User Tag List

First 234

Thread: MN trip notes

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Actually I didn't take many photos of the Taylors Falls area itself, because the lighting was pretty poor, and I didn't think there were many fantastic compositions to choose from. I'll add the ones I took, but I'll also add one from a few yrs ago, when the lighting was a little better.
    Taking photography seriously can be a curse - because one no longer wants to take snaps to record occasions. They have to be composed and lit. Don't lose sight of the fun aspect of photos!

(I didn't even say anything about horizons, either, aren't I good )

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I do a bit more of a shotgun approach now due to digital cameras and really tiny memory cards that can hold hundreds to thousands of images... I'll take a bunch, even of the same thing, and pick the ones I like best. Thanks for the compliment.

Your image with the tree to the right is my favorite of the last set. Very nice.

#3 is now up in the air. I'm sure it's not a wood anemone, either. It appeared to be a white Ranunculus at first, but later I found that the small white flowering plants in Itasca at this/that time of year should be Hepatica. In any case, all three are related. It's definitely in the Ranunculaceae family, which includes #5.

#4 is correct.

#6... I've seen them so rarely that the numbers (way too numerous) and color threw me. They were always in blue and rather uncommon when I've seen them, and they always went unidentified. Thanks!
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Your image with the tree to the right is my favorite of the last set. Very nice.
    Thank you!

#3 is now up in the air. I'm sure it's not a wood anemone, either. It appeared to be a white Ranunculus at first, but later I found that the small white flowering plants in Itasca at this/that time of year should be Hepatica. In any case, all three are related. It's definitely in the Ranunculaceae family, which includes #5.
    Hmm...I'm quite doubtful of Hepatica. Here are some Hepatica photos I took last year. Hepatica has some characteristic leaf-shapes - notice the 3-pronged leaf that brackets the flower petals, which do not seem to match what your photo is showing. Hepatica is one of the first wildflowers up, before there is any other plant life coming out of the ground -- so it will come out through the dead leaves and you won't see much else around it -- and it will just appear to be a series of flowers on top of stems, without any noticeable leaves - since the leaves are only 3-pronged and underneath the petals.

By contrast, here is a Wood Anemone:

And then a Rue Anemone just cause I was talking about it earlier :-)

#6... I've seen them so rarely that the numbers (way too numerous) and color threw me. They were always in blue and rather uncommon when I've seen them, and they always went unidentified. Thanks!
    The blue columbines are a western species that is called Blue Columbine. :-) I've seen them in the mountains, but they're definitely not natives of MN.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Sorry for not noticing this! Somehow it slipped under my radar last week...

I didn't think it was Hepatica, either, after checking up on it (silly me, trusting signs in state parks). The flower is very similar to the Wood Anemone, but the leaves are distinctly different. I'm still going to say that it's the same family, though.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.