I'll update this thread whenever I have internet access and time.
- Busy preparing for the trip - laundry, packing, etc.
- Drove up to Mira Mesa on Saturday to go to a barbecue my friends had. Due to this, my last meal in San Diego was Korean barbecue, which is barbecue meat with rice, marinated fish salads (cephalopod with wood ear mushrooms! yum yum!), kimchi, and potato salad (adding a bit of American to the mix).
- At the train station I took a picture of one of the hills to compare, and a couple in the city on the way. It's a bit of a tradition of mine before longer trips.
- I could tell I was at the right gate because there were a lot of improbably-white people with bad sunburns. Like everywhere. I've never seen more people with sunburns in one place.
- My flight was on Sun Country Airlines, which is a MN-based airline.
- The flight attendant that handled the intercom on the plane had the most peculiar accent I've ever heard. I can't even start to describe it. She used some terms that were quite foreign. All the flight attendants were polite.
- The girl sitting next to me was even worse, though. She talked on her cell phone interspersed with some kind of completely foreign terminology, in spite of using what I would describe as stereotypical exaggerated valley girl for the rest of it. I didn't talk to her, because I don't talk to valley girls.
- What is with the midwestern airlines and charging for snacks? All the locals, once again, pulled snacks out of their bags when the drinks came around. I'm totally prepared for SoCal contingencies, but apparently not for here. I think everyone carries some amount of food here, so I might stock my bags and car with food to blend in better.
- Later they came down the aisle with cheeseburgers in little plastic bags. I've never seen anything like this before. My mind is still reeling. It was pretty good, if mild. They were meat, cheese, and pickle on a plain bun. The condiments came on the side. I don't know if this was for varying condiment tastes, or if it was to avoid cooking damage.
- I was going the wrong way on it, and it was pretty obvious. When we landed the flight attendant on the intercom with the over-the-top weird accent told us to have a safe drive home. That'd be quite a drive for me...
- A couple other passengers were complaining about my hurrying off the plane and walking fast...right behind me...where I could hear them. I didn't bother to respond, though one of them said I was cute.
- When I made it down to the baggage claim, file cabinet was there to meet me because I gave him my flight number. He took me to my hotel. Major props.
- The front desk was empty last night, and the auto-checkin didn't work. They said all they had was twins, and I said "that's fine". I'm on the 22nd floor, which is a pretty nice view of the infinite plain all the way out to where the clouds meet the surface. I think I'm looking south-west, because if I look to the far left I can see some kind of building with two visible domes on top (like architectural mammaries), but I can't be certain.