12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default INTPs: Precision vs. Details

What exactly is the difference between being precise and being detail oriented?

Several descriptions will talk about the precision found in INTPs. It's probably an INTP who devised a supercomputer to compute pi to millions of decimal places. For all practical purposes you only need to know the first few.

It's not as common but I've heard some people describing INTPs as detail oriented. Now, this is normally associated with sensing types. I suppose it depends on the type of details. INTPs tend to be portrayed as absent-minded and they are often the types missing some detail like their socks not matching and not realizing it. But maybe INTPs are quite attentive to the details in the areas that are important to us. We do have tertiary Si.

So what do you see as the difference between the two? Can you be precise without being detail oriented?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    What exactly is the difference between being precise and being detail oriented?

Several descriptions will talk about the precision found in INTPs. It's probably an INTP who devised a supercomputer to compute pi to millions of decimal places. For all practical purposes you only need to know the first few.

It's not as common but I've heard some people describing INTPs as detail oriented. Now, this is normally associated with sensing types. I suppose it depends on the type of details. INTPs tend to be portrayed as absent-minded and they are often the types missing some detail like their socks not matching and not realizing it. But maybe INTPs are quite attentive to the details in the areas that are important to us. We do have tertiary Si.

So what do you see as the difference between the two? Can you be precise without being detail oriented?
    It's about interconnection or being systematical. Precise has a central theme that connects everything whereas with detail-oriented, not necessarily. Precise is necessarily detail-oriented whereas the other way does not apply. And, yes to the bolded part. Everything that matters (everything that is logically connectable) is emphasized to infinitesimal levels whereas everything that don't matter to the system is irrelevant. This is why some people think that INTP's are the "worst listeners."

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Precision is simplicity, the ultimate sophistication, and details are complications, something any fool can use to make solutions jumbled and less elegant. Precision is like marble, perfect and pristine.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    It's about interconnection or being systematical. Precise has a central theme that connects everything whereas with detail-oriented, not necessarily. Precise is necessarily detail-oriented whereas the other way does not apply. And, yes to the bolded part. Everything that matters (everything that is logically connectable) is emphasized to infinitesimal levels whereas everything that don't matter to the system is irrelevant. This is why some people think that INTP's are the "worst listeners."
    Yup, precision seems to simply be a focus upon relevant details.
    Details is, well, about all the details, whether they are essential to the basic core of the system or not.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Society

i think INTPs tend to be precise in their definitions and semantics, methodical and through. just like ISTPs will notice details out of place, INTPs will notice variables out of pattern, but otherwise the application of the word "detail oriented" applies more as a metaphor for variables rather then a concrete application of a trait.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i think INTPs tend to be precise in their definitions and semantics, methodical and through. just like ISTPs will notice details out of place, INTPs will notice variables out of pattern, but otherwise the application of the word "detail oriented" applies more as a metaphor for variables rather then a concrete application of a trait.
    Yup. I guess the precision comes out of getting into the details.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Mmm. I think that INTP precision is largely about making fine distinctions and subtle discriminations, whittling away chaff and filler until the form of an idea is sharp and clear - and we're often not that thrilled about working that idea until it *is* sharp and clear. I want a desktop Dalek that will scream "Define your terms! DEFINE YOUR TERMS!!" at the push of a button. I'm sure I can't be alone in this.

Which is very different to what many people mean by "detail oriented", which is "good at ticking a long list of boxes or inputting lots of similar data without making a mistake", in the best traditions of sensors...
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Thanks for the above responses. Based on what you've all said I am very precise in the INTP sense. I can be detail oriented or not. I have unintentionally worn mismatched socks to work. But I am also the one who notices shit like when a tile is missing from the floor. Maybe that's just me though. I also notice contradictions all the time and I don't go actively looking for them. They just seem to spontaneously pop out at me. One time my library was having a guest coming to present a magic show to children and the time listed on the website and the flier were listed differently. I always seem to be the first person to catch things like that.

The Type Talk book gives an example of the difference between S and N types regarding the time of day. If someone asks you "What time is it?" the S will most likely respond with 2:51 while the N would most likely respond with "almost three." Well I do both and it depends on context. If someone obviously looks like they're in a hurry, I'm more likely to give a time to the nearest minute. If they look to just be curious more than anything, I'll probably round to nearest 10 minute increment. It also depends if I'm reading from a digital or analog clock. From a digital clock, it's just easier to read off the exact time then to try to round off. Opposite is true with an analog clock.

With job applications, I have the tendency to include too much stuff initially and then try to whittle it down later. My reasoning is that many of the tasks and skills may seem quite minor but each of these can add something to the whole package and you never know who might be looking for that one skill. On the other hand, my supervisor changed her email address and I almost went ahead and submitted the application without changing it on there because I was trying to be more efficient by working from some template and normally what changes between applications is what tasks and skills I choose to emphasize. Luckily I caught the error just in time.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    I want a desktop Dalek that will scream "Define your terms! DEFINE YOUR TERMS!!" at the push of a button. I'm sure I can't be alone in this.
    I'm probably not INTP, but that'd be kinda cool. For awhile at least.

Ginkgo

One must see and say things precisely to see and describe the details of those things. Precision is also necessary to see and describe the "big picture". Precision requires a detailed understanding of where one thing ends and another begins.