• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] MN trip notes

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Mississippi's route:
Mississippiroute.jpg

Approaching the headwaters:
Mississippinearbeginning.jpg

First ducks on the Mississippi:
FirstDucks.jpg

Where it all begins:
Mississippibegins.jpg

Now we're going to play a game of "Identify the flora in Wolf's Picture"...
Flower 1:
Flower1.jpg

Flower 2:
Flower2.jpg

Flower 3, picture 1 (sun up, no rain):
Flower3-1.jpg

Flower 3, picture 2 (afternoon, cloudy, raining lightly...it closes in these conditions):
Flower3-2.jpg

Flower 4:
Flower4.jpg

Flower 5:
Flower5.jpg

And a conifer, with cones:
Conifer.jpg

Last, but not least, here's some scenery from the park in the rain:
Itascaintherain.jpg

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Friday:
- Recovered over much of the day.
- Ate pitiful crap for lunch in there somewhere.
- Discussed the plans for Saturday via text with file cabinet.
- Went over to see Varelse and met her dad.
- Ate dinner with her and her parents.
- Hung out there until sometime after 2300 mainly talking to her dad/parents.

Saturday:
- Dropped by file cabinet's place at 1045 or so, where I picked him and cascademn up.
- Drove to Franconia Sculpture Park, where we wandered around looking at sculptures. For some reason the less formal meets with INTPs involve looking at artwork, especially sculptures, and often primarily of the found item variety. I'm reminded of the trip to the Albany Bulb, only it was much sunnier here.
- I may have been the fastest one at climbing the post, in spite of my weight and size.
- From there we went to Taylors Falls, where we obtained ice cream based beverages (one shake and two malts, one of which had extra malt powder but no cookie), I drank some root beer, and we all split a pizza with red sauce on it (one of us also applied white powder to the pizza before consumption). The naming conventions on the menu here were amusing. We were also informed that they were out of hotdogs, which ruined cascademn's day, because she was dreaming of a big, juicy, all-beef hotdog with pickles, sauerkraut, and horseradish sauce.
- The pickle jar disturbed us and kept us from eating pie. We also learned about marketing and diapers (thanks, file cabinet!)
- Went to the park next door and rented a canoe, which we paddled down to Osceola. We beached the boat to check out a couple islands, were amused by the amount of interest some crazy/noisy people had for a crappy little sand bar, and took quite a few pictures (many of which were silly). Somehow we avoided losing anyone in the dark waters of the St Croix River...
- We found at least four ticks, but none of us were bitten by them. I thought I would be the only one, but then cascademn found one wandering on her. This made me feel a bit better since someone that should be familiar with them also collected some. They're curious little creatures, slowly crawling over your clothes and body with their tiny crustacean-like short legs looking for a place to stop, insert their barbed mouth, and suck out your blood. Since I saw my first one on this trip, I have also learned more about them than I'd ever known. Apparently they won't bite you if you pick them up with your hand. Only people that are familiar with them would know this, though.
- Failed to avoid the sun enough and got myself a sunburn.
- Walked/hiked/jumped around the St Croix pothole/lava flow area up the road from the canoe rental place.
- On the way back to St Paul I heard a confirmed tornado siren for the first time.
- Confirmed that I actually have been growing recently.
- The storm that caused the tornado sirens came this way and the sirens went off here... A little concerning, but not enough to really do anything.
- I'm pretty sure one of those islands was at least partially in Wisconsin, and would have been my first time ever in the state. We definitely crossed the border in the canoe.

My trip is now winding down. I fly back home this evening at 1920 CDT, so I drop the car off sometime after 1700 today...

I suspect that cascademn will post some pictures when she gets a chance, and I have some that I'll probably be posting soon...

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Now we're going to play a game of "Identify the flora in Wolf's Picture"...
Flower 1:
Flower1.jpg

That'd be a white trillium! There were a number growing around the drive way of my canadian holiday cottage, last week!

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
That'd be a white trillium! There were a number growing around the drive way of my canadian holiday cottage, last week!
Precisely.

Mmmff, my parents keep stealing him. Do not want. :(

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We were also informed that they were out of hotdogs, which ruined cascademn's day, because she was dreaming of a big, juicy, all-beef hotdog with pickles, sauerkraut, and horseradish sauce.

Oh, I see you know me so well.

- The pickle jar disturbed us and kept us from eating pie.

Indeed it did.

Went to the park next door and rented a canoe, which we paddled down to Osceola. We beached the boat to check out a couple islands, were amused by the amount of interest some crazy/noisy people had for a crappy little sand bar, and took quite a few pictures (many of which were silly).

What? We took silly pictures???

- We found at least four ticks, but none of us were bitten by them. I thought I would be the only one, but then cascademn found one wandering on her. This made me feel a bit better since someone that should be familiar with them also collected some. They're curious little creatures, slowly crawling over your clothes and body with their tiny crustacean-like short legs looking for a place to stop, insert their barbed mouth, and suck out your blood. Since I saw my first one on this trip, I have also learned more about them than I'd ever known. Apparently they won't bite you if you pick them up with your hand. Only people that are familiar with them would know this, though.

Correction: There were at least 3-4 that I pulled off of me.

(And it takes them a good couple of hours to find a suitable burrowing spot, so it's a slow process and they won't 'bite' you right away)

- Walked/hiked/jumped around the St Croix pothole/lava flow area up the road from the canoe rental place.

Lava flow area??:huh: I'm pretty sure those rock formations weren't caused by lava flow.....;)

Excellent trip synopsis!! The only thing you neglected to mention was how awesome I am at doing handstands -- I am SO much better than file cabinet. :)

I suspect that cascademn will post some pictures when she gets a chance, and I have some that I'll probably be posting soon...

And here some are!

Wolf and file cabinet standing by the creepy sculptures...
mnsummer08004lo7.jpg

Wolf and I chillin' on an interactive sculpture
mnsummer08005sr0.jpg

Wolf practicing his paddling skillz in preparation for the formidable St. Croix
mnsummer08009cz0.jpg

file cabinet trying to block Wolf from the picture
mnsummer08017tf0.jpg

Moi -- and oh, incidentally, Wolf mentioned numerous times how he is an 'old man' - which was rather an insult to me, since I'm nearly 3 yrs older than he!! Hmmph. I'm still young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
mnsummer08018dm5.jpg

Some of the scenery - this is the Wisconsin side of the river
mnsummer08033uc6.jpg

file cabinet sensing his distant ancestry of tree-dwellers
mnsummer08038fy1.jpg

Our canoe
mnsummer08034rn1.jpg

Oh! As for your flowers, 2 is some type of violet, 3 is possibly a Rue Anemone, 4 is possibly a Sessile Bellwort, and 5 is Marsh Marigold

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Moi -- and oh, incidentally, Wolf mentioned numerous times how he is an 'old man' - which was rather an insult to me, since I'm nearly 3 yrs older than he!! Hmmph. I'm still young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I believe you are both referring to your real ages, not the physical number of years (and I'd say yes, you are both right.. you are young and he is old!)

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Mmmff, my parents keep stealing him. Do not want. :(
They seemed so very curious about me. *sighs*

Correct!

Oh, I see you know me so well.
Absolutely! I don't think anyone other than Varelse bothered to read the Wednesday entry...

Correction: There were at least 3-4 that I pulled off of me.

(And it takes them a good couple of hours to find a suitable burrowing spot, so it's a slow process and they won't 'bite' you right away)
Congratulations! You collected more of them than I did that day, in spite of my bushwhacking.

Excellent trip synopsis!! The only thing you neglected to mention was how awesome I am at doing handstands -- I am SO much better than file cabinet. :)
:doh: How could I forget that?

Some of the scenery - this is the Wisconsin side of the river
mnsummer08033uc6.jpg
I took almost the exact same picture!

file cabinet sensing his distant ancestry of tree-dwellers
mnsummer08038fy1.jpg
What happened to the really good one with him in the tree? I wish it would have snapped a split second earlier, though.

Our canoe
mnsummer08034rn1.jpg
Very nice picture! You could hang that one on the wall.

Oh! As for your flowers, 2 is some type of violet, 3 is possibly a Rue Anemone, 4 is possibly a Sessile Bellwort, and 5 is Marsh Marigold
#2 is a Violet. I'll accept that, since it could be pretty difficult to identify. It's a western dog violet, which also grows in Western Montana, Yellowstone, Washington, and British Columbia, all of which are places I've found them before.
#3 is incorrect.
#4 is a Bellwort, but you're off on the variety. The size (see smaller #3 in the background), form, and known location should make it easy...
#5 is correct.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Saturday's Pictures...

Franconia Sculpture Park:

cascademn noted that this looked like a pile of excrement from a distance... file cabinet and I thought it was neat. You decide...
Ringsofsteel.jpg

Another scuplture, with clouds:
Cloudoversculpture.jpg

...I see a little silhouetto of a member...
fcandcascademninabox.jpg

...SCARAMOUCHE, SCARAMOUCHE is file cabinet trying to do the Fandango?

file cabinet on a stick:
fconastick.jpg

cascademn on a stick:
cascademnonastick.jpg

...and, me on a stick:
wolfonastick.jpg

St Croix State Park:

The first island in the middle of the river that we decided to land on (no ticks here):
firststop.jpg

Here is file cabinet wearing a life preserver, though we're not sure why:
fcneedsalifepreserver.jpg

Here I am at the top of the island. They thought this was an accomplishment similar to my project, but it just gave me a good view of those silly people that were excessively interested in their sand bar:
wolfonhighestpoint.jpg

This is the rock formation from cascademn's picture, only from the opposite side so as to avoid duplicates:
cliffalongstcroix.jpg

file cabinet trying to block cascademn from the picture with his paddle, much like the picture she has, except from the other direction in the canoe:
fcandcascadeinaboat.jpg

file cabinet doing a handstand:
fcdoinghandstand.jpg

cascademn totally showing file cabinet up with her clearly-superior handstand:
cascadeattemptinghandstand.jpg

Trees and clouds, in the Taylors Falls area that we hiked around:
treetops.jpg

Another flower to identify! Believe it or not, I don't know what this one is...
flower6.jpg

cascademn should have a bunch of really good pictures of the Taylors Falls area, too, so I didn't post all of mine.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Excellent photos Wolf! Thanks for sharing. And thank you for acknowledging my handstand superiority. hehe.

So I did a :doh: after I listed Rue Anemone as flower 3 -- I have a photo of Rue Anemone myself and it's SO not a Rue Anemone (well..obviously), cause of the foliage. My real guess is Wood Anemone.

Flower 4 - Large-flowered Bellwort.

The yellow and red flower is a Wild Columbine. They are pretty common in MN; I'm not sure how widespread they are throughout the rest of the U.S., although I feel like I've seen them quite a few places.

Actually I didn't take many photos of the Taylors Falls area itself, because the lighting was pretty poor, and I didn't think there were many fantastic compositions to choose from. I'll add the ones I took, but I'll also add one from a few yrs ago, when the lighting was a little better.

mnsummer08043yz9.jpg

mnsummer08044pn6.jpg

mnsummer08046vz6.jpg

ab66bq6.jpg

Oh...and the final one...file cabinet miming eating a banana
mnsummer08037ey5.jpg

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Actually I didn't take many photos of the Taylors Falls area itself, because the lighting was pretty poor, and I didn't think there were many fantastic compositions to choose from. I'll add the ones I took, but I'll also add one from a few yrs ago, when the lighting was a little better.

Taking photography seriously can be a curse - because one no longer wants to take snaps to record occasions. They have to be composed and lit. Don't lose sight of the fun aspect of photos!

(I didn't even say anything about horizons, either, aren't I good :devil: )

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I do a bit more of a shotgun approach now due to digital cameras and really tiny memory cards that can hold hundreds to thousands of images... I'll take a bunch, even of the same thing, and pick the ones I like best. Thanks for the compliment. :)

Your image with the tree to the right is my favorite of the last set. Very nice.

#3 is now up in the air. I'm sure it's not a wood anemone, either. It appeared to be a white Ranunculus at first, but later I found that the small white flowering plants in Itasca at this/that time of year should be Hepatica. In any case, all three are related. It's definitely in the Ranunculaceae family, which includes #5.

#4 is correct.

#6... I've seen them so rarely that the numbers (way too numerous) and color threw me. They were always in blue and rather uncommon when I've seen them, and they always went unidentified. Thanks!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your image with the tree to the right is my favorite of the last set. Very nice.

Thank you!

#3 is now up in the air. I'm sure it's not a wood anemone, either. It appeared to be a white Ranunculus at first, but later I found that the small white flowering plants in Itasca at this/that time of year should be Hepatica. In any case, all three are related. It's definitely in the Ranunculaceae family, which includes #5.

Hmm...I'm quite doubtful of Hepatica. Here are some Hepatica photos I took last year. Hepatica has some characteristic leaf-shapes - notice the 3-pronged leaf that brackets the flower petals, which do not seem to match what your photo is showing. Hepatica is one of the first wildflowers up, before there is any other plant life coming out of the ground -- so it will come out through the dead leaves and you won't see much else around it -- and it will just appear to be a series of flowers on top of stems, without any noticeable leaves - since the leaves are only 3-pronged and underneath the petals.

ai52zj7.jpg

ai53uc4.jpg

By contrast, here is a Wood Anemone:
ah94tm7.jpg

And then a Rue Anemone just cause I was talking about it earlier :)
ah58eb4.jpg

#6... I've seen them so rarely that the numbers (way too numerous) and color threw me. They were always in blue and rather uncommon when I've seen them, and they always went unidentified. Thanks!

The blue columbines are a western species that is called Blue Columbine. :) I've seen them in the mountains, but they're definitely not natives of MN.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Sorry for not noticing this! Somehow it slipped under my radar last week...

I didn't think it was Hepatica, either, after checking up on it (silly me, trusting signs in state parks). The flower is very similar to the Wood Anemone, but the leaves are distinctly different. I'm still going to say that it's the same family, though.