User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

INTJs experience everything in a hardcore, totally immersed way, albeit not in a typical style. The most important thing of note is the whole obsessiveness thing-that perpetually massive willpower is being devoted to something self-destructive-so that willpower and focus has to be somehow be redirected into something positive, regardless of the logical and philosophical reasons ("It's not a solution, it's a placebo" etc.)

Depressed INTJs aren't so much astoundingly sad as they are total zombies.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    INTJ

well, I was in a really deep rut of depression and God delivered me from that, thankfully. But as for the whole not feeling anything, I totally understand. I wish I could really do something significant with my life right now, but I'm in college, and I just feel like I'm in a transitioning state, not really getting anywhere.....

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by FallsPioneer View Post
    INTJs experience everything in a hardcore, totally immersed way, albeit not in a typical style. The most important thing of note is the whole obsessiveness thing-that perpetually massive willpower is being devoted to something self-destructive-so that willpower and focus has to be somehow be redirected into something positive, regardless of the logical and philosophical reasons ("It's not a solution, it's a placebo" etc.)

Depressed INTJs aren't so much astoundingly sad as they are total zombies.
    I always felt I was such an oddball for being so intense. When I want to learn about anything, I plunge in headfirst and don't come out of it until I feel I understand everything clearly. One of my exes was amazed I was always into and learning something new all the time. Sorry, for the tangent.

Zombie is totally right. I just go through the motions and most aspects in my life are stagnant. It's best to never let depression creep up on you in the first place.

MBTI
    INTx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Comparing

I'm a 19-year-old INTJ with bipolar disorder, and I've found that during the periods when I've dealt with depression I've experienced both the depression of deep sadness and that of flat gnawing boredom (this later often while under the effects of mood stabilizers.) In my opinion, though the deep sadness feels like its gnawing a hole through you; it isn't as bad as feeling like a dead man walking.

As a somewhat off-topic note I figure I'll also give a bit of commentary on my experience with mania. I'm no stranger to skipping a night of sleep here or there, but when I was in a manic state I didn't sleep at all for 3 days straight, and after that only with the assistance of large doses of sleep meds (and even then I onl got around 4 hours a day.) My mood cycled between blind euphoria, intense adgitation, and fear over my conditions, which included visual and auditory hallucinations. Finally, it ended when anti-mania and anti-psychotic combined to knocked me out for 18 hours and the ensuing depression led me to turn myself in at the emergency room before I did anything harmful.

I've found that exercise is one of the only things that can really get my mind off depression, endorphins are magnificent.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

When I have a depressive episode my tertiary Fi and inferior Se tend to emerge in very negative ways while my auxiliary Te tends to be suppressed, turning me into an emotional, sobbing, worrying, self-medicating wreck that can't get anything done.
    Autistic INFP

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    When I have a depressive episode my tertiary Fi and inferior Se tend to emerge in very negative ways while my auxiliary Te tends to be suppressed, turning me into an emotional, sobbing, worrying, self-medicating wreck that can't get anything done.
    +1

I might add that during these times is when I've made some of the worst mistakes of my life - completely irrational and most often sensory related. (Over drinking, sex, reckless behaviour)

I can't seem to accomplish anything in this state, the 'zombie' rings true. On the outside I may appear to be alive and moving, but inside I'm in a state of either numb thoughtlessness, or anxious worry.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I'm on anti-depressives, they help me feel disconnected from the sense of what is "my life". They stopped me being a suicidal alcoholic and I also stopped feeling like crying for no reason.

What helped more, and actually turned my mind positive was that I've just started a new project in a completely new work environment, which seems (at the moment) to have endless opportunities and excitement.

MBTI
    INTJ

I know where everyone is coming from, here. When I get depressed I do it hardcore. Usually I just switch off and go almost cataleptic until I've untangled everything. That can take a while because I can't plan things out if I don't have a clear head, and I don't have a clear head if I haven't planned things out. After a good sulk I can usually sleep it off, and I feel really chipper the next day.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

MBTI
    INTJ

When I am depressed I tend to internalize everything. It usually manifests as chest aches, sneezing, coughing, and general apathy all around. It's tough for me to deal with depressive episodes.

However, I found what helps me is:
    Extraverting myself. It really helps. Not necessarily sharing your feeling directly with other people, but taking on projects with groups of people. Distract yourself from depression by working with others towards a common goal. That's what I do, I hope it helps DM.

MBTI
    INTJ

Fully agree that extroverting oneself helps in this case. I had a depression long before I knew I'm an INTJ and intuitively found the way out via opening to my family. Then I tried to analyze it and it looked like this:

Your "I" makes you hide and spend even more time on your own.
    Your "N" brings you dark visions and all possible scenarios to sad ending. You spend more and more time drawing them out in your mind, caring about all the details, loosing yourself so much that those visions seem real.
    Your "T" says your state is nobody's fault by yours, depression is a natual selection to eliminate the weak and you were selected. You want to hide even more, so you don't bother others with your state - they will not understand, anyway, and will laugh you out.
    Your "J" says that you're wasting your time and should put your energy in something more productive. And you feel guilty.

I guess that Pink Floyd was very good in portraining INTJ / INTP in depression. "The Wall" album is good in describing the whole picture, including "The Trial" song, which shows the way out. And "The Final Cut" song is more or less how I felt wondering if I should open myself to people or not.

Hope it helps.