User Tag List

First 20282930

Socionics
    ESI None

Hi. I havent read the entire thread(theres alot!lol) so Im sorry if these questions have already been adressed.

I think there is some confusion to me about the meaning of the word "witch"... What does it mean to you be a witch, is that the same thing as being Wiccan? Or does it mean something else? Do you practice an form of magic? How would you catgeorize your beliefs(if at all, I know alot of folks dont like categorizations)?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Hi. I havent read the entire thread(theres alot!lol) so Im sorry if these questions have already been adressed.

I think there is some confusion to me about the meaning of the word "witch"... What does it mean to you be a witch, is that the same thing as being Wiccan? Or does it mean something else? Do you practice an form of magic? How would you catgeorize your beliefs(if at all, I know alot of folks dont like categorizations)?
    There are many definitions and interpretations of the word "witch". It has become a perjorative term, through the misunderstanding and distrust of those following earth-based religions. Many members of those faiths want to reclaim the term to mean something more accurate and neutral about who modern witches are. In my tradition, "witch" is used for both men and women. It refers to the practical side of things, e.g. spellwork, using herbs and tools, handling energy, etc. The other half is the spiritual side, namely what a person believes about the divine, the purpose and meaning of life, what happens after death, etc. The term "Wiccan" applies to this. We see both halves as equally necessary for a productive life. One can thus be a witch without being Wiccan, or without having any beliefs about deity, afterlife, etc., though they do help. Similarly, one can be Wiccan in belief without practicing any of the "crafts" that comprise witchcraft, and thus not really be a witch. Of course, that is my interpretation, based on my spiritual group; others may see things differently.

As for categorizing my beliefs, I do tend to resist this among mainstream groups because the terms I would use can be loaded for them, and lead instantly to misunderstandings and false assumptions that make the rest of the conversation unproductive. When asked my religion, I tell people that I resist labelling, but am happy to discuss my beliefs. (I am, and I do.) To the open-minded and genuinely curious, I would call myself a Wiccan. To keepers of government statistics, I would say simply pagan. This way, the many subgroups of paganism will all add up in one umbrella faith group, just as the many denominations of Christianity all are counted as Christians. There are more of us than most people realize.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WALMART

Why do you believe what you do? Are there spots of your faith completely propagated by the simple act of faith itself? If only partially, what are these areas of belief and what substance do they hold in reality?

Do you ever feel there are alternatives that better explain the phenomena you attempt to elucidate through your beliefs?

What is your history of the pursuit for spiritual attainment?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Why do you believe what you do? Are there spots of your faith completely propagated by the simple act of faith itself? If only partially, what are these areas of belief and what substance do they hold in reality?
    I don't consider my beliefs to have anything to do with faith. That was one of the main things I rejected about Christianity. I only believe the things I can explain. Granted often my explanation for things is somewhat esoteric, but if I can find some way it makes sense along with what we know about physics, it is possible in my opinion. I also think science has not progressed enough to really be able to sufficiently explain everything; thinking we have all the answers is an arrogant attitude in my opinion. But I'm a skeptic on most things. I reserve judgment on anything I'm not certain about.

There are, however, a lot of things I think might be the case, or probably are the case, on which I've reserved official judgment; those are things I have theories about consistent with physics and quantum theory and such, and my experience and those of others. But if it comes down to it, I'm more ready to reject one of my beliefs than scientific evidence.

Like, I'm not certain that anything happens to us after we die, that some sorts of psychic ability exist, that ghosts or fairies exist, that reincarnation is true, that I can talk to plants, or that gods exist. But I have explanations for how some of these things could kind of be true in a certain way of thinking about them which is not literal. I really don't believe deities exist independent of us; I think we created them as thought forms. But I have had experiences which I think are meaningful, so I explain them as my consciousness interacting with the collective consciousness and collections of energy. A lot of times I'm skeptical that magic exists, but whatever I do seems to work, and it's all just energy.

I suppose I have a sort of faith in positivity, the universe moving toward greater balance and harmony, and people trying to be good to each other even if they don't know how. I think that's part of how reality works, but I know it involves a certain amount of faith, and if it is not the case I'm not going to be upset.

Do you ever feel there are alternatives that better explain the phenomena you attempt to elucidate through your beliefs?
    My mind continually wrestles with mysticism and rationality, trying to reconcile the two.
    What is your history of the pursuit for spiritual attainment?
    Oh boy, do you want the short version or the long version?

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post

What @Coriolis said is accurate. I would add that I was taught that "witch" came from words referring to a "wise" man or woman, a shaman or medicine person of sorts; this was a person who practiced healing both on the physical and spiritual plane, midwifery, energy work (dealing with the metaphysical), and who presided over ceremonies of birth, death, and important life events in between. Together these comprise the spiritual and practical crafts of the wise. There is not a social role comparable in our societies now, but the knowledge is returning, and people who practice these crafts can be called witches.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Here is a document I wrote describing what a witch is, if you would like to read something long and comprehensive:
    @Coriolis, I am interested in what you think of it and to what degree your beliefs are consistent.

I think I overused the word "consciousness." I'd like to revise it and change that.

Socionics
    ESI None

@greenfairy @Coriolis

Thank you for your interesting responses, and the document, which addressed my questions.