Thread: MN trip notes

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Mississippi's route:

Approaching the headwaters:

First ducks on the Mississippi:

Where it all begins:

Now we're going to play a game of "Identify the flora in Wolf's Picture"...
    Flower 1:

Flower 2:

Flower 3, picture 1 (sun up, no rain):

Flower 3, picture 2 (afternoon, cloudy, raining lightly...it closes in these conditions):

Flower 4:

Flower 5:

And a conifer, with cones:

Last, but not least, here's some scenery from the park in the rain:
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Friday:
    - Recovered over much of the day.
    - Ate pitiful crap for lunch in there somewhere.
    - Discussed the plans for Saturday via text with file cabinet.
    - Went over to see Varelse and met her dad.
    - Ate dinner with her and her parents.
    - Hung out there until sometime after 2300 mainly talking to her dad/parents.

Saturday:
    - Dropped by file cabinet's place at 1045 or so, where I picked him and cascademn up.
    - Drove to Franconia Sculpture Park, where we wandered around looking at sculptures. For some reason the less formal meets with INTPs involve looking at artwork, especially sculptures, and often primarily of the found item variety. I'm reminded of the trip to the Albany Bulb, only it was much sunnier here.
    - I may have been the fastest one at climbing the post, in spite of my weight and size.
    - From there we went to Taylors Falls, where we obtained ice cream based beverages (one shake and two malts, one of which had extra malt powder but no cookie), I drank some root beer, and we all split a pizza with red sauce on it (one of us also applied white powder to the pizza before consumption). The naming conventions on the menu here were amusing. We were also informed that they were out of hotdogs, which ruined cascademn's day, because she was dreaming of a big, juicy, all-beef hotdog with pickles, sauerkraut, and horseradish sauce.
    - The pickle jar disturbed us and kept us from eating pie. We also learned about marketing and diapers (thanks, file cabinet!)
    - Went to the park next door and rented a canoe, which we paddled down to Osceola. We beached the boat to check out a couple islands, were amused by the amount of interest some crazy/noisy people had for a crappy little sand bar, and took quite a few pictures (many of which were silly). Somehow we avoided losing anyone in the dark waters of the St Croix River...
    - We found at least four ticks, but none of us were bitten by them. I thought I would be the only one, but then cascademn found one wandering on her. This made me feel a bit better since someone that should be familiar with them also collected some. They're curious little creatures, slowly crawling over your clothes and body with their tiny crustacean-like short legs looking for a place to stop, insert their barbed mouth, and suck out your blood. Since I saw my first one on this trip, I have also learned more about them than I'd ever known. Apparently they won't bite you if you pick them up with your hand. Only people that are familiar with them would know this, though.
    - Failed to avoid the sun enough and got myself a sunburn.
    - Walked/hiked/jumped around the St Croix pothole/lava flow area up the road from the canoe rental place.
    - On the way back to St Paul I heard a confirmed tornado siren for the first time.
    - Confirmed that I actually have been growing recently.
    - The storm that caused the tornado sirens came this way and the sirens went off here... A little concerning, but not enough to really do anything.
    - I'm pretty sure one of those islands was at least partially in Wisconsin, and would have been my first time ever in the state. We definitely crossed the border in the canoe.

My trip is now winding down. I fly back home this evening at 1920 CDT, so I drop the car off sometime after 1700 today...

I suspect that cascademn will post some pictures when she gets a chance, and I have some that I'll probably be posting soon...

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Now we're going to play a game of "Identify the flora in Wolf's Picture"...
    Flower 1:
    That'd be a white trillium! There were a number growing around the drive way of my canadian holiday cottage, last week!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    That'd be a white trillium! There were a number growing around the drive way of my canadian holiday cottage, last week!
    Precisely.

Mmmff, my parents keep stealing him. Do not want.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    We were also informed that they were out of hotdogs, which ruined cascademn's day, because she was dreaming of a big, juicy, all-beef hotdog with pickles, sauerkraut, and horseradish sauce.
    Oh, I see you know me so well.

- The pickle jar disturbed us and kept us from eating pie.
    Indeed it did.

Went to the park next door and rented a canoe, which we paddled down to Osceola. We beached the boat to check out a couple islands, were amused by the amount of interest some crazy/noisy people had for a crappy little sand bar, and took quite a few pictures (many of which were silly).
    What? We took silly pictures???

- We found at least four ticks, but none of us were bitten by them. I thought I would be the only one, but then cascademn found one wandering on her. This made me feel a bit better since someone that should be familiar with them also collected some. They're curious little creatures, slowly crawling over your clothes and body with their tiny crustacean-like short legs looking for a place to stop, insert their barbed mouth, and suck out your blood. Since I saw my first one on this trip, I have also learned more about them than I'd ever known. Apparently they won't bite you if you pick them up with your hand. Only people that are familiar with them would know this, though.
    Correction: There were at least 3-4 that I pulled off of me.

(And it takes them a good couple of hours to find a suitable burrowing spot, so it's a slow process and they won't 'bite' you right away)

- Walked/hiked/jumped around the St Croix pothole/lava flow area up the road from the canoe rental place.
    Lava flow area?? I'm pretty sure those rock formations weren't caused by lava flow.....

Excellent trip synopsis!! The only thing you neglected to mention was how awesome I am at doing handstands -- I am SO much better than file cabinet.

I suspect that cascademn will post some pictures when she gets a chance, and I have some that I'll probably be posting soon...
    And here some are!

Wolf and file cabinet standing by the creepy sculptures...

Wolf and I chillin' on an interactive sculpture

Wolf practicing his paddling skillz in preparation for the formidable St. Croix

file cabinet trying to block Wolf from the picture

Moi -- and oh, incidentally, Wolf mentioned numerous times how he is an 'old man' - which was rather an insult to me, since I'm nearly 3 yrs older than he!! Hmmph. I'm still young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the scenery - this is the Wisconsin side of the river

file cabinet sensing his distant ancestry of tree-dwellers

Our canoe

Oh! As for your flowers, 2 is some type of violet, 3 is possibly a Rue Anemone, 4 is possibly a Sessile Bellwort, and 5 is Marsh Marigold
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Moi -- and oh, incidentally, Wolf mentioned numerous times how he is an 'old man' - which was rather an insult to me, since I'm nearly 3 yrs older than he!! Hmmph. I'm still young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe you are both referring to your real ages, not the physical number of years (and I'd say yes, you are both right.. you are young and he is old!)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    Mmmff, my parents keep stealing him. Do not want.
    They seemed so very curious about me. *sighs*

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Oh, I see you know me so well.
    Absolutely! I don't think anyone other than Varelse bothered to read the Wednesday entry...

Correction: There were at least 3-4 that I pulled off of me.

(And it takes them a good couple of hours to find a suitable burrowing spot, so it's a slow process and they won't 'bite' you right away)
    Congratulations! You collected more of them than I did that day, in spite of my bushwhacking.

Excellent trip synopsis!! The only thing you neglected to mention was how awesome I am at doing handstands -- I am SO much better than file cabinet.
    How could I forget that?

Some of the scenery - this is the Wisconsin side of the river
    I took almost the exact same picture!

file cabinet sensing his distant ancestry of tree-dwellers
    What happened to the really good one with him in the tree? I wish it would have snapped a split second earlier, though.

Our canoe
    Very nice picture! You could hang that one on the wall.

Oh! As for your flowers, 2 is some type of violet, 3 is possibly a Rue Anemone, 4 is possibly a Sessile Bellwort, and 5 is Marsh Marigold
    #2 is a Violet. I'll accept that, since it could be pretty difficult to identify. It's a western dog violet, which also grows in Western Montana, Yellowstone, Washington, and British Columbia, all of which are places I've found them before.
    #3 is incorrect.
    #4 is a Bellwort, but you're off on the variety. The size (see smaller #3 in the background), form, and known location should make it easy...
    #5 is correct.

yo where the handstand pics at

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Saturday's Pictures...

Franconia Sculpture Park:

cascademn noted that this looked like a pile of excrement from a distance... file cabinet and I thought it was neat. You decide...

Another scuplture, with clouds:

...I see a little silhouetto of a member...

...SCARAMOUCHE, SCARAMOUCHE is file cabinet trying to do the Fandango?

file cabinet on a stick:

cascademn on a stick:

...and, me on a stick:

St Croix State Park:

The first island in the middle of the river that we decided to land on (no ticks here):

Here is file cabinet wearing a life preserver, though we're not sure why:

Here I am at the top of the island. They thought this was an accomplishment similar to my project, but it just gave me a good view of those silly people that were excessively interested in their sand bar:

This is the rock formation from cascademn's picture, only from the opposite side so as to avoid duplicates:

file cabinet trying to block cascademn from the picture with his paddle, much like the picture she has, except from the other direction in the canoe:

file cabinet doing a handstand:

cascademn totally showing file cabinet up with her clearly-superior handstand:

Trees and clouds, in the Taylors Falls area that we hiked around:

Another flower to identify! Believe it or not, I don't know what this one is...

cascademn should have a bunch of really good pictures of the Taylors Falls area, too, so I didn't post all of mine.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Excellent photos Wolf! Thanks for sharing. And thank you for acknowledging my handstand superiority. hehe.

So I did a after I listed Rue Anemone as flower 3 -- I have a photo of Rue Anemone myself and it's SO not a Rue Anemone (well..obviously), cause of the foliage. My real guess is Wood Anemone.

Flower 4 - Large-flowered Bellwort.

The yellow and red flower is a Wild Columbine. They are pretty common in MN; I'm not sure how widespread they are throughout the rest of the U.S., although I feel like I've seen them quite a few places.

Actually I didn't take many photos of the Taylors Falls area itself, because the lighting was pretty poor, and I didn't think there were many fantastic compositions to choose from. I'll add the ones I took, but I'll also add one from a few yrs ago, when the lighting was a little better.

Oh...and the final one...file cabinet miming eating a banana
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ