• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Behold! The ENTP infected with love.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Agreed. I think adding function theory to emotional evaluation is mostly to avoid actually evaluating emotions.

Yes. This person's problem isn't overactive Ne+Ti, it's that approaching an attractive person massively raises anxiety levels. The anxiety is the underlying issue. An ENTP man is just as capable of seeing a woman and saying "she's hot, I'm going to see if I can convince her to sleep with me" and approaching as anyone else. An ESTP man with significant anxiety issues surrounding women is just as likely to get trapped in looping thoughts while trying to analyze every aspect of the attractive woman. This is because it a standard response to anxiety shared by all members of humanity who get anxious.

You can't analyze or describe emotions, you can only feel them. It is phenomenological in the same sense that the perception of color is. You can talk about neurotransmitters in just the same way that you do wavelengths of light, but those only speak to triggering mechanisms, and do not describe the experiential character of emotion and color, respectively.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why is it (Ti-understanding?) antithetical to trying to understand another person? Perhaps I do not quite grasp the quality or depth of Ti-driven understanding, but I feel like it would be flattering and possibly even calming to have another person trying to understand in that manner. There is a point where you just realize not everything about humans is logical?

I am certainly Fi-driven but I also feel I relate to some of the things that poster was talking about.

Coming late to the party (as usual) but, Ti is about being detached. It's used very much like a device. Standing back, building a model of understanding. Construction materials courtesy of Ne. And yes, there is a point where a Ti-dom or aux realizes that everything about humans is not logical. It is a moment of horror, hopelessness, and profound confusion. It can also be a moment of clarity, change, and wonder.

I have a difficult time resisting analyzing everything I encounter. I'm convinced there is meaning, a pattern, and order in there, if I just poke, prod, and mess with it enough. Then I will "understand". I'm also old enough to know that some things cannot be understood (I can't believe I just said that!) and that it can even be a road to nowhere because it won't solve anything. There have been too many times when I was trying too hard to understand, missed everything, when I should have just experienced.

KDude

I don't care about the patterns or some grand puzzle to unlock. The whole idea is kind of broken to me..it's always been broken. If I can't change it, I might as well do something else. Work on self improvement or something. Not "relationship improvement". Who knows, maybe that'll take me somewhere new, and I can revisit relationships. This is me resigning to saying it can't be understood. At the same time, I don't care to drop my guard and take some "leap of faith". "Oh, how I just need someone to complete me!" No, I don't. Maybe INTPs have greater ideals about it that push them there, without a sense of understanding.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heh, hard.

Idk =\ being a girl, I'm sure your pursuits are slightly different than mine. I don't know how the typical man would react with intensity that us ENTP's can exude. I, personally, enjoy intensive feedback in the same manner I give it. Any more would probably turn me off, any less as well.

My largest concern right now is when sex will be introduced into the relationship... I'm dating so many people, but I don't know who to 'choose', or if I should even 'choose', or what...

I've hurt people in the past about my selections with no to little intent of pursuit regarding a relationship, I feel guilty for things like that five years later...

You are going to be hurt and hurt others in dating. Even if your actions during dating were with everyone's best intentions. Everyone should accept that. It's easier to handle when it happens. No surprises. No guilt.

W

WALMART

You are going to be hurt and hurt others in dating. Even if your actions during dating were with everyone's best intentions. Everyone should accept that. It's easier to handle when it happens. No surprises. No guilt.

Hmmm, I'm glad you said that without me even going into detail.

So people just get hurt. It's gonna take me a while to get used to that one.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Coming late to the party (as usual) but, Ti is about being detached. It's used very much like a device. Standing back, building a model of understanding. Construction materials courtesy of Ne. And yes, there is a point where a Ti-dom or aux realizes that everything about humans is not logical. It is a moment of horror, hopelessness, and profound confusion. It can also be a moment of clarity, change, and wonder.

I have a difficult time resisting analyzing everything I encounter. I'm convinced there is meaning, a pattern, and order in there, if I just poke, prod, and mess with it enough. Then I will "understand". I'm also old enough to know that some things cannot be understood (I can't believe I just said that!) and that it can even be a road to nowhere because it won't solve anything. There have been too many times when I was trying too hard to understand, missed everything, when I should have just experienced.

Yes totally this is how it looks from the outside too.

W

WALMART

Are you being sarcastic, rude or neither?

Neither =( very appreciative, actually....

it seems everyone always takes what i say the wrong way. i wonder what's wrong with me. read my wall posts, people are always.... idk. i suck i guess.

what i mean was that there is more detail that would put my perspective into a favorable light, such as when i was pursuing sexual encounters with these females i had no intent of hurting them. i just grew... bored. and moved on. but they didn't. so to this day i feel guilty for it. but i didn't feel like going into depth. yet you still understood, without me telling, so it felt awesome.

i guess i just come across in a very sarcastic manner. i really don't know.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

it seems everyone always takes what i say the wrong way. i wonder what's wrong with me. read my wall posts, people are always.... idk. i suck i guess.

what i mean was that there is more detail that would put my perspective into a favorable light, such as when i was pursuing sexual encounters with these females i had no intent of hurting them. i just grew... bored. and moved on. but they didn't. so to this day i feel guilty for it. but i didn't feel like going into depth. yet you still understood, without me telling, so it felt awesome.

i guess i just come across in a very sarcastic manner. i really don't know.

Ok. No worries. I'm not good at getting tone from NT's on here. One could read it a number of ways which is why I ask. :)

About your post: Always dilute the details of a relationship in the aftermath. They really are built to converge into simple terms. You either like them enough or you don't. People get hung up on the 'enough' part and the guilt settles there but it's all or nothing each time you date. No guilt for reaching a conclusion faster than the other person. Lol.

W

WALMART

Ok. No worries. I'm not good at getting tone from NT's on here. One could read it a number of ways which is why I ask. :)

About your post: Always dilute the details of a relationship in the aftermath. They really are built to converge into simple terms. You either like them enough or you don't. People get hung up on the 'enough' part and the guilt settles there but it's all or nothing each time you date. No guilt for reaching a conclusion faster than the other person. Lol.

i'm gonna change my sig to, "always assume the best!" lol.

lol, too funny, that last sentence. yeah. another thing i need to learn to do is not stay friends with ex's. i haven't really had enough to constitute that deep of thinking, but i feel it would be for the better.

KDude

I think this stuff might be related more (or just as much) to inner perception than Fi. "Do I see myself with this person?" That sort of thing. Those moments when you're hanging out and suddenly see yourself from the outside.. if you don't recognize who you are in that picture, it's time to get out. Maybe the best type of relationship is one where you still recognize yourself.

I need to elaborate on this, but I probably won't.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol, too funny, that last sentence. yeah. another thing i need to learn to do is not stay friends with ex's. i haven't really had enough to constitute that deep of thinking, but i feel it would be for the better.

I would agree.

Elusivity

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just as a word of caution - that article seems to confuse Fi with the emotions themselves. Emotions are on a different, more primal layer, and the cognitive functions of Fi and Ti only come into play when we try to evaluate those emotions.

Consider emotions as the forest. Fi is in the middle of the forest, and can tell you minute details about the color and texture of the bark, and become hypnotized by how the leaves sway in the wind. But... it can lose perspective of the forest. Ti is outside and above the forest, and sees the forest much more clearly, but struggles with seeing the individual trees.

I love your analogy! While the article was hilarious, I was struggling with this exact same point.

All human beings have emotions. When the author wrote about experiencing Fi via Ti, I understand it to mean he finally got access to the raw emotions that Ti-users are so good at neglecting and ignoring (in order to maximize Ti). It doesn't necessarily mean he has Fi, except in the sense that Fi is composed of and experienced through emotions.

I've had a similar experience though and can empathize. For a while I too, thought I had access to both Ti and Fi and what a special snowflake that made me..!! Since then, I've realized it simply meant I was very alienated from my own feelings, and experienced their manifestation like some weird obtrusion from the 5th dimension.

Love is hard for everyone. We are all trying to connect, and the level of miscommunication /misunderstanding can be amazing to behold. Time and patience and an open mind is the only way.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That guy is hilarious. I wonder how long before he goes back to fucking.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I think this stuff might be related more (or just as much) to inner perception than Fi. "Do I see myself with this person?" That sort of thing. Those moments when you're hanging out and suddenly see yourself from the outside.. if you don't recognize who you are in that picture, it's time to get out. Maybe the best type of relationship is one where you still recognize yourself.

I need to elaborate on this, but I probably won't.

no need to elaborate. it makes sense to me.

it happened to me too for a while. id bet it was the panda avatar.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know about anything else, but the article lumping all S types together kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Big difference in an ESFP and an ISTJ, for example. I guarantee most ISTJs aren't particularly good at "catching" the opposite sex. Big difference in Se and Si, and in extraversion and introversion in general, and of course thinking and feeling.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
After all, Fi is great. It’s the gooey source of real feelings, rather than polite obligations.

lold, this guy doesent know what Fi is, he is clearly confusing F function with emotions/affects, typical rookie mistake. then he even claims that they are the source of Fi, which is just ludicrous. also ENTPs have their F attitude extraverted, not introverted, meaning that they use Fe, not Fi.