User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Xnfp

Default INTP - married, infidelity, cheating, emo. affair

What I have read about INTPs is that they are not prone to affairs. However, I met one who flirted heavily with me, would gappingly, almost open-mouth *stare* at me, get nervous around me, and even sent me shocking FU eyes. I was intrigued... flirted back only to find out this guy is married. I think he is a 5w4. Is this typical?

I have read that men sometimes are just looking for an ego boost through flirting. This was not just lite "play flirting", but a bit more intense, and I think he ended up falling for me a bit. Is this just a male thing --- do INTPs just go around seeking attention from women like this?

Any insight related to the above example or general viewpoints into the matter of married INTPs "searching elsewhere" is welcome. Afterthought - do you think INTPs can actively be in love with multiple people at the same time?
    Last edited by treeleaning; 05-20-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: ..

heart on fire

Well, sounds like there's plenty of trouble and drama available there, if you're up for it!

MBTI
    Xnfp

Do you mean that he isn't just passively trying to boost his ego, (or is everything all wrapped into that...)? I doubt he would ever leave his wife - but he does seem a bit sad - he has children too. I am just intrigued - b/c the furnance between us was/is hot. Damn him being married....

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Passing men who feel trapped in their life will often behave as you describe. The flirting, the sadness, knowing they're not willing to risk things nor wanting to be unfaithful... but wishing for something more anyway despite feeling guilty over it.

(hmmm... wow, what a sad story.)

Without knowing him or watching him, though, I couldn't say anything for sure. Just saying it's a possibility.

And something that happens here, they're sort of "flashing their availability" but looking for you to be the proactive one so they don't have to make the hard decision to cheat or be as culpable (in their minds) if it actually happens. So I would just be careful and keep the boundaries in place. Don't be the one who crosses the line.

As far him being in love with more than one person? Sure. Anyone can do that, can't they? The thing that is unique is the commitment that is made to one of those people, if there's a marriage.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Xnfp

When he is near me he tends to beam, but I can see his frustration and being an NF I can also see his angst and sadness... He intially dropped very subtle hints for me to come to him so-to-speak and did all these attentive things... - but learning he was married I didn't go there.

I would imagine he loves his wife, (don't know to what degree), but why would he remain in a "trapped" state if he did not? I guess tons of people remain in marriages for the sake of the children - this can arguably be good and bad - but you have the rest of you life to live....

I guess I am a bit angry as he really "shouldn't have gone there" if he knew he ultimately was not available....

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by treeleaning View Post
    Afterthought - do you think INTPs can actively be in love with multiple people at the same time?
    Any type can experience this. It's called polyamory - Amazon.com: The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities: Dossie Easton, Catherine A. Liszt: Books
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by treeleaning View Post
    When he is near me he tends to beam, but I can see his frustration and being an NF I can also see his angst and sadness... He intially dropped very subtle hints for me to come to him so-to-speak and did all these attentive things... - but learning he was married I didn't go there.
    I think that's wise. When I think of myself in that situation, I know it's not where I would want to be... I wouldn't want to contribute to him hurting his wife and family, and I wouldn't want to be with someone who was that passive anyway, because he would be that passive with ME if we ever got involved and perhaps move onto someone else while stringing me along, etc.

I would imagine he loves his wife, (don't know to what degree), but why would he remain in a "trapped" state if he did not? I guess tons of people remain in marriages for the sake of the children - this can arguably be good and bad - but you have the rest of you life to live....
    It is very very hard for passive people (and I think INTP men, because they live a lot in their heads, can be externally passive and relationally/emotionally inept) to take the risk and change their lives. They would rather flex as much as possible, so as to not hurt others and ALSO to avoid risk/change/damage, and instead hope the situation resolves positively on its own.

Some people never get past that. Eventually he will get so miserable either he will end things or he will choose to work on the relationship and be happy there. Meanwhile, he's going to be in this limbo, where he's unhappy but unwilling to make changes in either direction. I would stay away.

I guess I am a bit angry as he really "shouldn't have gone there" if he knew he ultimately was not available....
    That's not a bad reaction. Sigh.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's not an INTP thing, though it could be kind of a P thing, I suppose.

He could be in an open marriage, though I wouldn't give that much credibility unless his wife confirmed that that was the case.

If not, this guy is doing both you (and anyone else he's doing the high-powered flirting with) and his wife dirty, IMO. He is not taking responsibility for himself and his decisions. Maybe he consciously or subconsciously hopes that an outside relationship will be a catalyst for ending an unhappy relationship with his wife, either because she finds out and kicks him out or his lover insists that he leave his wife. Or maybe he's just a philandering jerk, who knows? Doesn't seem like good LTR material to me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    He could be in an open marriage, though I wouldn't give that much credibility unless his wife confirmed that that was the case.
    I doubt he is in open marriage with sad, longing look. I am not prepared to call him a jerk. I don't know his situation in his marriage and he hasn't crossed the line far enough yet. jmo.

MBTI
    Xnfp

I do know that he is a workaholic and from subtle phrases he doesn't have that mental bond with his wife.

He is a bonifide INTP - hiding in office/socially awkward at times - amazing brain - the whole bit. I would agree with Jennifer that he is emmotionally passive - always waiting for someone else to make the move, but wanting "more" - and practices Eastern religion - so tends to let things just *happen* - just *be*.

I also think he kind of got licked - in that he fell for someone and probably didn't know he could feel like that again?? And I kind of got licked too But to not do anything about it with either I or his wife, I agree is a bit cowardly or similar to the INTP - afraid of the unpredictability of future vs. the known.