User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 297

  1. #141
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Can I get some specific examples of ideas which are impractical, and why please?

  2. #142
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Where? where have I made false dichotomies?
    I just thought it was relevant.

    Earlier you were explaining your empathic abilities, psychic abilities, and your connection with other living things and even the earth itself. You also mentioned your confusion. I also believe that everyone has potential psychic abilities that depend on intuition, but I also believe that those who are proud and egocentric about it will naturally find that their abilities wane. You seemed to confuse yourself with others; developing a hygienic ego and sense of self in relation to the rest of the world, rather than dependent on the rest of the world, I believe may let you tune in to others with a greater degree of accuracy. A simple step in the right direction might be to recognize the psyche/soul as independent of the body, yet a driver for the vehicle that corresponds with the vehicle. In other words, they depend on each other to complete the mind+body, yet still exist independently of each other. Zen, yes, but not esoteric at all. One of the aims of the occult is to marry science and spirituality. I believe that each practice has its place, and without recognizing them as independent methods of understanding The Ultimate Reality, as you put it, it is unreasonable to expect to understand them as a couple, each dependent on the couple. Science does not neglect spirituality and spirituality does not neglect science.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Just because ideas are impractical at the present moment does not mean they are useless, as they advance our knowledge, and with the advance of knowledge, we can impose greater order upon the world in the future, as the sorcery of today becomes the science of tomorrow! The magic of philosophy will take us to those new worlds that never were in our time, though the journey is long in the coming.

    edit - Witches are wiser than wizards, because they are less arrogant in their command of their powers, as we wizards think we are the world's greatest, and we are!

  4. #144
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Just because ideas are impractical at the present moment does not mean they are useless, as they advance our knowledge, and with the advance of knowledge, we can impose greater order upon the world in the future, as the sorcery of today becomes the science of tomorrow! The magic of philosophy will take us to those new worlds that never were in our time, though the journey is long in the coming.

    edit - Witches are wiser than wizards, because they are less arrogant in their command of their powers, as we wizards think we are the world's greatest, and we are!
    What he said.

  5. #145
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I just thought it was relevant.

    Earlier you were explaining your empathic abilities, psychic abilities, and your connection with other living things and even the earth itself. You also mentioned your confusion. I also believe that everyone has potential psychic abilities that depend on intuition, but I also believe that those who are proud and egocentric about it will naturally find that their abilities wane. You seemed to confuse yourself with others; developing a hygienic ego and sense of self in relation to the rest of the world, rather than dependent on the rest of the world, I believe may let you tune in to others with a greater degree of accuracy. A simple step in the right direction might be to recognize the psyche/soul as independent of the body, yet a driver for the vehicle that corresponds with the vehicle. In other words, they depend on each other to complete the mind+body, yet still exist independently of each other. Zen, yes, but not esoteric at all. One of the aims of the occult is to marry science and spirituality. I believe that each practice has its place, and without recognizing them as independent methods of understanding The Ultimate Reality, as you put it, it is unreasonable to expect to understand them as a couple, each dependent on the couple. Science does not neglect spirituality and spirituality does not neglect science.
    Sounds reasonable. I don't see where my ideas are being impractical though. Thanks for explaining.

  6. #146
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Sounds reasonable. I don't see where my ideas are being impractical though. Thanks for explaining.
    Well I think beliefs are largely practical in how well you can communicate them. The defined nature of Christianity, for instance, is what has led to it being clear enough to even apply to political context; it is also the world's dominant religion. It's based on a large body of thought that's already been sewn together. I believe that there are many different paths in following the same unknowable God, but at the end of the day, monism and the common spiritual motifs we find in the world's traditions will be just as reductionist as a singular practice of Christianity. The biggest difference may be that understanding the big picture of monism demands time and effort; we typically can't afford to communicate this overarching message, which means that it's usefulness is limited. However, the usefulness is even more limited by the limited number of people in your area you might practice and discuss with. To really bear your fruits, I would think you would have to be fluent in many languages.

  7. #147
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Well I think beliefs are largely practical in how well you can communicate them. The defined nature of Christianity, for instance, is what has led to it being clear enough to even apply to political context; it is also the world's dominant religion. It's based on a large body of thought that's already been sewn together. I believe that there are many different paths in following the same unknowable God, but at the end of the day, monism and the common spiritual motifs we find in the world's traditions will be just as reductionist as a singular practice of Christianity. The biggest difference may be that understanding the big picture of monism demands time and effort; we typically can't afford to communicate this overarching message, which means that it's usefulness is limited. However, the usefulness is even more limited by the limited number of people in your area you might practice and discuss with. To really bear your fruits, I would think you would have to be fluent in many languages.
    Interesting perspective.

    I don't think there is one truth, rather that reality is composed of all realities combined. There are patterns reproduced in nature and existence, and underlying principles, and these can be universally known and recognized. In the days before modern science was invented, this is how people navigated life. They looked at patterns and principles, and applied them to their personal experiences. There is no universal dogma. Christianity's widespread success is largely due to people worshiping the written word and existing hierarchical social structures rather than thinking for themselves. Not that I'm down on anyone's personal Christian viewpoint; a personal spiritual experience from Christian point of view is valid, and effectively teaching some of the underlying principles of reality and harmony is valid (but I don't think Christianity does a good job of this); but religion, especially of an exclusive nature is inherently flawed and limited. There's an immediate flaw in logic. If reality is composed of the picture you get when you combine all viewpoints (like trying to map a mountain with a team of people- you need the findings of all of them), believing one experience of the divine and path to truth as valid to the exclusion of all others is necessarily false.

  8. #148
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Interesting perspective.

    I don't think there is one truth, rather that reality is composed of all realities combined. There are patterns reproduced in nature and existence, and underlying principles, and these can be universally known and recognized. In the days before modern science was invented, this is how people navigated life. They looked at patterns and principles, and applied them to their personal experiences. There is no universal dogma. Christianity's widespread success is largely due to people worshiping the written word and existing hierarchical social structures rather than thinking for themselves. Not that I'm down on anyone's personal Christian viewpoint; a personal spiritual experience from Christian point of view is valid, and effectively teaching some of the underlying principles of reality and harmony is valid (but I don't think Christianity does a good job of this); but religion, especially of an exclusive nature is inherently flawed and limited. There's an immediate flaw in logic. If reality is composed of the picture you get when you combine all viewpoints (like trying to map a mountain with a team of people- you need the findings of all of them), believing one experience of the divine and path to truth as valid to the exclusion of all others is necessarily false.
    I think I understand what you're saying, but isn't the reality that is "composed of all realities combined" a single path? How are alternative realities actually alternatives if you're excluding your first option? I believe that human beings do have inherently patterned platforms on which they interpret the world; this, I believe, is for a reason. Well, religion is only "flawed" if you expect it not to be religion. It sounds like you're referring to fundamentalism when you say "religion". People tend to worship dogma regardless, but some also read texts precisely because they are thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they choose to believe. The difficulty, then, is one that falls on the individual to actually take ownership of their ability to think, not religious text itself. I do agree with you, if you are talking about fundamentalism, that fundamentalism is a form of text worship. There are profound things to be seen in the symbolism of the text, if one is willing to see the recognition of symbols in a sort of osmosis learning process, rather than trying to actively make the symbols like what an overzealous elementary school English teacher might do.

  9. #149
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Ok. Reality is not a path. Reality is existence. Matter, space, and energy exist. This is objective reality, and has nothing to do with our perception. Being that we are individuals limited in our perception by a physical body, we are necessarily biased by our own experiences and environment.

    Religion, spirituality, philosophy, and any path, are completely relative to human existence. They have no relevance to trees, rabbits, or Jupiter. Truth and rightness are subjective. Truth is an idea, not a material object or a living thing; therefore it depends on beings with cognition in order to exist. Because truth is an idea in the minds of beings, it is only relevant to those beings. Meaning that any idea is filtered through the subjective lens of the one in whose brain it resides. The purpose of religion, spirituality, philosophy, and paths is to help individuals live their lives in ways consistent with their well being, and thus increase the collective well being. Any path then, if it becomes enacted by an individual, will suit that individual's needs (or not be used, and thus cease to be relevant). Thus, since these things are composed of ideas in the minds of individuals enacting them to suit their individual needs, there is no one "right" path.

    Reality is objective because it includes both animate and inanimate. It is existence. Therefore it is its own individual entity, but includes all others.

    1+1=2 (which equals a third entity) +1 =3



    Yin + Yang = yin yang symbol (1-->2-->3)

    See?

  10. #150
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Ok. Reality is not a path. Reality is existence. Matter, space, and energy exist. This is objective reality, and has nothing to do with our perception. Being that we are individuals limited in our perception by a physical body, we are necessarily biased by our own experiences and environment.

    Religion, spirituality, philosophy, and any path, are completely relative to human existence. They have no relevance to trees, rabbits, or Jupiter. Truth and rightness are subjective. Truth is an idea, not a material object or a living thing; therefore it depends on beings with cognition in order to exist. Because truth is an idea in the minds of beings, it is only relevant to those beings. Meaning that any idea is filtered through the subjective lens of the one in whose brain it resides. The purpose of religion, spirituality, philosophy, and paths is to help individuals live their lives in ways consistent with their well being, and thus increase the collective well being. Any path then, if it becomes enacted by an individual, will suit that individual's needs (or not be used, and thus cease to be relevant). Thus, since these things are composed of ideas in the minds of individuals enacting them to suit their individual needs, there is no one "right" path.

    Reality is objective because it includes both animate and inanimate. It is existence. Therefore it is its own individual entity, but includes all others.

    1+1=2 (which equals a third entity) +1 =3



    Yin + Yang = yin yang symbol (1-->2-->3)

    See?
    Is your path right for you?

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTJ] Ask an ISTJ Anything!
    By Smilephantomhive in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 12-14-2017, 06:52 AM
  2. Ask an INTP anything?
    By CognitiveLiberty in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 10-02-2016, 09:15 PM
  3. > ASK AN xSTP ANYTHING
    By Captain_Invincible in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM
  4. [SP] Ask an ISFP anything
    By avaxtskyr in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 03:58 AM
  5. Ask an ENFP anything
    By Lunar Light in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO