• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Behold! The ENTP infected with love.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahahaha.... Yes... let me have another cup of coffee and maybe I'll try again :)

Thanks! Please, when doing so, talk to me like I'm completely stupid regarding functions. I'll get so much more out of it.

To everyone else, feel free to do the same.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Typology is being used wrong all over the place in that blog; the perv sensor caricature was just the most evident. The special snowflake syndrome has compromised the whole point.
/party pooper
Ok, carry on.

Yeah, I got that it was being used wrong. I've seen it play out a lot on forums, etc. too, but what I didn't get was how it's relevant to the link. I know he used an S as his 'nemesis' who did much better, but I didn't see him doing it in such a way that it was an insult. More like a compliment to their competence. Unless, I'm forgetting something that was said in it. That's possible.

However, I'M not doing that. I'M not saying anything bad about S's at all. That has nothing to do with what I'm hoping to learn.

KDude

I must've experienced only the despair and paranoia varieties. Ahem. I hate even admitting that btw. I'm curious what Steph has to say too.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't help what I'm attracted to anymore than others can. Sometimes, what a person is attracted to, like say a deep thinker, etc., happens to come in a package that has Fi leading things. It's possible! What, you've never been attracted to someone that confused you in some way? Did it stop the attraction? Did it stop you? I'm not the type to back away from a challenge. I'm more the solve-it-and-conquer-the-problem type gal.

Oh I get that, and yes, I am attracted myself to logical people so I get the frustration. The thing is..I tend to crave trust in a relationship (and yes, it has gotten me burned), so that means that when we encounter an issue that is more suited to their T...I trust them and will provide support while they solve it. :thinking:
Perhaps it is my F that allows me to trust in that? I dunno..I just automatically delegate it, coz it would be insane to try my hand at it, especially if its a timesensitive or important issue, when I can trust someone who is likely to be way better at it than me to take care of it with my help...right?

What if there is a problem? Say, you KNOW you love someone, but an issue pops up. For instance, a floundering ENTP gets neurotic over something and there's a problem with communicating about it, making it look like an even larger issue. Then, it seems like since the love is based on 'feeling' then it could cause it to seem hopeless when it's actually not. Or, do I have that wrong? How could one communicate that it's temporary and just because it would seem larger if it were them (the Fi who normally wouldn't have the problem), it's actually not for the ENTP and is totally solvable? Perceptions are at work here, see? And, it's a pretty common one.

The negative associations could cause a back lash in your relationship yes. At this point, it is helpful to have an F who actually does do reflecting on how their F works on your side. As they will see the core of it, and be able to seperate out all the emotions. Emotions after all are just fleeting. They go away eventually. Love is made up out of more than just those emotions. Your love for another person doesnt change just because you have a fight, or because they happen to go apeshit over something...unless they in the process push some serious triggers, or insecurities in yourself and you get flooded and overwhelmed.

One thing I try to keep in mind (and oddly, it was my INTj who taught me that), is that..the argument itself is something to solve together. Throwing personal insults around or taking things personally isnt going to solve *anything*. The other person in this argument with you *loves* you. Otherwise yo uwouldnt be together. There is no reason to assume they are out to get you. Even if the situation would seem that way due to amped up frustrations or emotions. It often helps to disengage from the conflict and reaffirm first that you arent out to get them. That you do love them, and acknowledge that you are feeling frustrated at the situation, and that your negative emotions arent as much directed at the whole person, but at the result of their actions (which you understand were not intended to harm you!). Intend and outcome are very different to an Fi-user. For Fe people they are closely knit together, I find..but for a Fi-user, intent and who you are are one and the same, often. It is their identity. To assume their intent was to harm you, is to assume they are intentionally evil to you. And that wounds us to our core. Damages trust. Stuff like that.

So, if you can make it very clear that it is the situation that is making you this neurotic (acknowledging ownership and awareness, as well as your own feelings basically), you will find often that you have a supporting partner on your side to resolve the situation, instead of an enemy to battle while dealing with the situation which can only end in lose-lose for both parties.

...again, I have *no* idea if Im on the right track, so lemme know if Im going in the right direction here :D

I wouldn't argue this. I have no idea, and so can only trust you that you know yourself. What I take away from it though, is that I should do just that. Trust that the other person knows.

Much like us Fs will trust you that you can intuitively see logical stuff which we need a lot more time for to process, yes :)

Fair enough. I wouldn't ask someone to give me more than what they have when it comes to explaining their feelings for me, but others very well might, so it's great that you've made it clear. I have been a horrible one about not taking deep breathes first before speaking though, and just saying some theoretical thought that comes to mind and having them think it is a well-thought out comment. When in reality, it's just a tentative observation. Worse, when it comes to love/emotions and I REALLY shouldn't say a lot of it because I have to work it out much more before truly being settled on what I believe is true.

You are an extravert though..and if you truly trust your partner, you could benefit from using them as a sounding board. Thats how Fi often gets jumpstarted in ENFPs. They spit out their raw thoughts and emotions, a draft really of what is going on in their head, to hear it out loud and often have realizations the second they hear themselves. Otherwise, the questions/analysis from the other party (as long as genuinly curious and not judgemental), causes them to reflect even deeper on what theyve said. Your Ti probably works similarly...and it can help you dig out what you feel and why :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks! Please, when doing so, talk to me like I'm completely stupid regarding functions. I'll get so much more out of it.

classic digest sarcasm or...?

i really should read these threads before I reply.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ah, okay. Well, I was really just commenting/disagreeing on his typology nomenclature. He was attributing those feelings to use of one function, Fi, while I was attributing it to the Ti/Fe functions that ENTPs, INTPs, ESTPs, and ISTPs have... so really, I was just arguing semantics. Otherwise, I understood what he was getting at, and he still did a really good job explaining what he meant. The only thing I would add is that all xxTPs experience this to a different degree, not just ENTPs. And by "this", I mean what he said here: "power of real, deep, profound feeling, appreciation of impulse and adventure, and yes, that ever-elusive superpower: love", which he calls "Fi experienced through Ti".

The comics he shows are probably pretty specific to ENTPs though :D (Though I've met plenty of ENTPs that have learned to have an almost ESTP-like swagger with women).

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I must've experienced only the despair and paranoia varieties. Ahem. I hate even admitting that btw. I'm curious what Steph has to say too.

Being that you hate admitting it, I definitely would like to know the end of this sentence, "I must've experienced only the despair and paranoia varieties of _____________"

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
classic digest sarcasm or...?

i really should read these threads before I reply.

Not at all. I'm not ALWAYS sarcastic. I said something yesterday that wasn't as well.

KDude

Being that you hate admitting it, I definitely would like to know the end of this sentence, "I must've experienced only the despair and paranoia varieties of _____________"

Entertaining people?
Singing happy birthday?
Playing "house" with little girls?

All that comes to mind atm.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah, okay. Well, I was really just commenting/disagreeing on his typology nomenclature. He was attributing those feelings to use of one function, Fi, while I was attributing it to the Ti/Fe functions that ENTPs, INTPs, ESTPs, and ISTPs have... so really, I was just arguing semantics. Otherwise, I understood what he was getting at, and he still did a really good job explaining what he meant. The only thing I would add is that all xxTPs experience this to a different degree, not just ENTPs. And by "this", I mean what he said here: "power of real, deep, profound feeling, appreciation of impulse and adventure, and yes, that ever-elusive superpower: love", which he calls "Fi experienced through Ti".

The comics he shows are probably pretty specific to ENTPs though :D (Though I've met plenty of ENTPs that have learned to have an almost ESTP-like swagger with women).

Oh, I see. So, you disagree with the functions that are/could cause our complete and utter analysis paralysis. Hmmm. While I know that in the big picture, it doesn't really matter exactly which functions cause such a thing as the effects are the same, it still does matter a lot because in order to learn how to get past this and be truly effective when in a relationship or simply in the throes of love's bitch slap, I need to know the cause behind the effect.

And, yeah, the drawings applied I think to much younger ENTPs. They learn pretty quickly how to handle initial introductions. It's always the actual falling in love that causes the most problems. Once THAT happens, is when the train can go off the track.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I see. So, you disagree with the functions that are/could cause our complete and utter analysis paralysis. Hmmm. While I know that in the big picture, it doesn't really matter exactly which functions cause such a thing as the effects are the same, it still does matter a lot because in order to learn how to get past this and be truly effective when in a relationship or simply in the throes of love's bitch slap, I need to know the cause behind the effect.

And, yeah, the drawings applied I think to much younger ENTPs. They learn pretty quickly how to handle initial introductions. It's always the actual falling in love that causes the most problems. Once THAT happens, it's when the train can go off the track.

Absolutely :yes: Couldn't have said it better myself! (Especially the needing to know the cause behind the effect -- damn you, Ti).

KDude

The secret way to get past it is to not care and be happily single (or... just single). But no one listens to my advice.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
The only thing I would add is that all xxTPs experience this to a different degree, not just ENTPs.

That's what I was thinking the whole time I was reading this article. Yeah, ENTPs have got issues when it comes to love. We analyse it to death, we compartmentalize it, hell we don't even trust it most of the time. But that's not a one type specific thang. Ask my ISTP roommate. Sure, he's never had trouble getting a girl to sleep with him, but he struggles expressing and accessing the feelings of love he has for his girlfriend.

The ENTP in the article wants someone with whom he can "truly" connect with. But that's not new. Almost everyone wants to be understood and to connect with their fellow man. Maybe I'm being overly critical of the article cause I have a knee-jerk eye-roll reaction to anything that implies "special snowflake" status of any one kind of person. It was an article that certainly hit home for me, but I think that it could probably hit home with many xxTPs.

Also, I find your defensive sarcastic attitude is kinda waylaying any kind of decent discourse about this. Do you want us all to unanimously agree with you on this article or talk about it from our different perspectives? You choose.

Permabanned
@ OP: what a bunch of convoluted, self-centered, narcissistically depicted, biased and highly accurate BS. :thumbdown:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
oh, i know. that's why i had to ask.

Any input would be great.

And, to all who read this, to clarify, I know the article is about ENTPs, but the guy who wrote it did it that way because that's the only perspective he can honestly speak about with any certainty. He'd have been totally wrong to add all XXTPs in with it.

I didn't read it as a special snowflake type article, but an honest depiction of his experience as his own type with this one aspect of his life. It's not an official study; he nor I ever claimed it is, but his own personal observation and one that I just happen to relate to and thought others might as well. Turns out that I was right which means I'm getting somewhere, growing, learning, progressing, and hopefully taking others with me.

Is this not what a forum is for? Discussion?

KDude

To be honest, I didn't even read the original article fully. Must've missed the unique snowflake bit.

W

WALMART

To be honest, I didn't even read the original article fully. Must've missed the unique snowflake bit.

The part speaking of xSxx's being a good match for us.

Which, the ambiguity of the type in of itself right there should imply that special snowflake status is not explicitly implied...

Any input would be great.

And, to all who read this, to clarify, I know the article is about ENTPs, but the guy who wrote it did it that way because that's the only perspective he can honestly speak about with any certainty. He'd have been totally wrong to add all XXTPs in with it.

I didn't read it as a special snowflake type article, but an honest depiction of his experience as his own type with this one aspect of his life. It's not an official study; he nor I ever claimed it is, but his own personal observation and one that I just happen to relate to and thought others might as well. Turns out that I was right which means I'm getting somewhere, and hopefully taking others with me.

Is this not what a forum is for? Discussion?

for many, i believe it is for being correct.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know he used an S as his 'nemesis' who did much better, but I didn't see him doing it in such a way that it was an insult. More like a compliment to their competence. Unless, I'm forgetting something that was said in it. That's possible.
:thinking:
Yeah, I got that it was being used wrong. I've seen it play out a lot on forums, etc. too, but what I didn't get was how it's relevant to the link.
However, I'M not doing that. I'M not saying anything bad about S's at all. That has nothing to do with what I'm hoping to learn.
I apologize in case that was harsh, I'm sure your intentions are good. I didn't criticize you, just the article. But if it gave people some food for thought, then I guess it was a worthwhile read.