User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Default Personality disorders and mbti.

As I have been reading over the last few days about bpd (borderline personality disorder) it seems like alot of the symptoms of this disorder seem like introvert characteristic`s and so I was wondering could somone who is a extrovert who has bpd be misinterpreted as introvert or vice versa because some people who have bpd can have uncontrollable anger. But however you would never know if this is true because even though you can make life easier using treatment for bpd you cant cure so you would always have it or could a disorder like bpd be the reason there i or a e. Any thoughts or criticism of this by somone with more experience and knowledge would be much appreciated.
    Likes Numbly Aware liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

i or e isn't determined by BPD, with that said although i believe don't know for sure, but believe that most people with BPD are e's just because of the nature of the disorder. jm2cents
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I imagine that introverts and extroverts would exhibit different attributes of the disorder, in differing degrees. An 'E' may engage in more external risky behavior, like driving fast, more parting, promiscuity; an 'I' may become more isolated, ruminate, be less social but perhaps more clingy, while still numbing out with substances. So I/E may be involved in the reaction to the original trauma, but not in experiencing it in the first place.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

INTP - Schizoid
    ENTP - Narcissistic
    INTJ - Schizotypal
    ENTJ - Sadistic
    INFP - Histrionic
    ENFP - Paranoid
    INFJ - Avoidant
    ENFJ - Obsessive Compulsive
    ISTP - Antisocial
    ESTP - Narcissistic
    ISFP - Borderline
    ESFP - Borderline
    ISTJ - Depressive
    ESTJ - Passive Aggressive
    ISFJ - Dependant
    ESFJ - Self Defeating

Those are just vague generalizations for what type is most likely to have which of the 14 personality disorders, but theoretically any type could have any of the 14 personality disorders.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

People with BPD are supposed to make frantic efforts to avoid abandonment, engage in risky and/or suicidal behaviour, have trouble with their identity, poor emotional regulation etc. How are these introvert characteristics, or what other BPD characteristics are supposed to be introvert-like? I really don't get that.

I have until recently (when I couldn't take it any more) dealt a lot with someone who at least has BPD-like characteristics and was pretty obsessed with me. I dealt with stalking behaviours, inappropriate anger, efforts to appropriate my personality (ie. adopting all my interests, dressing like me, acting like my friends were all her friends, etc etc). I think she is either an outgoing INFP, or a withdrawn ENFP, but it is hard to tell when someone is plainly mentally ill. She was always going on about being an introvert - but then, she also seemed to think that the way to become friends with people was to force herself into their life and force them to spend time with her, which doesn't seem all that introverted. (She also does a lot of random interaction on the internet, being aggressive and starting arguments, that kind of thing.)

So, I don't know. But I really don't think that BPD makes you look like an introvert or vice versa.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    People with BPD are supposed to make frantic efforts to avoid abandonment, engage in risky and/or suicidal behaviour, have trouble with their identity, poor emotional regulation etc. How are these introvert characteristics, or what other BPD characteristics are supposed to be introvert-like? I really don't get that.

I have until recently (when I couldn't take it any more) dealt a lot with someone who at least has BPD-like characteristics and was pretty obsessed with me. I dealt with stalking behaviours, inappropriate anger, efforts to appropriate my personality (ie. adopting all my interests, dressing like me, acting like my friends were all her friends, etc etc). I think she is either an outgoing INFP, or a withdrawn ENFP, but it is hard to tell when someone is plainly mentally ill. She was always going on about being an introvert - but then, she also seemed to think that the way to become friends with people was to force herself into their life and force them to spend time with her, which doesn't seem all that introverted. (She also does a lot of random interaction on the internet, being aggressive and starting arguments, that kind of thing.)

So, I don't know. But I really don't think that BPD makes you look like an introvert or vice versa.
    The woman I was engaged to (a bazillion years ago) seemed to be vaguely XSFP. I think it's a little difficult to imagine a BPD loner because of the need to be glommed onto someone else. My fiancée certainly wasn't interested in any kind of "alone time" or "away time" in any kind of way... she found it deeply threatening and distressing. Good times.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    The woman I was engaged to (a bazillion years ago) seemed to be vaguely XSFP. I think it's a little difficult to imagine a BPD loner because of the need to be glommed onto someone else. My fiancée certainly wasn't interested in any kind of "alone time" or "away time" in any kind of way... she found it deeply threatening and distressing. Good times.
    Yeah, that's it exactly. THat sounds a lot like my ex-friend. I actually get the impression that she has used "introvert" as a sort of simile for "bad attitude" and "anti-social". She'd go on about "I'm an introvert so people just don't understand me", but glomming onto certain people and being hostile towards others (or sometimes glomming and being hostile to the same person) does not an introvert make.

I honestly think this girl corresponds most to ENFP but like I said, it's hard to tell if someone is obviously quite disturbed. Certainly, she'd seem threatened by me not paying constant attention to her (though before I phased her out completely out of despair, I was already ignoring her texts and calls a lot more and that sort of thing) and she'd do things like put her arm through mine (she would literally cling physically to me so hard that I sometimes had to practically break her fingers to get her to let go) and then when I'd try to gently ease mine away she'd be like "YOU'RE REJECTING ME!!! I'VE BEEN ALONE AND REJECTED MY WHOLE LIFE AND THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE!!!". You know, reacting like I'd tried to throw her under a train and run away, instead of wanting some natural personal space and not wanting my boundaries violated. (No comprehension at all of personal boundaries - that seems to be another characteristic.)

I really do want to know how all this seems related to "Introvert".
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post

What I mean and maybe I should of explained this better but what I meant was how they answered questions because to me they could answer in the same way a Introvert or Extrovert would in certain areas and maybe even certain introvert types such as a intj or w/e so then they could get misinterpreted as a Introvert but in all reality be Extrovert or vice versa

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    If there goal is to avoid rejection wouldnt it make sense to be alone? If your distrustful and in general have had bad experiences with people why engage with them? http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoda...interviewg.htm read this http://www.borderlinepersonalitytoda...main/facts.htm and this

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The goal seems to be to fill the emptiness inside/the lack of personal identity by glomming onto others in a really hardcore way. Then you try to avoid rejection by frantically pursuing the person (stalking, jealousy, imitating, etc) and trying to force them to remain in your life. Not so much by shutting yourself away from people altogether... Not from the experience I now have with (at least) BPD-style behaviours, or from anything I've heard from people who have dealt with it.

Cutting off from other people entirely sounds more avoidant or extremely introverted.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING