• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Behold! The ENTP infected with love.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
To be honest, I didn't even read the original article fully. Must've missed the unique snowflake bit.

No worries. I don't recall once ever reading that term in the article, and I've read it numerous times. The first time I saw it used was in this thread, so I took it to mean that some read it as his believing ENTPs think they're special by having this problem. If I'm wrong about it being used, and it was said seriously, I'd like to have it pointed out.

Personally, I think that deeming his writing that article as his thinking his type is special would mean that every thread on this forum is saying the same damned thing about THEIR type.

for many, i believe it is for being correct.

That would be awesome. Not having the problem, of course, but identifying a potential for one that wasn't touched on before, so that we can learn from it. Something, I for one, absolutely treasure.

I know I have problems, and attempting to solve them in order to eradicate anything that may be holding me back in life is top priority. Always. And, if I can help someone else that's just as interested? Quantum awesomeness.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I apologize in case that was harsh, I'm sure your intentions are good. I didn't criticize you, just the article. But if it gave people some food for thought, then I guess it was a worthwhile read.

My intentions with this thread are nothing but good. Not only for those who can relate to how love effects them, but hopefully it may help those who are the ones being loved. I even said so in my OP.

We're cool. :)

W

WALMART

very interesting take on the objectiveness of the common man's perception.

gromit

likes this
The more we care (love) the more determined we are to understand. But, being that it's in the Fi realm, we trip, stumble, become even more determined, etc.

Unfortunately, it's not a project, computer problem, or grand scheme, it's a person, and one can only have so much information to work with there.

Why is it (Ti-understanding?) antithetical to trying to understand another person? Perhaps I do not quite grasp the quality or depth of Ti-driven understanding, but I feel like it would be flattering and possibly even calming to have another person trying to understand in that manner. There is a point where you just realize not everything about humans is logical?

I am certainly Fi-driven but I also feel I relate to some of the things that poster was talking about.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um. I'm so bad at this, not I'm not even sure what my question is. My main issue though, if I look at my past experiences, is dealing with those with Fi. No doubt because that's my main weakness. Can you do anything with that?

Just as a word of caution - that article seems to confuse Fi with the emotions themselves. Emotions are on a different, more primal layer, and the cognitive functions of Fi and Ti only come into play when we try to evaluate those emotions.

Consider emotions as the forest. Fi is in the middle of the forest, and can tell you minute details about the color and texture of the bark, and become hypnotized by how the leaves sway in the wind. But... it can lose perspective of the forest. Ti is outside and above the forest, and sees the forest much more clearly, but struggles with seeing the individual trees.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this recently and related too well. So, I offer it to you, my fellow ENTPs to do with as you will, as I know you would anyway, and to those who have been unfortunate enough to be the recipient of our affections.

ENTP and the mystery of Fi.

that's awesome. i am now totally convinced my ex was an entp. i always used to say he ti'd his fi to death.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Why is it (Ti-understanding?) antithetical to trying to understand another person? Perhaps I do not quite grasp the quality or depth of Ti-driven understanding, but I feel like it would be flattering and possibly even calming to have another person trying to understand in that manner. There is a point where you just realize not everything about humans is logical?

I am certainly Fi-driven but I also feel I relate to some of the things that poster was talking about.

Just as a word of caution - that article seems to confuse Fi with the emotions themselves. Emotions are on a different, more primal layer, and the cognitive functions of Fi and Ti only come into play when we try to evaluate those emotions.

Consider emotions as the forest. Fi is in the middle of the forest, and can tell you minute details about the color and texture of the bark, and become hypnotized by how the leaves sway in the wind. But... it can lose perspective of the forest. Ti is outside and above the forest, and sees the forest much more clearly, but struggles with seeing the individual trees.

Okay, in order to have a conversation with you guys, I must first go to the wiki again and try to learn your language. I'll be back.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yuuuup.

gromit

likes this
Okay, in order to have a conversation with you guys, I must first go to the wiki again and try to learn your language. I'll be back.

No need to learn a language, just use English! :)

Did you find the questions in my post unclear? I guess I just wanted a bit more understanding of what you meant by what you had posted before. For context, here was my reaction to the thread:

The way you and [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] were describing feelings earlier in the thread was quite lovely and sweet, to me. As I had mentioned, I imagine it would be flattering to have someone pay that kind of attention to me, trying to understand where I'm coming from and what everything means. So, that said, I guess I am just curious where precisely you see the problem, from the Ti perspective, how you feel that Ti is inhibiting what you might like to experience in terms of a relationship (?) Because also, feeling like you might not act appropriately or at the wrong time or too strongly or that you over-analyze is something I think most introspective people experience at some point (that is what I relate to from the article).

I guess, asked another way, what specifically do you perceive in Fi that you would like to have or understand?

Anyway, I've tried to be as clear as possible here, hopefully it makes more sense to you now.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
ENTP: I HAZ ONLY 10 MEENUTE
ENTP: BUT HAI
ENTP: hope you're feeling better!
ENTP: just imagine that I was in the freezer for awhile
ENTP: and just rub me against your head
ENTP: let my cooled flesh soothe you
ENTP: : DDDDDDDDDDDDD
ENTP: yeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyeyey
ENTP: shoot, gotta run a bit early
ENTP: baiiiiiiiiiiii ;D

My ENTP boyfriend. I thought it was a particularly brilliant example of our utterly retarded and affectionate interactions with one another.

Typical.

Oh and I had a headache the night before. Rofl.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's the functions that I don't have memorized, much less exercised their meanings in enough contexts to fully communicate well with them. However, after a bit of reading, I can already see your points. Both you and UDog.

Since you're here though and clarified, which I appreciate as it did help, I'll answer you. The Ti can be very wrong when dealing with those with strong Fi when my strength is Fe. It can become frustrated easily when in love because it's intensified in its importance. So, the two together can be disastrous. Causing me to see connections where none exist then having them repeat themselves instead of being able to break free from what SEEMS logical to ME temporarily (because I'm grasping for logic and so go for the first and most obvious conclusion in that moment), but isn't at all to the Fi of the other.

Without knowing how to read their minds, DAMNIT, being in love can cause stress, serious stress, which clings to logic found in patterns seen in past cause/effect situations that in actuality have no basis in reality.

Love causes extreme stress (shit got real), mind no longer relaxes and 'plays' with theories which lead to questioning and normal routes of learning, and is replaced with silent analysis. A ridiculous overly serious analysis in an attempt to 'know' already! It no longer plays and learns as it normally does, but wants to know everything NOW and comes to wrong conclusions in an order, I suppose, to end the stress. Or freezes altogether and detaches. Unable to relax again until I'm more secure or feel safer in that love. So that my normal way of thinking returns. It's just getting there that is the issue.

Sound cute? Sounds like a friggen freak show to me.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I found this recently and related too well. So, I offer it to you, my fellow ENTPs to do with as you will, as I know you would anyway, and to those who have been unfortunate enough to be the recipient of our affections.

ENTP and the mystery of Fi.

Great. This just about brought me to tears. I wish I could hate him and make him go away forever, but now I just feel like a Jude without a Robert.

At first, I thought you had written this, kitten. Where did you find it?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Great. This just about brought me to tears. I wish I could hate him and make him go away forever, but now I just feel like a Jude without a Robert.

At first, I thought you had written this, kitten. Where did you find it?

Not surprisingly, I found it googling "ENTP in love".

gromit

likes this
It's the functions that I don't have memorized, much less exercised their meanings in enough contexts to fully communicate well with them. However, after a bit of reading, I can already see your points. Both you and UDog.

Since you're here though and clarified, which I appreciate as it did help, I'll answer you. The Ti can be very wrong when dealing with those with strong Fi when my strength is Fe. It can become frustrated easily when in love because it's intensified in its importance. So, the two together can be disastrous. Causing me to see connections where none exist then having them repeat themselves instead of being able to break free from what SEEMS logical to ME temporarily (because I'm grasping for logic and so go for the first and most obvious conclusion in that moment), but isn't at all to the Fi of the other.

Without knowing how to read their minds, DAMNIT, being in love can cause stress, serious stress, which clings to logic found in patterns seen in past cause/effect situations that in actuality have no basis in reality.

Love causes extreme stress (shit got real), mind no longer relaxes and 'plays' with theories which lead to questioning and normal routes of learning, and is replaced with silent analysis. A ridiculous overly serious analysis in an attempt to 'know' already! It no longer plays and learns as it normally does, but wants to know everything NOW and comes to wrong conclusions in an order, I suppose, to end the stress. Or freezes altogether and detaches. Unable to relax again until I'm more secure or feel safer in that love. So that my normal way of thinking returns. It's just getting there that is the issue.

Don't worry I don't really feel I can communicate well with or about functions either.

I would not say cute, but I wouldn't say freak show either. Sounds like emotional vulnerability coupled with painful miscommunication (perhaps insecurity/uncertainty about the situation?), which I agree is hard to deal with, but lots of people feel that way! For me, honesty and partner feedback are very important for communication. For example, even as simple as "I'm feeling so confused right now, I don't want to leap to conclusions and I don't want to say something I regret, I need you to give me a little time and space to process" is tremendously helpful. If my INFP ex had had the presence of mind to do or say that kind of thing instead of going all sullen and detached then maybe we could have worked through some issues better. (edit: don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a lot I could have done too)

Also, my sister and I were talking the other day, about a reservoir of trust, how building that reservoir with another person can carry you through miscommunciations and misunderstanding until you get to the other side of it.

Last edited:
W

WALMART

I would argue the article regards the convection of emotion and how intent is displayed, but I understand what you mean. Different strokes.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Calling it cute is the sort of NF - NT patronizing that I'm not particularly fond of, but I never once thought it looked like a freak show, either. You're invested in this guy in a way you aren't used to investing in people, and I think the fact that you're willing to work with the emotions is pretty great.

Reading each other's minds isn't really something that happens quickly with INFPs and ENTPs, despite the shared Ne. It's a relationship of exploration, and not always to easy places, either. But the great thing about exploration is that you never know what you'll discover, and some of those things can be pretty amazing.

/idealistic gook

Also, my sister and I were talking the other day, about a reservoir of trust, how building that reservoir with another person can carry you through miscommunciations and misunderstanding until you get to the other side of it.

This is so true.

I would argue the article regards the convection of emotion and how intent is displayed, but I understand what you mean. Different strokes.

The article did a great job describing the "convection of emotion", but when he says something like "After all, Fi is great. It’s the gooey source of real feelings, rather than polite obligations.", he's not quite getting the vocabulary right. A minor thing, but can lead people astray if they start picking the article apart.

Not that ENTPs are likely to obsessively dissect an idea to death or anything... :whistling:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
One bit of advice to anyone who'll hear it: when doing work on emotions, do yourself a favor and toss function preference theory out the window. It's far too analytical to be of use in learning more about a holistic, partially subconscious aspect of ourselves.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One bit of advice to anyone who'll hear it: when doing work on emotions, do yourself a favor and toss function preference theory out the window. It's far too analytical to be of use in learning more about a holistic, partially subconscious aspect of ourselves.

Agreed. I think adding function theory to emotional evaluation is mostly to avoid actually evaluating emotions.