User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 28

  1. #1
    Member Maxcool131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    89

    Default Iq tests naturally favor Intj over Intp?

    As I was at a birthday party today I was thinking about intelligence tests and whether they really are accurate (the pattern based tests online only ones I am familiar with I have a general idea of the ones that psychologists make) and started thinking about how iq testing is supposed to be. But I think this is inadequate for intps because of several reasons 1: Intps tend to not to do well under stress and I think the idea of finishing any test in a certain amount of time is stress inducing and tends to screw up our creative juices which is our natural talent and helps us. 2: We have to concentrate on one single thing which as most of us know restricts us seeing as we our more a architect personality then a specialist. 3: Its timed so our reflection period is limited which is something a intp needs to come up with to make what they assume as a good decision.4:We hate being stuck in a box we approach things from outside the box (overused statement I know) and usually make up our own answer that fits to our usually unconventional thought patterns and so having to pick from 4 already pre-conceived answers seem to inhibit us even more. If there other threads that have been like this I am sorry and if you disagree please place your reason below and if you agree point what you agree with. Also this was just a general thought not something I have studied or looked into. If I need to be clarified on the subject please place below as well and point which part needs to clarified.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp
    Posts
    74

    Default

    1. How is your IQ supposed to be tested otherwise? Measuring (your intelligence) implies the idea of a test. Even if, say, someone came up with a less "invasive" method, the subjects (INTPs) would still be aware of the fact that they are tested, which would probably still result in stress. Learning how to cope with stress is a requirement in many situations, not an option, therefore not being able to do that can be translated into a lack of adaptability. Following the same train of thought, you could say that every sort of test in school is inadequate and, while I have many reasons to dislike the educational system in my country, at least, I don't think there is any better way to assess someone's knowledge or intelligence. "Creative juices"? Let's suppose someone's testing your knowledge of American history. Do you need to be particularly creative? In an IQ test, maybe it plays a bigger role, since you have to "figure some things out". Since we're in the "school" section, one could argue that students are under stress when supervised. Why this idea has no practical support is beyond the obvious.

    However, I personally can't think of a more INTP-favourable way of testing one's IQ. You may be very creative and have an architect personality, yet these are not the aspects that an IQ test measures. It measures your speed of thinking because, given enough time, many would be able to solve many of the questions there, which would make the differences between people fade. You could imagine it as running a 400 metres distance. Everyone can do it, provided they have enough time (I know the comparision's a bit forced, but it's supposed to reflect the idea that smart people get things faster). Whether or not IQ test accurately measure one's intelligence is another thing.

    PS: I like what you think about at birthday parties.

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    IQ tests seem to favor INTJs and ISTJs.

  4. #4
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxcool131 View Post
    1: Intps tend to not to do well under stress and I think the idea of finishing any test in a certain amount of time is stress inducing and tends to screw up our creative juices which is our natural talent and helps us.
    I don't agree with that. Why would an INTP have any harder time with stress than anyone else? I also think INTJs are pretty creative and that Ti would give the INTP an advantage because IQ tests are sort of a lot of puzzles anyway. An INTJ doesn't have the patience to deal with the linear thought pattern required to solve those puzzles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxcool131 View Post
    2: We have to concentrate on one single thing which as most of us know restricts us seeing as we our more a architect personality then a specialist.
    I have to concentrate on one thing at a time too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxcool131 View Post
    3: Its timed so our reflection period is limited which is something a intp needs to come up with to make what they assume as a good decision.
    I see no reason why an INTP would be any better or worse off then another type INTJ, INFJ, ENFP or any other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxcool131 View Post
    4:We hate being stuck in a box we approach things from outside the box (overused statement I know) and usually make up our own answer that fits to our usually unconventional thought patterns and so having to pick from 4 already pre-conceived answers seem to inhibit us even more.
    So you think INTPs have more unconventional thought patterns than INTJs? I know Ne is all over the place but look at Ni.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #5
    Member Maxcool131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon Corax View Post
    1. How is your IQ supposed to be tested otherwise? Measuring (your intelligence) implies the idea of a test. Even if, say, someone came up with a less "invasive" method, the subjects (INTPs) would still be aware of the fact that they are tested, which would probably still result in stress. Learning how to cope with stress is a requirement in many situations, not an option, therefore not being able to do that can be translated into a lack of adaptability. Following the same train of thought, you could say that every sort of test in school is inadequate and, while I have many reasons to dislike the educational system in my country, at least, I don't think there is any better way to assess someone's knowledge or intelligence. "Creative juices"? Let's suppose someone's testing your knowledge of American history. Do you need to be particularly creative? In an IQ test, maybe it plays a bigger role, since you have to "figure some things out". Since we're in the "school" section, one could argue that students are under stress when supervised. Why this idea has no practical support is beyond the obvious.

    However, I personally can't think of a more INTP-favourable way of testing one's IQ. You may be very creative and have an architect personality, yet these are not the aspects that an IQ test measures. It measures your speed of thinking because, given enough time, many would be able to solve many of the questions there, which would make the differences between people fade. You could imagine it as running a 400 metres distance. Everyone can do it, provided they have enough time (I know the comparision's a bit forced, but it's supposed to reflect the idea that smart people get things faster). Whether or not IQ test accurately measure one's intelligence is another thing.

    PS: I like what you think about at birthday parties.
    Ty I enjoy my thoughts at Birthday Parties :P You could imagine it as running a 400 metres distance. Everyone can do it, provided they have enough time. But the idea the Intp had at first could have been right and the fact that the time might affect there iq because we reflect more doesnt help us on this however in real life it might. Every thing else I pretty much agree with it I just think its in adequate for intps but if you have to test iq thats the only way I guess cant think of another way.

  6. #6
    Member Maxcool131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    IQ tests seem to favor INTJs and ISTJs.
    Your Gif mesmerizes me every single time.

  7. #7
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I don't agree. I think It favors Ti+Ne much more instead of Ni-Te, since a large part of IQ tests is the kind of spatial awareness puzzles that are specifically easy for Ne users and Ti is obviously going to be a nice asset for IQ tests.

    It is for this reason I don't put much stock in IQ tests as per measuring someones overall intelligence. It just measures a few aspects of intelligence that certain personality types will find easier than others. But to me intelligence is a much broader subject, not to mention the ability to use intelligence properly should also be considered a great factor in someones overall intelligence. That is something I see INTP's lack most of the times, regardless of their IQ. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxcool131 View Post
    Ty I enjoy my thoughts at Birthday Parties :P You could imagine it as running a 400 metres distance. Everyone can do it, provided they have enough time. But the idea the Intp had at first could have been right and the fact that the time might affect there iq because we reflect more doesnt help us on this however in real life it might. Every thing else I pretty much agree with it I just think its in adequate for intps but if you have to test iq thats the only way I guess cant think of another way.
    INTJs, too, reflect a hell of a lot. I do, however, see your point.
    Also, one could accuse IQ tests of favouring NTs over NFs, for example. And that's...preposterous.

  9. #9
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't agree. I think It favors Ti+Ne much more instead of Ni-Te, since a large part of IQ tests is the kind of spatial awareness puzzles that are specifically easy for Ne users and Ti is obviously going to be a nice asset for IQ tests.

    It is for this reason I don't put much stock in IQ tests as per measuring someones overall intelligence. It just measures a few aspects of intelligence that certain personality types will find easier than others. But to me intelligence is a much broader subject, not to mention the ability to use intelligence properly should also be considered a great factor in someones overall intelligence. That is something I see INTP's lack most of the times, regardless of their IQ. :P
    This was exactly my thinking as well. This link seems to debunk my theory about IQ though the sources aren't referenced.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #10
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Unlikely. Ti is pretty much the most useful function to judge the logical validity of a proposition. To judge its usefulness, not so much. But who cares? As long as we beat the INTJs...

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] INTJ and INTP Relationship
    By Jetta in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2017, 02:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 09:11 PM
  3. Do tests favor N over S?
    By To-A-T in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
  4. [NT] INTJs vs. INTPs
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
  5. I'm new here, INTJ, borderline INTP
    By The Ü™ in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO