• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's: Can We Become Successful?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Steve Jobs = ENTP

Reality distortion field.

Debating for fun.

Hatred of IBM = fitting into society.

Creating a company because he wouldn't fit anywhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKYK_K5acM

Changing of opinions on a dime. Tim Cook recounts it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPiM0DxPkM

His key word was "Focus" coming back to Apple the second time. The need for simplicity in products, both of which are ENTPs weaknesses turned into strengths. Our constant need for novelty makes us great starters but poor finishers.

Known as incredibly charming and charismatic.

Hair down to his ass, walking barefoot and traveling to India to find himself.

Innovated and re-imagined the following industries:

Personal Computers

3D Animation (Pixar)

Smart phones

Tablets

Retail stores

Emphasis on educational learning. Leaving Apple the first time he founded NeXT a computer company aimed at computers.

No license plate on his car. Believing he was special and different.

Emphasis on "purity" of products and people.

Putting his bare feet on the table and asking new recruits if they were virgins to see how they'd react.

Steve Jobs = ENTP

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
03:05

EDIT: which are more like guidelines since everybody has their own road ahead

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Steve Jobs was indeed an ISTP. Not ENTP. And Bill Gates is ENTJ, not INTP. The true NTP are Steve Wozniack and Paul Allen, who had a lot of ideas, and were innovative but unpractical, they would go nowhere without the tenacious and pragmatic Se and Ni users that Steve J and Bill G are. Now, to know if ENTPs can be succesful...

His key word was "Focus"

Proof that he was ISTP, not ENTP.

Hyacinth

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everything can be conquered, just start with realistic goals at first and then move up to harder and harder things. That's how my ENTP boyfriend became a lawyer. :)

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Steve Jobs was indeed an ISTP. Not ENTP. And Bill Gates is ENTJ, not INTP. The true NTP are Steve Wozniack and Paul Allen, who had a lot of ideas, and were innovative but unpractical, they would go nowhere without the tenacious and pragmatic Se and Ni users that Steve J and Bill G are. Now, to know if ENTPs can be succesful...

Proof that he was ISTP, not ENTP.

Read the biography.

You obviously don't understood when he was at NeXT he couldn't focus anything. He created an incredible machine without a realistic market. He was everywhere, and the mantra came out of the fact that he learnt that being a great CEO required focus. Bill Gates is also INTP.

Please explain to me where going to India to learn meditation, walking barefoot around the office and asking if new recruits are virgins falls into ISTP?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Read the biography.

You obviously don't understood when he was at NeXT he couldn't focus anything.

he was unfocused, yet focused. So, ISTP.

He created an incredible machine without a realistic market. He was everywhere, and the mantra came out of the fact that he learnt that being a great CEO required focus.

That has nothing especially related to the ENTP type.

Bill Gates is also INTP.

No. Bill Gates is a pragmatic and realistic executive who's driven to play the role of a public figure. That's ENTJ, not INTP.

Please explain to me where going to India to learn meditation, walking barefoot around the office and asking if new recruits are virgins falls into ISTP?

ISTPs can have spiritual needs to. And an IP is more prone to learn meditation than a EP. The rest is just the nonconforming yet utilitarian ISTP style.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
he was unfocused, yet focused. So, ISTP.

That has nothing especially related to the ENTP type.

No. Bill Gates is a pragmatic and realistic executive who's driven to play the role of a public figure. That's ENTJ, not INTP.

ISTPs can have spiritual needs to. And an IP is more prone to learn meditation than a EP. The rest is just the nonconforming yet utilitarian ISTP style.

The statement "nonconforming yet utilitarian" is a laughable argument. You might as well say Jobs is an ENTJ because his deep need to be liked made him want to create cool machines. But, the argument for ISTP holds no water. Besides, Jobs was famous for enjoying debates, so much so that it scared those around him. A deep need for collaboration by talking things through. Apple is famous for holding many meetings and everyone coming together.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
You can start by spending less time on the internet.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The statement "nonconforming yet utilitarian" is a laughable argument. You might as well say Jobs is an ENTJ

No, because he disliked too much rigid stuctures to be an ENTJ.

Besides, Jobs was famous for enjoying debates, so much so that it scared those around him. A deep need for collaboration by talking things through. Apple is famous for holding many meetings and everyone coming together.

Steve J did not use Ne.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Success: to what end? Ans: Death, inevitably.

As long as I have a nice big home, with lots of land around it, and a nice big family...I'm good to go.
In the meantime, it's more or less just putting myself in that position.
When I'm not doing that, I'm bored, or sleeping.

That's my definition of success...though I'm not entp. Maybe my standards are low...

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always thought Steve Jobs was an ENTP

He was. In fact, I relate to a tremendous amount in his autobiography (both the good and the bad).

I think there are two differences in him and many ENTPs:

1.He had a more singular vision than the typical scattered ENTP

2. He seemingly was more willing to be a control freak (even over other people. Many N's like to take control over their ideas, but he saw people as tools, in many cases I imagine, that could also be controlled in the face of his ideas).

It seems like many ENTPs have one or the other of these traits, but both can be very powerful.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
He was. In fact, I relate to a tremendous amount in his autobiography (both the good and the bad).

I think there are two differences in him and many ENTPs:

1.He had a more singular vision than the typical scattered ENTP

2. He seemingly was more willing to be a control freak (even over other people. Many N's like to take control over their ideas, but he saw people as tools, in many cases I imagine, that could also be controlled in the face of his ideas).

It seems like many ENTPs have one or the other of these traits, but both can be very powerful.

Steve always talks about the era in which he grew up in.

A particularly interesting thing is his need to make everything a spiritual cause. When ENTPs have an environment where they feel a great change or revolution is stirring we are at our best. This era of personal computers and the arrival of the information age was exactly that and a catalyst to focus.

I feel lost when things are dull and not intensely changing. It's said that Steve was almost useless in day to day activities at the companies he owned: Apple, NeXT and Pixar. But, when Apple was 90 days from becoming insolvent he shined. When Pixar was about to be sold to Disney he shined as well.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Pixar’s People

Apple has some pretty amazing people, but the collection of people at Pixar is the highest concentration of remarkable people I have ever witnessed. There’s a person who’s got a Ph.D. in computer-generated plants—3-D grass and trees and flowers. There’s another who is the best in the world at putting imagery on film. Also, Pixar is more multidisciplinary than Apple ever will be. But the key thing is that it is much smaller. Pixar’s got 450 people. You could never have the collection of people that Pixar has now if you went to two thousand people.

—Steve Jobs CNNMoney/Fortune, November 9, 1998

If you watch Bill Gates talk over the year you'll never hear him talk much about the culture or people of Microsoft. There isn't really a focus on the people. If you watch even from the earliest of times to the later years all of Steve's efforts were focused on people. It completely rules out ISTP. Watch him talk about children:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lvMgMrNDlg

His ability to size people up quickly is definitely an ENTP type of trait.

Then look at how he talks here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYfNvmF0Bqw

He's talking about constructing life. It's the idea of it, and it isn't grounded in anything very concrete. He's definitely an ideas type of guy, and he rarely could do any of the things he wanted to be great very well: engineering, coding, etc. I doubt any ISTP would want to be CEO very much, but read his biography. He loved being CEO, he loved assembling the best people and allowing them to collaborate to create great things.