a reductio ad absurdum kind of think is not something I think is common among INTPs.
You're wrong. Reductio ad absurdum, in its original (non-pejorative) sense, is something Ti excels at.
As is recursively reducing something to its essence
E.g. E=mc2
Unless you're suggesting that INTPs don't make good mathematicians/theoretical physicists?
And did you pay attention to the portion where I notice on the Ti redundancy aspect?
I assumed you didn't know what "redundancy" means. INTPs (or any Ti-Dom)
*hate* to be redundant.
A lot of your post is gobbledygook to me. I assume because you are ESL.
if you are absolutely certain that you are a Ti dom, that is.
*rollseyes*
More certain than that you are.

Constructing this kind of OP (and cross posting across multiple sites) is a kinda INTJ thing to do.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. I have been considering it for the INFP versus something (not sure which).
INFJ, please. :)
After all we're to INFP what INTJ is to INTP.
Often confused with one another, even by ourselves.
As an added bonus INFJ functions should also be familiar to you with Fe and Ti in our make up and because you're already thought of Ni's influence. If you find the time I'm sure people in :unicorn: land (as many NTs like to think of it... ;) ), also known as the NF idyllic, would really be exited to hear an analysis on this particular subject, with both types being so fond of literature, poetry and writing. :)